What's new

Not very impressed!

Bland

Members
Reaction score
Car
07 Tourer EX CTDI
Bought an 07 diesel tourer EX last year thinking Hondas were bulletproof but not turning out to be the case so far unfortunately.

So far with 114k on teh clock the Manifold has had to be replaced following fumes coming into the cab (which thankfully turned out to be covered by extended warrenty)
Rear callipers have ceased meaning replacement of them, discs and pads and the brake lines

And now the Air Con compressor appears to have gone as its making a high pitched screeching noise so have had to drive to the Alps without AC in fear of it ceasing. Does this sound true? Seems to come and go as AC is turned on however it still works. I wasnt 100% certain that it wasnt something to do with loading on the alternator?

Plus it sounds like a bag of spanners, not sure if one of the bearings has gone on one of the pulleys or if its the timing chain tensioner) however Honda told me there isnt a service interval on that so suspect its not)

Coupled with the fact that insurance is ridiculous in comparison to a golf GT tdi im thinking i have made a mistake with the tourer! Not sure if im unlucky or if they are genuinely just not that good.

Noticed somewhere on here the other day that there is somewhere on the Honda site where you can enter a chassis number for recalls, could have been to do with a misty headlamp (which is another thing to happen) but i cant for the life of me find where this is on the Honda site, any clues?

One happy Accord owner!

Sounds like you've got a bad one I'm afraid.

All sound like problems that are quite common but unusual to have them all on the same car in that way. The high pitched noise could just be the belt really.. and if sounds like a bag of spanners, then yes it might be the timing chain but this isn't common on the facelift cars as they had a revised chain design.. best get it to Honda for a checkup.

Here go - http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandyourcar/recallsandupdates/

Honda's tend to have loads of problems, most of them quite common across the range with many owners experience the same problems. Depending on your generation of Honda they range from chocolate gearboxes, big end shells, headlights and loads of other annoying, sometimes expensive things.

Far from bulletproof, but still better than most cars, and all car makes have common problems. Sometimes you buy a car that has had most of the niggles sorted, then you have happy motoring. Sometimes the niggles never raise their head. Sometimes they all seem to happen in your ownership.

The Accord went pretty much downhill after the 5th Gen. Until then they were pretty reliable, just rusted a lot, especially the arches.

But each time i sit in my Accord, i'm still glad i'm not driving a Golf or another piece eurocrap with no personality.

Ouch, that sounds awful! Sounds to me like you just got a bad one, that probably wasn't cared for as well as it should have been earlier in it's day!

To a certain extent I feel your pain, my pre-facelift saloon has that same "bag of spanners" sound. I find its more obvious when the car is cold, when the engine has warmed up the problem seems to disappear. I would have thought the timing chain too, but it's had a new one fitted along with the injectors and manifold. Also as you mentioned the screech, I do find there is a little whine or high pitched sound from my AUX belt, that too is new so I cant see there being a problem there.

I'm a relatively new Honda owner so I'm just taking these things as normal because in my 10 months of ownership they havent got any worse! Plus with a comprehensive service history from Honda I'm pretty lost for ideas on other faults! :huh:

Can you tell me the systems of your air con as iv recently had a pulley replaced at HH on my car.I had a high pitched noise with the air con on and getting louder with more revs.
If its the same i will call HH TO CONFIRM WHAT PULLEY IT WAS.

not overly impressed with the accord myself, you just have to have a peep here and see all the things people have problems with.

I would buy a mazda 6mps over a accord if i had a second choice, in fact i might do that sooner rather than later.

not overly impressed with the accord myself, you just have to have a peep here and see all the things people have problems with.

I would buy a mazda 6mps over a accord if i had a second choice, in fact i might do that sooner rather than later.
Eric you are missing a very valid point hear.Most people join forums because they have problems with there car or other issue in life.They google there problem and find there answers in a forum.
I did this many years ago with my 7th gen with a slipping clutch hence why im am hear now.
Honda's do have there problems but so do all makes and modals of all cars.

from boards.ie

Mine has just packed up on a '08 accord diesel, quoted €1700+ to fix a gadget I don't even need. Honda told me they won't cover it cos my mileage is >100k, even though they admit the ****** mileage has nothing to do with the problem.

