What's new

Petrol Throttle Body Clean - over 100K, well worth doing!

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hey guys,

So over the winter the car went into limp mode momentarily a couple times after the throttle simply didn't respond to pedal input. Worst case scenario was a problem with the throttle mechanism itself, but after a little googling, this is not really a thing on the K engines. So I took the ***umption that maybe there was a little soot build up causing the throttle some issues opening as it should.

I bought this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-1831014-54179-Intake-Cleaner/dp/B0056A1XGO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518869843&sr=8-2&keywords=throttle+body+cleaner

It's super easy to remove the intake hose, just a couple of hose clamps, spray a liberal amount of cleaner in there and get to work with a rag. Note, it looked ok from the outside, but if you push the throttle body open, the dirt was mostly on the inside. There was ridge of soot around rim of the throttle body that was preventing it closing 100%. Probably only about 0.5mm worth, but if you pushed the throttle completely shut, it needed some encouragement to open again as it got wedged on the soot. I expect this is what caused my limp mode problems in the winter. Anyway, ten minutes spent cleaning and the worst of the soot was gone. There was still some build up that I doubt I'd get off without removing the throttle and soaking over night, but I managed to remove most of it and the throttle could move unhindered after that.

Left it a while to dry out. Took a little while to start up and there were some smelly fumes as it most likely burned off whatever cleaning fluid remained, but my goodness, she purred like a content big cat after this. Starts much nicer, throttle responds much better and the car feels much more alive than it did prior.

So the long and short of it is, if you're well past 100K like I am, take the preventative measure, spend 20 minutes and a tenner on some cleaning fluid and a rag and do your car a favour. Easy job, anyone could do it and it makes an instant and noticeable improvement to how the car feels.

Please Note: the edge of the throttle body is very sharp. I cut my hands in a couple of places, so please be careful.

Did you have idling problems after that? Many people mention, after throttle body cleaning needs relearn throttle procedure and some times it's not successful...

The engine was actually still pretty warm from a drive when I did it, and I let the car idle for a few minutes after it. I've also covered about 300 miles since doing it and it hasn't missed a beat.

But, yes I should recommend when you start it up after doing a throttle body clean, turn off all heating, radio, everything/anything else you can turn off, hold the revs at 3K until the temperature gauge is in its usual position and then just let the car fully idle for a solid five minutes.

This allows it to relearn its optimum idle setting.

I did this on my wifes Impreza today, it was very dirty on the inner side of the manifold, carb cleaner sorted it out easily enough.
The idle relearn on subaru's is more complex though, switch on leave 20sec start, idle for 15 mins then off leave for 20 sec and then star,t idle 5 mins then off for 20 sec then take it for a run.

Hm, might have a go at this on mine.

Currently feels smooth but idle can be a bit variable.

Added to the list!

Did mine a while ago made nice difference in drive and if not mistaken mpg as well, although I am looking at updating header and throttle body In future

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Yeah, my MPG has improved noticeably since doing it. As much as between 25-50 miles per tank depending on driving conditions.

You never know if these quick fixes to internal combustion engines are behind the 'older vehicles are more polluting' rhetoric behind the diesel vs snowflake argument.

Just what is in the can and does it cause those favoured tfl air monitoring devices to suffer virtual asthma attacks when an oil burner (with legitimate plates) passes under the sensor ?