What's new

Oil.... for the thousandth time

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi all,

So me being me I steamed right in and bought some castrol edge FST 5w40 for my accord exec 2.4 petrol. Is this going to be ok?

Hi all,

So me being me I steamed right in and bought some castrol edge FST 5w40 for my accord exec 2.4 petrol. Is this going to be ok?

Yeah, it'll be fine, 10w40 is the standrd stuff, but 5w40 is permitable given the weather of the British Isles.

Yeah, it'll be fine, 10w40 is the standrd stuff, but 5w40 is permitable given the weather of the British Isles.

Im a bit concerned about the "ACEA C3" rating though, should it not be "ACEA A3/B3" doesn't that matter? Also, the edge 5w30 is listed as honda approved on the castrol website where the 5w40 isn't?

I tried reading about the ACEA grading but left more confused than when I started...

My understanding is C3 supersedes A3/B3

My understanding is C3 supersedes A3/B3

Thanks for the replies jayok.

Checked the spec on the 0w30, which is the castrol recommended for my car and it falls into the C2/3 category so Im ***uming that part at least is not an issue. Still unsure why everyone is on about 5w40 in these forums though when there are so many recommendations that differ to that. eg

Opieoils oilfinder - 5w30 castrol (and others)
mobile1 oilfinder - 0w20 - 0w30
castrol oilfinder - 0w30
typeaccord forums - 5w40

Taking an average of these values Im now ***uming the car will run on anything from white spirit to chip fat?

Also, in the manual for the car it states specifically the ACEA spec required for the diesel, but says nothing about this for the petrol model. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Does that mean that these specs are unimportant for the accord petrol? I wouldn't have thought so.

Well the petrol Accord is way less sensative to oil than its sister diesel. Basically Honda specify a range of viscosity depending on the average temperature of the climate that the car is in.

Regardless of the viscosity the oil must meet a minimum standard for manfacture and this is the APJ/ACEA standard of which it meets A1/B1. Exceeding this standard is ok too.

It's in your manual if in doubt - I'd post it for you but I can't on the iPhone

Oh and I don't recommend either chip fat or white spirit :)

Found my original post on the matter:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8498-10w40-engine-oil/page__view__findpost__p__95091

Ok some more reading, C3 is catalyst friendly and appears to be only for diesel engines. A1/B1 are for petrols:

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/070308_ACEA_sequences_2007_LD_and_HD.pdf

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life. Warning: these oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

So basically the C3 is suitable where you've a DPF or a three way catalyst as it outputs less pollutants that the A1/B1 for the DPF or cat.

These guys have taken the effort to convert this into simpler explainations:

http://www.midlandvehiclecomponents.co.uk/Pages/PDFs/Technical%20Bulletins/Comma/acea_specifications_explained_booklet_v9.pdf

Finally, as an answer(!)

The oil meets the following ACEA approvals â—¦ACEA A3/B3, ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C3

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60457-castrol-edge-5w-40-fst-advanced-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

So you're good to use it. Phew

Thanks for taking some time and effort on this jayok,

Im just going to bung it in and see what like. Its kind of stupid that on the spec sheet for that oil it lists a3/b3 compliance as well as c3, but on the bottle it only states c3. That's what caused the confusion. Heaven forbid I should have checked the ****** website I bought it from... plank that I am.

Well, its going in anyway. There will be a window of around a week while Im waiting for discs + pads before I throw it in for a service if anyone else wants to chip in and explain why I should or shouldn't use this oil, I had enough of researching this oil... :p

On the plus side, I learned some stuff about oil specs. Yay.

5W40 is the optimum oil for the K24 in my opinion.

Anything from 0w20 to 10w40 is fine in the K24.
I use 5W 30 as a good medium between the grades.
Whatever grade you use just stick to it IMO.
Also I use silkoline pro from opie oils a great performance oil for high rev cars like ours.

If in doubt just buy oem oil, sure who knows best as to what to use in their engines but Honda :lol: :lol:

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive.asp

I used that in my K20 and it feels nice after this oil change... very responsive along with VPower Nitro and even a nice and quiet engine on idle!

Found my original post on the matter:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8498-10w40-engine-oil/page__view__findpost__p__95091

Ok some more reading, C3 is catalyst friendly and appears to be only for diesel engines. A1/B1 are for petrols:

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/070308_ACEA_sequences_2007_LD_and_HD.pdf

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life. Warning: these oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

So basically the C3 is suitable where you've a DPF or a three way catalyst as it outputs less pollutants that the A1/B1 for the DPF or cat.

