What's new

New Tourer with DPF issues within 7 days

DadWagon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer DTEC EX Auto
Hi folks - bought my 09 Tourer on Sat and less than 7 days into my ownership and the DPF light is already on!

It sees the motorway everyday so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've already got a great insight into the DPF issues from reading the forum but here's my issue:

Bought as an approved used from dealer with 12 month warranty. So I paid a rather significant amount for it even though it's high mileage (full dealer history).

DPF not covered under the warranty but will be regenerated at their cost at my local dealer (not the same dealer I purchased from).

I'm pleased with that initial response but I know the issue will reoccur. Just looking for advice on how I should play it?

Demand a replacement?
Suck it up and remove DPF at my cost?
See what happens after regen?
See what can be done under their 30 day exchange policy?

I'm really miffed about this and haven't really got the time to be backwards and forwards to the dealer!

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

What milage on the car/ and can you find previous owner, could have been a shopping car or worse a cab

Take it back to the seller and get your money back!

It's done 115k - I've just texted the previous owner. It was subject to a regen and software update on Feb this year so an ongoing problem.

Wish I read the forum properly first. I stupidly thought that buying from a dealer with an approved warranty would protect me from nasty surprises like this...

Honestly you will just make it worse by constantly doing a forced regeneration. The software updates are pointless and every time you do a forced regen you are forcing more soot to accumulate and harden inside the cartridge which then blows back and clogs up the turbo.

Replace or Remove.

If you want a price for professional removal, drop me a line. We are very experienced with these.

Thanks F6HAD

I might have to get in touch with you at some point but...

I'm sat in the dealer who's basically informed me it's over a grand for a new DPF and from what I've read approx £500 for someone such as yourself to remove.

I just to can't accept spending that sort of money after 5 days of ownership of a Honda approved used car.

Also if I got it removed I might invalidate the 12 month warranty.

I bought and paid accordingly from the dealer because of the warranty!

I'm going to have words with the supplying dealer I think. Am I alone in thinking it is unacceptable?

Let's hope the dealer is a reasonable one.. I have known non honda dealers to pay for removal as it gets the monkey off their back.

Good advice but it's too late for any of that now. Trust me once you've seen the insides of one of these things you will know why nothing works and you'll wonder how the hell such an inherently flawed design was ever allowed into mass production across every manufacturer building diesel cars.

Get back to the seller, you have evidence of regen in your pocket, if he will not play ball then Honda UK, may liven him up. Was the previous owner a cabby?

Have you got the service book, and who looked after it. This dealer is he Honda approved. You have a case stick it to him.

Regarding the VW failings and the world press giving the diesel engine the thumbs down I wonder of removing the DPF would be a good idea, I can see us lot being sent to "special" testing stations ala heavy goods vehicles with equipment that will soon discover whether it is there or not.

Hi edgeoftime

No it wasn't a taxi, 1 private owner and pre-reg by a dealer.

Yes it's fully services by Honda Dealers with invoices and stamps.

It was bought by me on Sat from a Franchised Honda dealer sold to me as a Honda approved vehicle with a 12 month warranty.

I will be talking to the supplying dealer tomorrow. They have shown good will so far by paying for the regen and I hope it continues!

As a precaution I've also informed Honda HQ to make them aware and enquired if it should be covered by the warranty or not.

Fingers crossed.

This is a great site by the way and I appreciate all the input so far!

The US issue is something quite different. Their testing conditions are totally different to the outdated UK emissions test and they actually create a live testing environment on rollers to measure emissions under load (which is the correct way to measure). The VW software was designed to recognise those conditions and basically switch on every emission defeating weapon in its arsenal to beat the test.

Removing the DPF carefully in itself with a correct calibration of the ECU emissions control will still pass the current UK mot test. Where they fail is when people butcher them badly and leave evidence, or remove cats and don't calibrate ECU's properly.

