What's new

Oil leak

Neilos84

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 2.2 diesel auto
2010 diesel auto, seem to have quite a bad oil leak, any common problems to be looking for? Not been under car to check this. It got full service history and has 65k on clock. Only bought it 3 weeks ago and have got rac platinum warrenty with it. Also i believe its using/losing coolant

either take it back to the seller and ask them to get it sorted, or take it to a reputable garage and have them diagnose the problems. Then take it back to the seller and tell them to fix the problems that have been found.

I’ve got the same car with 201k on the clock. Doesn’t use a drop of oil or coolant.

Without you getting under the car, cleaning it up and then keeping an eye on where it’s coming from, it’s just guesswork. If both fluids are leaking from the same area then it might be around the turbo. If it’s been off the car and the gaskets not renewed then this could be causing it.

Yea but must cover something, as car is registered with them

Like vehicle excise it may no longer be transferable between owners, but you may have to check with the RAC.

Have you got the document that covers the registration of the vehicle along with the date it was issued ?

Without you getting under the car, cleaning it up and then keeping an eye on where it’s coming from, it’s just guesswork. If both fluids are leaking from the same area then it might be around the turbo. If it’s been off the car and the gaskets not renewed then this could be causing it.
Turns out its the driveshaft seals, had a quote to repair it, 380 including VAT. Does this sound about right? The garage i bought car off are refusing to pay this, saying they can get it done at their local gagrage for £120, not having that, quarter of the price. Not taking it 2 hours back down the road for some dodgey backstreet bob, to stick some gasket sealant on it and say its fixed. How long will this take to change seals on both driveshaft?

So it’s gearbox oil not engine oil? £120 is about right really, it’s an hours work for a competent garage. £380 is a rip off.

Gearbox shouldn’t need draining fully as the oil sits lower, just get a price for the seals they’re not a ridiculous amount and it’s 60-90 mins labour I would say. Just shop around.

Gearbox shouldn’t need draining fully as the oil sits lower, just get a price for the seals they’re not a ridiculous amount and it’s 60-90 mins labour I would say. Just shop around.
Could you give me a quote for parts and labour at your garage for this work to be carried out please. Every garage im trying are wanting in excess of £300, before vat or are reluctant to do it.

I don’t get involved with mechanical work but drop me a PM and I’ll put you in touch with my mechanic. You’ll need to supply your own parts and any fluid.

Just spoke to him for you, £90 labour for both sides. He said he doesn’t need to drain all the fluid but it’s worth doing it all at the same time anyway so suggest you buy 3 litres of MTF3 and a pair of seals.

Just spoke to him for you, £90 labour for both sides. He said he doesn’t need to drain all the fluid but it’s worth doing it all at the same time anyway so suggest you buy 3 litres of MTF3 and a pair of seals.
Thanks, i appreciate that, the gearbox oil has actually already been changed 15k ago according to the service history, so would i still need to supply oil? Also is that £90 all in or does vat get added to that