These guys have taken the effort to convert this into simpler explainations:

http://www.midlandvehiclecomponents.co.uk/Pages/PDFs/Technical%20Bulletins/Comma/acea_specifications_explained_booklet_v9.pdf

Great info, im new here, myself im unsure if i should fill up my 'petrol' accord with 105,000 miles using a 0w30 or 10w40 oil for an oil change. The reason i ask is because previous owner service history shows 10w40 castrol magnatec being used for years! So a bit confused why honda has done that? Also because it's a reasonably old car with alot of miles, the engine parts may suffer if i move to a thinner oil knowing that it has got used to a thicker oil for a long time? Hope you can advise me before my oil change. Thanks.

In my opinion (others will disagree) using the lower viscosity oil in an old engine with a few miles under the belt may well lead to increased engine noise and oil burning. Maybe a 5w-40 would be better, especially as we're moving into cold weather (the 5w cold rating may offer some slight benefit during cold starts?.

it will be fine 5w40, the engine should go the same...
i'm in the same situation, the owner before and honda dealer put 10w40 but next week i will put 5w40 without any concern...and the next one it will be 0w30

So there's a third option to consider....

...and for even more info check out opieoils.co.uk and look at the Oilman Technical Information section at the bottom of the page, then click on the pdfs giving info about oil base stocks and the difference between mineral and synthetic oils including the different types of synthetics!

petrol's dont care (too much) about oil, compared to diesels which would probably spontaneously combust.

any of the oils mentioned above are good, i use castrol 5/30 and its clear now as when i changed it in august

petrol's dont care (too much) about oil, compared to diesels which would probably spontaneously combust.

any of the oils mentioned above are good, i use castrol 5/30 and its clear now as when i changed it in august
More advanced engines have more demanding requirements. In particular, turbo bearings are a bit fussy about lubrication and flow rates.

Thanks guys, i too was thinking about the 5w40 just to be safe but after going through some of the forums here seems to be 0w30 will do the job. I hope.

Just another thing. What is the big difference between Magnatec and Edge from castrol? I know edge is fully-synthetic but also noticed some magnatec weights are fully-synthetic too.
Considering what castrol say about magnatec being able to provide "instant protection the moment you turn the key", apparently protects against wear by "molecules". So considering it does this brilliant stuff to help the engine would it not make sense to go for this instead than the more expensive edge?

I am just a bit curious because to me both seem similar apart from name and price, if anyone has done research or used both types and know how the engine felt after oil change please let me know, thanks guys.
The more replies the more knowledge!

Some would say that Magnatec isn't truly a fully synthetic oil, it's an engineered mineral oil. But Edge is 'man-made', so is a good deal more expensive.

I've put Magnatec 5w-30 in my Toyota for the last 10 years and I'd happily recommend it for that particular Toyota VVTi engine, but I do not know if it meets the specs (not just viscosity ratings) for your 2.4 Accord. Opinions are often very divided regarding Magnatec, some claim the "molecules" can cause problems but I wouldn't use it if I thought that was true. You need to check your manual to see if the Magnatec specs meet the requirements for your car.

I dont actually have a manual for the car but had a look at a friends; the honda manual shows a bar chart of different oil weights according to certain temperatures for the petrol model, it does not state anywhere in manual any specs?

What jayok listed is really quite helpful in regards to the specifics but im really unsure about A3/B3 thing, is A or B grade better than C for 'petrol'. Sorry if im repeating something thats already may have been answered.

5w30 or 5w40 fully synth is fine for a 2.4 accord

thats all you need to know.

for british climes these grades are fine, if you are in the outpost of siberia or in bangkok i am sure the oils would be different? but for over here the above are pretty standard grades.

I dont actually have a manual for the car but had a look at a friends; the honda manual shows a bar chart of different oil weights according to certain temperatures for the petrol model, it does not state anywhere in manual any specs?What jayok listed is really quite helpful in regards to the specifics but im really unsure about A3/B3 thing, is A or B grade better than C for 'petrol'. Sorry if im repeating something thats already may have been answered.

The official Honda recommendation for the 7th gen petrol is 0W 20 believe it or not, as Honda are pushing an environmental agenda. It's a semi-synthetic though and IMHO the 2.4 deserves better.

Go onto the Castrol Edge website and put your reg. no. in - it will tell you what Castrol recommend for the 2.4 ;)