Yes if they invested many millions and forced MOT stations up and down the country to update their systems they could come up with a new method of testing. Right now I believe it's highly unlikely in the near term at least.

Steve you have brought an Approved Honda from a dealers they should put a new DPF in no questions asked.
If not get hold of Honda uk and demand your money back as the car is not fit for the purpose.

Thanks Brett. I do hope so.

Yes the VW is something else f6had but everyone is talking about it. VW have dropped a massive you know what!

This isn't just an Accord problem any high mileage diesel with a DPF can have this.
People dont understand they are a service item, they dont last over 100k miles, if they do you're lucky.
Any fuel saving for diesel has been wiped out.
Buy a petrol.

I take your point richsprint but most 'service' items don't leave you dangerously underpowered with no warning and cost a grand to replace.

Honda shouldn't resell high mileage cars if they aren't prepared to warrant them.

It's not like I've bought a cheap runaround - I've spent good money buying under their own approved scheme.

Maybe it shouldn't have been approved?

Would you want to spend a grand on a cat you just bought within less than 7 days?

I realise it's not unique to Hondas and if I paid £2k less for the car private or at auction I would shrug it off and ring f6had up and organise its removal.

In Honda's own words...

WHY BUY AN APPROVED USED HONDA?
Buying you next new Honda is an exciting experience. You will be benefiting from our legendary reliability and be ***ured that your car is prepared to the highest standards by Honda trained technicians and supported by a full Honda guarantee.

Honda cars offer exceptional long-term value, technical innovation, distinctive looks and character. You will also be able to choose from a range of bespoke service packages to keep your car as good as new. With 200 dealers nationwide the network ensures outstanding customer service at your convenience.

At any one time there are up to 8,000 used cars to choose from on this website, providing you with the best choice of Approved Honda cars anywhere.

When you buy your Approved used Honda you will receive the added benefits of:

Complimentary 5-day drive-away insurance

An optional service that starts the second you leave the dealership. This means you can enjoy driving your Honda immediately, safe in the knowledge that we’ve got everything covered. (Acceptance is subject to Underwriters normal terms and acceptance criteria.)

A range of financial solutions

To help you buy the car of your dreams, we can provide flexible finance options that are tailored to your personal requirements.

The 12 month Honda Approved Used Car Guarantee

The guarantee, just like the new car warranty, is provided by Honda and includes Hondacare ***istance, our bespoke roadside ***istance package, which provides cover in the UK and Europe. We’ll even come out to you should you have a puncture or a flat battery. You also have the option to extend your guarantee at the end of 12 months.

Rigorous checking and preparation

Our Honda ‘Multipoint’ check, carried out by Honda trained technicians, ensures that your new car meets our high quality standards. Our multi-point includes lighting equipment and instruments, steering and suspension, brakes, and even body work. Your car will also undergo a detailed engine check and a thorough road test for your safety and satisfaction. Finally, your car goes through an in-depth valet and polish so that it’s fully prepared when you come to drive it away.

***ured vehicle history

Your Approved used Honda is comprehensively checked to confirm; previous ownership, any outstanding finance has been settled, has incurred no major accident damage, and any registration number change are noted. You will be provided with certification on delivery of your vehicle.

Mileage certification

Any vehicle which has not been owned and used by Honda UK or our Dealer Network will have the mileage checked against previous history, including writing to previous owners to ensure that there are no mileage irregularities. You will be provided with certification on delivery of your vehicle.

Preferential MOT Test

Your Honda dealer will carry out or arrange the ANNUAL MOT TEST on your car at preferential terms in conjunction with your annual scheduled service. You will benefit from this reduced cost on the understanding that the MOT TEST is carried out by your supplying dealer.

30-day exchange policy

Your new Honda approved used car has been subject to rigorous Multi Point Pre Sales check to give you the ***urance that you are purchasing an unrivalled quality car, however, we undertake that, should any mechanical or electrical defect occur within the first 30 days or 1000 miles of your ownership which cannot be rectified by an authorised Honda dealer, and providing that the car is in the same condition when purchased then your supplying dealer will exchange it for another of equivalent or greater value. Please refer to your nearest dealer for specific terms and conditions.

