What's new

new twin disc clutch from CG Motorsport

brodziu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDI
Hi, guys, from time to time I'm looking at the CGM tread on civicinfo to see if they invited something better then 8 paddle clutch and SMF combo, as their presure plate seems is only grooved, so actually we're getting upgraded clutch disc and SMF, but today I've noticed that they made twin disc clutch, they claiming that it's capable to hold even 300% more power, what's your thoughts guys as for 1200 pounds fitted its not that bad.... here's the more info
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8ce0ec3c85

The CGM pressure plate with manual adjustment was a long time coming! Good to see them drop the feeble Honda/LUK stock unit. But I'll believe it as good as it's claimed to be when a few people have covered a decent mileage with it. Not a lot of long-term reports from early-adopters yet.

yeah, you'e right, not many is using this now, let's wait for their feedback or stick with 8 paddle/smf

Very interesting....still on my original clutch and Dmf 100k on the clock....no slippage for now....hopefully some more feedback will be available when it finally gives up :)

Like the idea that this might make a remap an option which the clutch can manage!

remap is still the option with oem clutch, and tbh it still can last as long as with oem map, coz you can read many posts were drivers of CRV, Accord and Civic need to replace theirs clutch after 40k miles.

I've not tuned any with this latest setup yet..

oem clutch struggle to hold standard map :p but I'm on the oem clutch and dmf from about 40k/2years and my 204 bhp didn't damage it yet, ;)

It's the torque that overcomes the inadequate clamping pressure... what is your engine pushing out? And at what RPM?

Some (re)maps do limit torque output at low RPM to discourage drivers from generating BHP using high torque at low RPM. I think that's a good idea.

basicly torque is responsible for all damage to the drive shafts, clutch, gearbox, etc
I've got torque 412Nm which is a bit over 300 ft/lbs

here's how it look on my car
IMG_4776_zps3cb1f586.png

Nice smooth curves!

300lb.ft isn't an enormous increase over stock... although the 'official' Honda figure is 251lb.ft, I understand that a more typical figure for the stock map is 276lb.ft. Maybe you are lucky and your clutch was at some time replaced with the strongest '325' Honda version?

Having a CGM clutch fitted might seem like a good idea, but I'm not sure about the SMF conversion... DMFs were developed for very good reasons! I know there are sprung clutch plates supplied for use with the SMF (like on a traditional petrol engine), but the torque absorbing mechanism is lost and I don't know which component is being stressed as a result... Transmission? ...Crankshaft?

rs10cus said:
so with oem clutch, what map am I able to achieve if this is true mate?
Stage 1 remap on the oem clutch should be fine. Budget for a clutch, but as long as you don't continuously rag it then it will handle 285lbs of torque for a while on the standard clutch.

I think that will depend hugely upon exactly which clutch your car has fitted. I'd agree for the 325, but really not sure about the earlier versions. And many owners probably haven't got a clue about which clutch their car has.

Got a stage 2 remap off Fahad a couple of years ago ( ish ) at 45,000mls and a couple of days later got the slip. Took it to Leeds and got the full package i.e. dmf, pressure plate & paddle ( only did the 6 paddle then ) and release bearing. This did the job but was a bugger in traffic ( judder ) any way about 18 months on and 15000mls the clutch pedal was getting hard to push and the clutch itself was just nasty to use so I got a new pressure & centre plate fitted ( 325 LUK )which was brilliant and is taking the torque punishment very well so far, though I do not abuse it like I did with the paddle clutch. The old paddle centre plate & pressure plate were totally worn out but i suppose the 8 paddle is better wearing and hopefully nicer to use in traffic. Anyway really wish I had just got the uprated 325 LUK kit earlier but do realise that it will not take the same abuse as the paddle. Just my two penneth :)