What's new

Petrol in my diesel Accord

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
At the beginning of December while re-fuelling my car, by mistake (more like I was being an idiot) I poured about 11 litres of Shell V-Power Petrol in my car instead of diesel. Reliased it after about 11 litres, stopped immediately. Called a cousin who's quite good with cars and he told me to fill it up with standard Shell diesel so I filled it to brim. Cars been driving fine. It always started first time and apart from couple of very light jitters its been spot on. Since then I've topped it up couple of times with standard diesel because that's what he told me to do. However, I'm missing the Shell VPD because engine sounds slightly more nosier and hasn't got the same power and want to know if its safe for me to fill it up with VPD?

yeah, no probs, just fill up with VPD. All the petrol will be out of the system by now anyhow....

No probs as gav said its fine.Your friend probably said about using normal diesel because its cheaper to flush out the petrol.

yes like Brett said it would have cheaper for you to throw away had there been a problem. Fine to fill up with VPD now the petrol will be very diluted by this time

i would suggest changing the fuel filter with it having petrol through it. your lucky no damage has been done so far but you need to realize that petrol does not lubricate in the same way as diesel does. the injectors and high preasure fuel pump rely on the ammount of oil in diesel fuel to keep them lubricated at the high preasures they run at and will wear prematurely as a result of a missfuel. change the filter and keep your fingers crossed..................................................IF ANYONE IS TOLD IT IS OK TO TOP IT UP WITH DIESEL THEY ARE VERY WRONG!

Gotta agree with Adam completely here.

To my mind, the odd few high pressure fuel pump failures we've seen on the forum are down to the car being misfuelled at some point in its life.

When our guys develop the software for tuning diesel cars, very careful attention has to be paid to the fuel duration cycles and pressures as just as Adam explained, diesel is a lubricant as well as a fuel.

Really you should have had the tank drained or as much fuel syphoned out as possible.

In older diesel cars you could get away with it, especially those with mechanical injectors and non turbo's. The ICTDI is a very sophisticated beast and I personally wouldn't have taken the chance you did. Definitely change the fuel filter with a genuine Honda item asap and let the tank run completely down before you refill it with some fresh diesel now.

the main thing is, the cost of wasting the petrol and having the tank drained as well as the recovery and labour is a lot less than a set of new injectors and fuel pump. i recently replaced the injectors, fuel pump and fuel filter inc its casing on a brand new crv. the owner drove the vehicle untill it basicly stopped and unfortunately once the aa was informed, they have to automaticly inform honda. honda then invalidate any warranty that engine had. bare in mind this was a 10 plate crv with under 5k on the clock!.........luckily it was a lease car and the lease company payed out for brand new parts in order for honda to re-honnor its warranty on the engine.

so somthing to bare in mind is that if you have the aa recover your honda as the aa are hondas recovery partner, they will inform honda that your car has been miss fueld. somthing that starts as a silly mistake can cause soooooooooooooooo mutch more hastle. please ppl be very carefull at the pumps.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your responses. I'll get fuel filter from Honda and would get it replaced this weekend if not any sooner. Can I ***ume any mechanic is good enough to replace the fuel filter?
I've let the tank go right down. The light has come on today on my way to work so I'll fill it up with VPD.
Have to agree with you guys, I've been lucky that it didn't cause me any issues. Hopefully it'll never happen again and I've learnt my lesson.

Hi Guys,
Can I ***ume any mechanic is good enough to replace the fuel filter?

Nope!

Either get the Honda Dealer to do it, or have a look at one of the DIY's for the fuel filter, print it off and give said independent mechanic.

For some reason because it is a tad more difficult to do, it tends to get left, but with the correct tools should take no more than an hour to do. Honda techie possibly more towards half an hour.

^Agree or get one of these http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/index.asp

If you missfuel again there are lots of people who will come and drain the tank an example being http://fuelassist.co.uk/testimonials.html

Totally agree guys how hard is it to make the hole in the fuel filler a different size for petrol and diesel :p

I never understood why Honda put the filter in such a stupid place. On the MK4 Golf, it has an almost identical cannister filter from Bosch and it's right at the front behind the o/s headlight. It's literally a 15 minute job and very easy..

Again the japs could learn a thing or two from the good old Germans.

^Agree or get one of these http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/index.asp

If you missfuel again there are lots of people who will come and drain the tank an example being http://fuelassist.co.uk/testimonials.html

I can only endorse the misfuel company noted above. Had to call them out after a misfuel and they gave a very prompt service. Still cost me an arm and a leg though and I still have to replace the fuel filter, high pressure fuel pump and injectors (not driving the car until then) . The price to pay for a lack of concentration at the pump I guess :-(

After having petrols all my life and now having a diesel i always double check every time i fill up i did have a sticker on the steering wheel with diesel written on it to remind me ive only just taken it off.

if I had a diesel no way would i start it with petrol in the tank, if you realise before you start it up you are dead lucky so be grateful and get it drained, starting it anyway is crazy

You should fit one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Think-Diesel-Audible-Warning-Petrol-Diesel-Fuel-Saver-NO-misfuelling-Device-/160800328953?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2570724cf9