What's new

Penny for your thoughts guys

govtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
FD2
Ok driving into work today on the A1 at the beginning of my journey (150miles), at about O my god its early 0515, listening to some tunes when i pick up a barely audible (over normal road noise) low pitched, kind of rumble noise from the front and then notice a slight increase in vibration at the steering wheel - both occured together and quite suddenly. It's definately not engine related as I slipped it into neutral and there was no change in vibrations, quick inspection in the next layby and i cannot see anything wrong.

I continue my journey and as the vibration and noise is so subtle I can almost convince my self nothing is wrong and im just being paranoid. The low rumble still barely audible seemed to come and go and the vibration though persistent got no worse and varied with road surface. However as most of the roads i go to work on are dual carriageway A roads i do not notice any other problems.

Once i get closer to work and the roads change to twisty b roads i feel rather than hear a slight occasional seemingly random knock from the left front, though it still responds well to steering imputs and the shocks are working fine, something feels loose and slightly unsettled up front.

When i get get out of the car i employ the mk1 diagnostic boot to both front tyres, the drivers side produces a nice satisfying solid dull thunk however the passenger side produces an extra metalic clunk along side the noise of the tyre.

I suspect my bearing might be shot or on its way out, the cars covered just shy of 75000 what do you guys reckon any other possibilities i should have a check for.

cheers

Based on the first 2 lines, i was gunna say, a Subwoofer! :lol:

However after reading the lot, id say if its a bassy hum, its likely a wheel bearing.

Lol @ subwoofer missus would kill me. :ph34r:

thats one for wheel bearing then,

Either bearing or loose caliper dude.

your new discs ate torqued properly?

^^ dan the discs have been on for about a year now will give it a wiggle though along with the caliper,

sorry bud... mixed you up with mutsaip.

i would also guess at wheel bearing

does the note alter when you load that side i.e when you steer left and right and put the weight of the car on it?

Not trying to resurect a dead thread here, just thought id provide an update and share the benefit of my experience. after having the guys at honda have a good butchers at all the suspension components bearings bushes linkages etc for a problem they came away scratching their heads wondering where this vibrations was coming from we even took it for a spin and enginneer aggreed there was definately a very slight vibration and noise from the passenger side. took it back to the garage wheel off check components again still cannot find anything. however when refitting the wheel the tech spotted the tell tail signs of an absent wheel weight DOH!! so one rebalance later and alls good again - moral of the story check the simple things first and dont immediately ***ume something catastrophic has happened to a really expensive component.

happy motoring.

:blush: i should know better really of course its a petrol and therefor perfect :ph34r:

We may well have found the first ever recurring petrol model fault! I too yesterday afternoon noticed a vibration while stretching 2nd gear. It was perfectly fine when I did the same in the morning on the way to work, but it was very noticeable in the afternoon.

Anyhoo my brain went into overload always ***uming the worst. I remembered a small pothole I hit on the way to work so suddenly ***umed my wheel could be buckled. Then reasoned that such a small potholes couldn't really do much damage at 25mph. Then I started thinking about my driveshafts starting to give way after the abuse I gave my car on knockhill, basically ***uming the worst case scenario.

Then I remembered this thread and once parked up I checked all my tyre pressures first and gave the front wheels a good looking over. It was then I noticed a small sticky pad strip on the inside of my wheel. After a couple of seconds I realised the metal weights had seperated and had fallen off. So this morning I went to a garage near my shop and told them to rebalance my nsf wheel. Isn't that the same wheel you had it happen too Dan?

So far so good, well I only drove all of 500 yards at most. I'll know for sure when I stretch some gears again, lol.

When I bought my Accord I thought it had a wheel bearing gone, the noise was really bad!
Before I changed a bearing, I did a front - rear tyre swap. Suddenly the noise went from front to rear.....

1 new set of boots and noise gone. The super-cheap Triangle tyres it came with were to fault, both worn oval and at an angle!

It's still there, but its definately less than before. I'm gonna get both fronts re balanced next week now.

I don't think it could be my tyres as I switched the wheels front to back in April just before knockhill and its been fine until Friday afternoon.

Well I rebalanced both my front wheels myself yesterday at Funky Power/Planet Performance HQ. The NSF was still out by 10 on the inner edge despite having it rebalanced at a garage on saturday morning. So i thought i'd double check the OSF just in case. Stuck it on the balancer machine and it was well out, 15 on the outer edge and 45! on the inner edge!! Tried it twice and got the same reading so i stripped off all the old weights and tried it again, then it fell to 10 on the outer edge and 35 on the inner edge. Felt a bit much to me to be putting 35 on the inner edge as it would be a long strip of weights but did it anyway and the wheel balanced true at the end, zeros on both sides.

Had a wee test drive home and everything seems fine, so it seems it was just unbalanced wheels causing my vibrations.

Bet that was a relief eh?

too right dan-san, i just put down a whole stack of cash for my new big brakes yesterday. The last thing i want is to have to buy new driveshafts or replacement wheels