Now I've to pi$$ a fortune down the drain just to turn off a dashboard light for the NCT shower.

Fuming. FUMING
Rant over

Eric you are missing a very valid point hear.Most people join forums because they have problems with there car or other issue in life.They google there problem and find there answers in a forum.
I did this many years ago with my 7th gen with a slipping clutch hence why im am hear now.
Honda's do have there problems but so do all makes and modals of all cars.

Yeah, you don't really get people signing up to post that their car is running without issue, especially as a lot of Accords will be driven as family cars by people who aren't enthusiasts and unlikely to join a forum.

Saying that, from posts I've read it seems the 7th gen diesel does seem to be a little bit less reliable than the petrol - however it's also probably a lot more complicated engineering wise seeing as modern diesels are expected to run as smoothly as petrols. I can't say they're definitely less reliable though as it's only what I've gathered myself from behind my computer screen, so could be completely wrong :lol:

I'm sure there are plenty of problem threads on the Mazda 6 forum too!

ya brett but it does sorta contradict the honda imagine most of us have in our heads...!

i have owned a civic vti coupe back in them days and a civic esi saloon also, 98 and 95 years

not an ounce of trouble with any, can safely say that.

also had a 2001 mondeo zetec and apart from buring oil it did not have any problem apart from a rear spring required...

the oil burning not too surpriseing considering how i drove it and the milage :p

it would take me a long hard time to even consider getting another honda (accord) now again...

i look at alternatives and see 220bhp audis and the mazda mps and much more too out there.

ya brett but it does sorta contradict the honda imagine most of us have in our heads...!

i have owned a civic vti coupe back in them days and a civic esi saloon also, 98 and 95 years

not an ounce of trouble with any, can safely say that.

also had a 2001 mondeo zetec and apart from buring oil it did not have any problem apart from a rear spring required...

the oil burning not too surpriseing considering how i drove it and the milage :p

it would take me a long hard time to even consider getting another honda (accord) now again...

i look at alternatives and see 220bhp audis and the mazda mps and much more too out there.
Eric im not going to cause a petrol / diesel debate but this is why i brought a petrol as my 2nd Accord.They seem to be a bit more reliable IMO

Yep diesel definitely less reliable than the petrol, BUT not an unreliable car by any stretch. Mine ran for 3.5 years and some 75k miles in my ownership more or less trouble free (excluding the free warranty repairs).

Touch wood mine is behaving itself too - and I have been neglecting it for the last few months too :(.

Not going to dispute the facts, but forums do tend to attract criticism rather than praise.

just sell up and buy a petrol Accord :) after all it was Honda's first proper diesel engine/car they made, and they are still a lot better than some diesel cars out there... :)

genuinely speaking I have spent more money modding my Accord than I have getting it fixed, or even maintained for that matter lol

I bought my 2.4 petrol tourer in Jan 2006. I wanted a mid/full-sized estate, I looked at several cars, and it came down to the Subaru Legacy Outback vs Honda Accord Tourer. Reasons I went for the Honda Accord:

1. Accord was slightly cheaper and the Exec had all the toys
2. Accord service intervals were longer
3. Accord service costs were cheap
4. Accord mpg was better
5. Honda dealers have a good reputation
6. Honda builds cars in the UK (and I thought that included the Accord)
7. Jensen Button was driving for Honda at the time

Since then, only the first two items have remained true. I must admit that I have been relatively lucky, major things that I've "only" required are a new clutch at 79k miles and a new condenser (which I did myself saving about £400).

From my experience, and from what I have often read on this forum, the Honda dealer reputation is a myth. If I am not mistaken, the Honda reputation in the UK is based on J D Power surveys in the UK, but, the J D Power survey does not tell you what experience to expect from a Honda dealer once the 3-year warranty expires. Once that has happened, you are into very expensive motoring if you cannot diagnose and fix problems yourself.

I have no idea if I would buy a Honda again, but whatever car I bought, I would look at parts prices and dealer competence once a car is out of its warranty. Those factors make it difficult to automatically rate Honda as better than any other make.

