What's new

oil warning light horrible noise

Hot Fuzz

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Audi A6 at the mo!!
Wife called me this morning told a light as come on on the dashboard and the car's making a funny noise I asked which one it looks like a jug with a drop coming out !
So I tell her stop immediately turn engine off
I then explain how to check the oil and how to top it up (after having to walk to a nearby garage)
She does this light still on engine still making noise so I tell her to turn engine off and call breakdown which she does

Now I'm worried any ideas ?

Paul did your wife out the right amount of oil in.
This don't sound good and looks like you have lost oil pressure.
This might be anything from the chain or oil pump at fault.
But you need it looked at to be sure.

Brett, same response as i have posted HERE

can we cut out all the duplicate posts from the OP too.

hmmm, what year is your car ?
if pre facelift, how many miles have you done ?

if it is a pre facelift, i really hope the chain has not snapped, which means you would loose all oil pressure and that horrible light would come on....
also would not be a nice sounding engine with no lubrication to the bores .

I honestly hope this isnt the case as it would quite possible write your engine off .

PS: we know your worried but 1 thread will do
This post has been edited by TheHole: Today, 01:33 PM

Adam I will close the other thread as this one is better spelt

Uh Oh :( Sounds like a snapped oil pump/chain.. hope it isn't!!

Yup, sounds like the same problem i had. When the sump was removed the chain was in several bits, new oil pump, oil pump chain, tensioner, a few other bits and nearly a grand later she was well again. not good if i is this, i hope it isn't. fingers crossed for you bud.

ask your wife if she was hearing a noise that was almost like the car chirping. If it was, then its almost definitely a snapped chain :(

I'm aware of the multi posts and appologised to Brett for them. I posted from my mobile and kept being told I'd timed out so retried it wasn't deliberate.

Unfortunately my wife is not technical I've not noticed any oil leaks or loss of oil in general. When she called me to tell me there was a problem, I described to my wife how to check the oil and how to top it but as I wasn't there it was difficult to actually see where the oil level was before and after she's topped up.

The engine has been running fine although there was a slight noise but nothing definate or distinctive. I've been meaning to get it into the local dealer for a week or so but just haven't got around to it. (famous lasts words)

She described the noise as a rumbleing noise ?? when I called Howards to let them know it was being brought in I described the symptoms and mentioned the timing chain the service advisor said if the timing chain had slipped it would just stop running altogether, and that it was unlikely it had actually snapped which would have had the same result as if it had slipped.

Waiting to hear back from the dealer which is likely to be monday is like waiting for a tooth extraction knowing there's no anesthetic :( :(

Keep us up to date Paul and fingers crossed for you mate.What is the mileage on your car now Paul because it might still be under warranty the chain that is.

Keep us up to date Paul and fingers crossed for you mate.What is the mileage on your car now Paul because it might still be under warranty the chain that is.
Its done 109K but over 7 years old Honda UK replaced the manifold I had to pay labour tho. I'll keep you posted

Fingers crossed for you Paul.

Did the Mrs describe how it all happened. I.e during acceleration, was there a bang etc.

As you say it will probably be Monday at the earliest before they have had a proper look, just hope that you haven't got a weekend off work this week, as it's probably best to be in work to help keep your mind off it.

Try not to let it spoil your weekend Paul, whatever will be will be mate.

Not heard from the garage yet but I didn't expect to I'm off now for a couple of days in court tuesday drink driver hopefully the result will cheer me up :D

One thing I forgot to mention wifey tells me the man who came to recover the car tried to start it several times to the point where the battery went flat !! :eek: :eek: :angry: :angry:

then turned around and said "could be anything" !!! despite being told all signs and symptons. Even she knew that wasn't right

Goes without saying I'll be having serious words with greenflag on monday it's a good job I wasn't there he'd have needed recovery in intensive care

Not heard from the garage yet but I didn't expect to I'm off now for a couple of days in court tuesday drink driver hopefully the result will cheer me up :D

One thing I forgot to mention wifey tells me the man who came to recover the car tried to start it several times to the point where the battery went flat !! :eek: :eek: :angry: :angry:

then turned around and said "could be anything" !!! despite being told all signs and symptons. Even she knew that wasn't right

Goes without saying I'll be having serious words with greenflag on monday it's a good job I wasn't there he'd have needed recovery in intensive care

If your wife or yourself told greenflag that the oil warning light had come on, then they shouldn't be trying to start it and especially until the battery goes flat.
You definitely need to lodge a complaint and get it on record. Whilst you know the light had already come on, you did as advised by the handbook and switch the engine off, which was still running, in order to avoid serious damage.

