What's new

Poor Fuel Consumption on 2.4 Auto

Danny, a litre would just cover a fluid change, but you'll use more. Get 2.

Finally had the Steering hose replaced today so will see now if that fixes the problem with the steering noise and issues or if there is any further problems. I also had the 4 spark plugs changed and have just taken a look at the old ones. They look okay colour wise (light brownish) but is it normal to have a bit of what looks like oil (some sort of dark liquid) visible on the screw side of the plugs? There isn't much at all but it is still visible.

Oil on the threads could be that it was not tight in the hole, was it one removed for inspection before? or a drip from rocker cover gasket?

Hi John, it wasn't removed for inspection since I have owned the car. I don't know what a rocker cover gasket is but I really hope this is not another issue. I think I will leave it for now.

Hi all, I have noticed that after changing the power steering pipe I am still getting a noise when steering (and sometimes when not steering). It is no where near as bad as before and it mostly happens when I start the car and pull out. Does this sound like a bad power steering pump? :wacko:

Difficult to say Danny. It was intermittent on your car, which would imply it was air in the pump and not a failed bearing.

Since I changed the fluid in mine, it's got progressively better (and I bought the car expecting to have to fit a new rack) and 6000miles in, the feel's still improving as it pumps more crud from the rack.

I'm ***uming they've used proper Honda power steering fluid?

Could be belt noise, although yours looked pretty good when I saw it.
Just monitor the noise for a few weeks and see how it goes.

danny35 said:
Hi John, it wasn't removed for inspection since I have owned the car. I don't know what a rocker cover gasket is but I really hope this is not another issue. I think I will leave it for now.
No wish to scare the pants off you! but take a look at this!!

http://diy-auto-repair.wonderhowto.com/how-to/fix-spark-plug-well-oil-leak-honda-accord-396332/

If the oil in your case is just on the threads of the plug then I suspect a loose plug or lubed when fitting, however if it is on the outside of the plug and on the bottom of the plastic tube then it could be as the video shows.

Re the noise from the belt area, try squirting a small amount of .wd40 onto the idler pulley whilst engine is ticking over and note any difference.

Thanks Guys, I will have to monitor it and see what happens. If it persists, I will also try the WD40.

I have noticed since the spark plug change and repair of the power steering hose that the car seems to vibrate a bit now sometimes when reversing. The car also occasionally feels as if is about to stall when slowly reversing. Another thing is that the steering wheel occasionally vibrates a bit more than normal momentarily. Any ideas what this may be? I am thinking it must be connected to the spark plug change or maybe they damaged something when fitting the steering pipe.

It seems to be one step forward two steps back with this car at the moment.

p.s.....there are still noises happening when steering like squeaks and whines. Seems to be particularly prevalent when starting up car or driving slowly.

I run a 2.0 cm1 tourer I ave 35 mpg when empty and 30 with a load on .i didn’t go 2.4 because I was city lad,now I’m commuting 17 miles each way a day so my last fill up click to empty 0 on the computer I’d done 452 miles cost to fill 70.00