EDIT: J D Power survey 2012
In the overall table, the Accord has dopped to 37th, down 35 places, and Honda is 4th, down 2 places.
In the family car section the Accord has droped to 6th from its 1st postion in the 2011 survey

The Accord is a solid car. Honda are top in the UK for reliability, although the Accord is their most unreliable car in their range. But you can be sure the Accord is still one of the most reliable cars on the road. What's your service history like? I mean every problem you have I've seen on this forum a fair amount. But to get them all at the same time and on the same car, suggests to me your car has not been treated well in its lifetime prior to you owning it.

I mean every known fault is like a ticking time bomb so to speak. You know it's going to happen, but you don't know when. But having the car serviced yearly by Honda (who know what to look out for with your specific model) should help you either keep on top of things or catch things early. And the same goes for you. If you're buying a second hand car, research it a little. All cars have problems, but knowing what to expect makes them less of a shock when they happen, and catching them early can save you money too.

For example, I got to work one morning and smelt cooking brakes. I checked and sure thing, it was me. But I knew all about it because of this place. So I got a tow to Honda and they drained the fluid, cleaned out the calliper and replaced the hoses as it's supposed to be crud from the old hoses deteriorating that causes the seizure. So in it cost me not much in parts and just a couple of hours labour. Sure this was an inconvenience, but because I'd researched it already, I caught the problem before it ate my pads and discs and everything else. No further damage to other parts was done and my brakes have been fine for the last 10K.

When getting my tow I was chatting the RAC man who insisted Accords were some of the best on the road and that a seized brake is pretty standard across all manufacturers in his experience of breakdown recovery.

So yes, there's the cracked manifold on the Diesel. A bit of a major issue, but free to fix because Honda admit it's their fault. The brakes, pretty standard in my opinion, although it's still pain in the ***. The misting headlamps, again Honda will sort that for you (at least they did on mine). The timing belt and possibly one of the wheels and/or bearings in the timing belt mechanism on a car that's done over 100K, I don't think is unreasonable.

Really the only thing that's worrying is the Air Con as it's expensive and you'll likely have to pay lots of money or buy one from a breakers and fit it yourself. This sucks I know, but again, I can't see aircon compressors failing to be an uncommon fault. I bet it happens to loads of different cars.

So, I guess you've just been unlucky really and bought a car that's perhaps been put through its paces and niggling issues weren't dealt with. You bought it and they niggling issues became serious ones. This sucks, and good luck with sorting it all. Hopefully the DIYs on this site can be of some help to you.

By the way, the reason I can be so philosophical about all this... I drive a Petrol :lol: ;)

Me too Steve, Petrol heads lol, I agree with the other members, all cars are a gamble when you buy them second or third hand. I have been lucky to have owned two honda accords ( petrol ones) and have had little if anything really go wrong on them, hence I fall in to the camp of hondas are a great reliable car to own. I have also like steve read lots of members problems with Diesels and it often has the same story, bought a flogged horse with limited service history, and many thousands of miles on the clock, but it was cheap........and they end up here asking for help as the car is giving them issues and starting to cost them lots to maintain.

Join a Ford forum to see how expensive a diesel is to maintain there, based on the mileage they can work out how expensive it will be for you in the near future, my Dad Ford has cost him 1000s in repairs, but he loves the economy of the car.

It all about how you see your car too.

My mate has Civic, the only thing that has gone wrong with it was a bad oil leak. This was after an MOT and down to the garage loosening the oil filter so it was hanging off in the hope he would it take it back and pay them a fortune to sort it, ******s.

He picked me up the other day. It rattles like ******y, you have to slam the door to get it shut, the window doesn't open properly, the clutch judders and it sounds like a tractor. There is an inch of green algae on the door trims. But to him, a car is a car and it doesn't cost him a thing to run other than petrol.

Me on the other hand, the slightest rattle and i have the car apart trying to find it, if i can't find it, i pay someone to. I touch out stone chips, i polish the living fook out of it, i paint callipers, i change brakes, even clean the engine bay. Every little niggle gets to me and gets sorted, i'm not happy unless my car is perfect.

If i'm driving and smell something (coming in car from outside), i immediately think something is wrong and panic, although it never is. I've been like this ever since i've owned a car, regardless of make.