Anyone with a bit of mechanically knowledge knows a red light involving oil is not a minor issue, yes it can come on due to low oil levels, so you wait and then check the levels, you don't start the car!

Just try and go easy on the poor call centre person, try and remember they are probably paid near minimum wage for a thankless job and were not the one who kept turning over the engine!

Good luck

Oh and good luck in the court case hope the result is a good one.

Disappointed the guy tried to start it several times, when its obvious a oil warning light indicates loss of oil pressure and NOT low oil potentially meaning something serious has gone wrong. Hopefully not but sounds like one of the chains possible oil has snapped.

If the cam chain snaps then doesn't that mean no cam rotation therefore no engine? Do diesels not have a piston / valve overlap?

if greenflag have tried to start the car multiple times, they have probably destroyed your engine.
Get your wife to write in a 'log' exactly what happened when the recovery service turned up. anything said and done by either your wife or the recovery van.... nothing should be left out.

you may need it for court / a claim against them.

Yes your engine may have been damaged, by the initia issue but there is no excuse in the poor service that they have provided and probably now written off your engine :(

Sick as a pig with swine flu is the only way I can express how I feel the news is very bad. The engine has siezed and in all likelyness the oil pump chain has snapped for some reason. This would have caused catastrophic damage to the engine resulting in the only way to repair it will be to replace the entire engine or the lower end at a cost of 1K ++ I've just had a lengthy chat with Steve from HH who advises that to strip the engine to find out what exactly has been damaged and then to replace the parts it uneconomical. Next option is to replace the engine completely this would mean 10 hours labour approx £900 + VAT then the cost of the engine which would be around £1500 for anything half decent with a good warranty.

Guys I know you'll understand how bad this news is unless you love yout car and cars in general it's not something people can generally appreciate.

I logged my complaint with greenflag this morning although it's probably in vane as I could never prove that what the recovery man did made a slavagable engine go beyond repair.
:( :( :(

Ouch mate :(
Not good news at all but tbh i was expecting this from your previous posts.

it might be worth breaking your car and selling the bits where possible and getting yourself another car. when your looking at a 2.5k+ build its starting to get silly.

I think this is the first instance of a TA member having this issue :(

Sorry to hear this Paul I'm speechless mate.
All I will say don't rush into anything just think about your next plan.

Paul, very sorry to hear this news and although it wasn't a surprise going by your initial post, it doesn't make it any easier to swallow I know.

It's normally down to incorrect oil being used and/or too much or too little oil..

I would shop around mate, you can pick up engines for a lot less money these days. Spend half a day and ring up the breakers yourself, most of the best Jap breakers are here in the North and find a decent independant to drop it in for around £350 labour I'd say. It can be done, trust me, you'll just have to go through some headache I guess. Aim to have the whole thing done within £1500.

Just spoke to Andy from Vtech direct who happens to be married to my wifes cousin. He was very helpful and is happy to have a look on the ramps he can also source an engine so there may be a cheaper alternative

Yep, the perfect nightmare for anyone who cares for their car.
sad.gif

Hope it all sorts out.

:( That's a real shame man. Hope you get something sorted out soon.

Just spoke to Andy from Vtech direct who happens to be married to my wifes cousin. He was very helpful and is happy to have a look on the ramps he can also source an engine so there may be a cheaper alternative

Sorry to hear the news

Fingers crossed this maybe a small silver lining to a very dark day though.

What insurance have you got, is there an avenue via the insurance or is that a no no?

Sorry to hear the news

Fingers crossed this maybe a small silver lining to a very dark day though.

What insurance have you got, is there an avenue via the insurance or is that a no no?

I'm pretty sure it's a no no and I don't have an extended warranty either

Yoiks.... Just read this thread. Sorry to hear this bud. Hope things get sorted out for you!

AA did this to me with my CB100. Seized the big end. :(.

Dam sorry to hear about this bud,agree with faddy, before you make any quick decisions look around and shop around, the best Japan breakers are in the north and if Andy from vtec can lend a hand that would be a help to the cause..again sorry to hear the bad news buddy :(

Gutted for you mate. i got lucky when my oil pump chain snapped in that the engine was still ok.

Hope you can get her back on the road without too much expense