What's new

P0088 code

J4L

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all,

A newbie to the forums - having been reading and following threads on this site, taught its time for me to register and seek some help from those that have already experienced the same issue as me.

I have a 07 plate Facelift Honda Accord 2.2 i-ctdi - just quite recently i have been experiencing issues around performance. So basically when i put my foot down it usuallys jerks or 'limps' and now it has come to a point where it'll cut out all sudden while driving!

The engine light had came on last night, so i got my good old odb2 reader - it is showing dtc
P0088 code - high fuel rail pressure?

So im not sure where to start from - i have read few threads on this site where most of you guys have suggested to start with fuel filter. Now, i know this has been changed, not with genuine Honda filter, but with Eurocar parts filter..

Any help/suggestions?

Yes you've answered your own question.

Welcome by the way ;)

Welcome to the forum
Change the FF for a genuin Honda one job done

Much as I agree with all the comments about never fitting a non-oem fuel filter, this should never cause a case of high fuel pressure, as the rail sensor will detect this situation and the ECU will adjust the 'throttle' valve (M-prop valve/regulator) on the fuel pump that controls the flow of fuel into the pump and hence the delivered pressure. But maybe this was an old stored code that hopefully you've now deleted?

If you have deleted the P0088 and it does come back, then have a read of my thread on the subject and my conclusions towards the end regarding the DTCs that can be raised when this fuel throttle regulator solenoid fails (or becomes sticky)... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12692-fuel-pump-solenoid-removal/ Note that your facelift model will probably have different part numbers.

It's a pretty simple DIY and - if you shop around - should cost less than £100 to fix.

If ECP supplied you with a Denso filter, then it probably was the right one... have you got the part number for it?

Welcome along mate, as the others say, gotta be a Honda FF.

Jon_G said:
Much as I agree with all the comments about never fitting a non-oem fuel filter, this should never cause a case of high fuel pressure, as the rail sensor will detect this situation and the ECU will adjust the 'throttle' valve (M-prop valve/regulator) on the fuel pump that controls the flow of fuel into the pump and hence the delivered pressure. But maybe this was an old stored code that hopefully you've now deleted?

If you have deleted the P0088 and it does come back, then have a read of my thread on the subject and my conclusions towards the end regarding the DTCs that can be raised when this fuel throttle regulator solenoid fails (or becomes sticky)... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12692-fuel-pump-solenoid-removal/ Note that your facelift model will probably have different part numbers.

It's a pretty simple DIY and - if you shop around - should cost less than £100 to fix.

If ECP supplied you with a Denso filter, then it probably was the right one... have you got the part number for it?
Part number i fitted - Part No.: 503600198

Not sure who's part number that is, but it isn't a Denso Part Number... the correct Denso number is 186100-6090 (which Honda identify as16901-RJL-E01).

So did you simply find the P0088 DTC, or have you deleted it and it's come back? That would be an important piece of information.

Agree with Jon although I've seen both high and low pressure errors relating to non standard or bad fuel filters.. Always do the easy stuff first.

Jon_G said:
Not sure who's part number that is, but it isn't a Denso Part Number... the correct Denso number is 186100-6090 (which Honda identify as16901-RJL-E01).

So did you simply find the P0088 DTC, or have you deleted it and it's come back? That would be an important piece of information.
it was a crossland fuel filter - which i will be changing to a Honda fuel filter - part num: 16901-RJL-E01

As soon as the engine light came on, which was the first time it ever has come on - i plugged in my odb2 reader to find the P0088 DTC code. I have also cleared this off and has not come on since. But it still limps on the odd occasions with the foot down on the gas pedal and when revving in stationary position, it cuts off rather than idling.

If that P0088 DTC doesn't return then it was probably historic and so may not relate to the current problem. So I would agree that changing the fuel filter is a priority (especially as it's a Crosland!). I'm surprised that you're not getting P0087 and/or P1065 DTCs, but otherwise the running symptoms do fit with fuel filter problems. Let us know how you get on after replacing the filter with the correct Honda (Denso) part.

Just a quick update - i have now changed the fuel filter to a Honda one and it has resolved the issue which i was having; no more cutting off, no more jerks and lack of performance!

Glad to hear another problem solved with a genuine fuel filter