What's new

oil, how much is too much.?

toffee_pie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Legacy 3.0R SpecB
I am a bit OCD with cheacking oil, :p, i got an oil change in December, the guy in the garage put in castrol 5/30 it was 4 litres, i knew it was not full up but i was fine with it and now last week i decided to top it up, my back yard here is not very even, so basically i have over filled.

its about 200mills above the top mark, not much. I say 200mm as from H to L is about a 1 litre, so half way is 500mm, and my reading is slightly above the top, so it seems maybe 150-200mm above.

Should i worry or let it ride? or drain it? I just took it for a drive earlier, no problems, was about 15minutes, i checked the readings again and the same level.

The car has been good to me, so just seeing what others thoughts are ? :p

hmmm, people on the web have contradicting statements down to and including this one

"running an extra quart wont hurt anything. many auto-x guys do it so that under hard cornering the oil doesnt completely leave the sump, and they dont drain it after. 1 qt extra wont hurt anything. in fact, i wouldnt even drain it. thats a waste"

an extra litre of oil......erm :blink:

It'll be fine Eric. In fact, why not stick in another 4L just for fun :p?

Seriously, that isn't a lot more. The engine oil moves around a lot when you're driving around so the 'max' line on the dipstick (and the 'min', for that matter) have to be very conservative and failsafe indications.

Don't do it again.

It depends on the temperature when you check the oil, it should just be below operating temperature as the oil expands when heated. but 200ml is nothing.

Personally I only ever fill the engine 3/4 full with oil so i'm never in this situation. With Thermal expansion i get to close to full when warm

------>..<-------------

its about this much over, interesting about the thermal thing, i often wondered why the readings fluctuated.

I've fractionally overfilled mine before. Probably by about what you're describing. No problems. As mentioned the recommendation marks on the dip stick are very conservative. And the way my K24 eats through synthetic oil, I'm sure it was back in the normal range within a few days :lol: . Or at least it will have been with my heavy right foot :blush: .

Dave G said:
If it was my car I wouldn't worry about it
And as it's Eric's car - I definitely wouldn't worry about it :p

Eric if this was a diesel I would say drain the excess amount out.But being a petrol they are less prone to over fill problems.
But don't do it again as it's bad practice.