I feel your pain mate and I deal with people in a similar predicament to yours regularly.

I think there is responsibility on both sides really, buyer and seller. It's incumbent on the seller to make sure they've researched what they're buying and budget for known issues that are likel to happen at certain age/mileage.

But equally I agree, if Honda can't honour their own warranty pledge, then it's not worth the paper it's written on.

I hope you get it resolved. These really are great cars once you solve the dpf issue.

To be honest I normally research everything I buy but on this occasion my head was turned and I put to much faith in the dealer approval. I knew I was buying a 6 year old car with above average mileage but I paid a premium for it at a dealer for that extra piece of mind.

My previous car was a C200 Cdi W203 with 190k on the clock and no DPF issue at all!

I couldn't find another Merc and had fond memories of my lasts Honda a 2001 5 door 1.4 petrol Civic. So jumped on the Accord when I saw it. Oh well - lesson learnt eh?

Don't give up on it just yet.

Well I'm still waiting to hear back from Honda UK but in the meantime the DPF light is back on.

So twice within 7 days and at least the fourth time since Feb...

F6HAD said:
The US issue is something quite different. Their testing conditions are totally different to the outdated UK emissions test and they actually create a live testing environment on rollers to measure emissions under load (which is the correct way to measure). The VW software was designed to recognise those conditions and basically switch on every emission defeating weapon in its arsenal to beat the test.

Removing the DPF carefully in itself with a correct calibration of the ECU emissions control will still pass the current UK mot test. Where they fail is when people butcher them badly and leave evidence, or remove cats and don't calibrate ECU's properly.

Yes if they invested many millions and forced MOT stations up and down the country to update their systems they could come up with a new method of testing. Right now I believe it's highly unlikely in the near term at least.

YOU HOPE!! Take a look at transport for London and loony Boris's plans for diesel and petrol vehicles come 2020. Unless our cars self ignite by that date we are all in the s----

Edgeoftime - I rang the dealership as soon as they opened this morning.

There is nobody in today with the authority to sort it but the chap ***ured me it will be...

I won't accept anything less than a new DPF though as it's been regened at least 3 times since Feb. Maybe more I need to speak with two other Honda dealers which according to the documents supplied have 'seen' the car this year.

Your argument is with the man who sold you the car, keep AT HIM!! The rest will deny any knowledge of a defect, if they do then I will be amazed.

It was a dealer who sold it to me. Not a man!

My issue is with the Honda garage not the salesperson. Although for consistency I'll raise it through him.

DadWagon said:
It was a dealer who sold it to me. Not a man!

My issue is with the Honda garage not the salesperson. Although for consistency I'll raise it through him.

Whether it was Man/Woman or both, get your self back there, you will find it is a company who supplied the car neither of the aforementioned will have any idea of what goes on under the bonnet of a car if my experiences of the species holds truth.

edgeoftime said:
Whether it was Man/Woman or both, get your self back there
LOL
It might have been one of those Bad Robots

But seriously, if the car came from a Dealer, franchised or not, you should have the "sale of goods" act behind you to be able to tell them to either fix it properly (i.e. replace the DPF) or give you your money back. Even though a DPF can be classified as a "serviceable item", a Dealer cannot say that in these circumstances, replacement of the DPF is at your cost.

Latest update; I've been offered a DPF clean at my local Honda dealer.

Whilst I am unconvinced this will work I don't think I can reasonably refuse it. As they are 'trying' to fix the problem albeit jut delaying the inevitable.

However, I think I need something in writing to say if the clean doesn't work they will replace the DPF. Even if that is just outside the warranty period...

I'm in a catch 22 - I'm otherwise happy with the car and haven't really got time to be fighting consumer rights etc and even if I could return it I'm without transport then until I find a replacement.