His Civic is abused and not looked after, but he sees it as reliable and doesn't cost him a penny.

My Accord is loved too much, has loads of little problems that get sorted and costs me a fortune.

However, if we had swapped cars, his Civic to me would be unreliable, rattly, a mess and would cost me a fortune to live with day to day.

My Accord however, would never be cleaned, never be serviced, never have anything fixed and, apart from the alarming rate it drinks petrol, he will think it is a cheap car to run.

The post at the start of this thread made me look up the J D Power Survey .....

In 2011 (which would be for cars new in 2008) the 2011 League table for all cars rated Honda Accord as 2nd.

In 2012 (which would be for cars new in 2009) the 2012 League table for all car rated Honda Accord as 37th (you will need to scroll down in the table in the link).

And, Honda brand dropped from 2nd to 4th.

My Accord was 15 months old when I bought it in 2006, if I buy another car under 3 years old now, Skoda will be very high on my list (Skoda was on my list in 2006 but not high up).

No matter what Skoda you buy though, people with think of you as a bit of a pauper/taxi driver.

Mind you, Honda's are going that way a bit too, but they still do have a bit of status without the need of becoming a German fanboy.

I dunno about that, the Octavia is very nice, and the police use it too !! (I always give a current Octavia a good look when overtaking it on the motorway) LOL

I've had my Accord derv for 12 months now.
Besides a service, I've had news discs and brakes done.
Steering rack reconditioned because it was clunking on one side.
Clutch doesn't sound too hot, still drives fine though. Much quieter with 0W-30 and V-power

I used to drive a MG ZS. Had it for seven years! In the last year the gasket went twice! And I looked after it and it was serviced every year! Shame, it was a good motor for most of the ownership. I really looked after it.

Despite the issues with the Accord, it does drive nice for diesel.

i have a abs/vsa unit here come to me and i can supply and fit for £350.

I think Stevens problem is the same problem I had when I owned an 04 CTDI Accord, a mental issue. What I mean by that is I never expected a Honda to have so many expensive potential problems. It drove me mental thinking about what was going to go wrong next. Should have joined this club before I bought it. Would then have known about these Accord issues and bought something else and I love Hondas! It was a lovely car and I owned it for 2.5 years before selling a couple of months ago with 106k miles on the clock. All I really had go wrong though was the clutch and DMF, but they did go early in my opinion at 72k. That bill was over £1000 mind! Clutches should last longer than that. Had a CTR before and that clutch lasted 122k. A VTI Civic some years ago and at 172k when I sold it, still on the original clutch. Only had one gearbox bearing go on that VTI in all that time. They were the real reliable Honda cars. With the manifold, VSA, timing chain potential problems, I was always expecting a big bill on the Accord. Must admit though, I saved an emergency fund for just that eventuality. Got fed up wondering whether each week of ownership would be an expensive one. Have now bought an early 09 Mazda 2.0 petrol sport hatchback. Put the emergency fund towards buying it, as I don't honestly think I will need it any time soon on the Mazda I am really a petrol head at heart anyway and I love it. They do not appear to have so many expensive issues and my expectation is that it will go on forever. Might be wrong, but I am so much more relaxed racking up the miles in this car. Thought about buying an Accord petrol, but decided on a complete change. If you are still a Honda fan after your Accord diesel problems, buy a petrol model and relax. Sorry diesel guys, great cars but they come with too many potential big bills. I do miss the 50+ mpg though.

problem is that what do you buy? all comparable models (mondeo's/X types, Vectras/C5 etc) all have their own list of troubles if you research them. Its the way of modern cars.... we can eek out another 3 mpg if we add this hugely complex bit, it wont break whilst in warranty so what do we care? in th e old days cars were thrown away when they rusted to death, now its when some expensive electrical or complex mechanical feature that kills what are perfectly servicable cars otherwise.

i see a lucrative business model in buying up cars that can't pass MOTs due to expensive to us to fix ABS lights/traction control lights etc and shipping them to sub saharan africa where they wouldn't give a stuff about a ligh on the dash to drive round in a otherwise mint car.

IMHO my next car is likely to be much older than my Accord, late 90s seems to be a nice sweet spot of reliability without hugely complex bits to go wrong....