What's new

Poor Fuel Consumption on 2.4 Auto

freddofrog said:
I don't know which PS hose you're after, but here is the diagram for the PS lines on your car (2004 2.4 auto)

B__3361.jpg

10 is the hose from the reservoir, Honda part number = 53731SDAA00 £12.31

4 is the hose from reservoir to steering rack, Honda part number = 53713SDAQ02 £268.50

11 is the return hose back into the reservoir, Honda part number = 53733SEAE01 £11.70

original link https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__3361&block_03=2853&block_05=hcr

Are you sure you're looking for the correct hose ?

Note that item 4 is discussed in this other recent thread, specific to the diesel
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14969-power-steering-hose/
Yes, I am pretty sure it's 4 on that diagram, the high pressure hose going from the power steering pump. Matt also looked at it on Sunday and mentioned this to me, if he's around he can confirm this.

Do you think that number 4 on that image is the same hose as the one from the images that I attached?

danny35 said:
Do you think that number 4 on that image is the same hose as the one from the images that I attached?
might be worth double checking the part number yourself
start here http://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/car-parts.html
the "thumbnail" drawing you want is called "P.S. LINES (HPS) (RH)"
when you open the "thumbnail" drawing (with part numbers beneath), the part numbers will begin with "PFKL", to get proper Honda part numbers, remove "_pfk" from the URL of the page

then when you have the part number (which might be same as the one I listed), send them the part number, or search ebay or google with the part number

Thanks Bryan, that information is very useful. I do think it does look quite similar to the pipe on the images but need to be certain. I wonder if the breakers yard who has the part for £90 would know the part number of the part as they just took it of the car and I ***ume it would not have a part number visible.

danny35 said:
I wonder if the breakers yard who has the part for £90 would know the part number of the part as they just took it of the car and I ***ume it would not have a part number visible.
I doubt it very much, but if you ask and they say it's ok, and then you buy it and it's not ok, the seller will have to pay for return postage (as long as it is B.I.N.). If seller will not comply, ebay will return the full money to you and you keep the part unless the seller sends a courier. This is all based on distance-selling laws, which ebay does respect.

If it's auction, this does not apply.

i.e. ebay B.I.N. == buying a blue jumper from an online clothes-seller, and they send a black jumper ....not what you wanted, so online clothes-seller must pay for return postage and refund your money.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Unfortunately It.s not from Ebay. Its from a breakers yard that I found through a company called 1stchoice.co.uk, but it would be paid through Paypal.

danny35 said:
Unfortunately It.s not from Ebay. Its from a breakers yard that I found through a company called 1stchoice.co.uk, but it would be paid through Paypal.
Same rule applies and AFAIK, Paypal now also respects UK trading laws..
If you use a credit card "behind" ebay, if Paypal does not comply, go to the credit card company ...but the transaction has to be over £100 for a credit card company to do anything.

About 5 years ago I bought some car parts from an onine supplier using Paypal ...transaction (incl postage) was £120. The supplier sent me the wrong parts, I emailed them and they replied telling me to send the parts back myself, but they would only refund the parts costs but not any postage costs. I contacted Paypal and didn't get any replies from Paypal.

So I contacted my credit card company and they told me to email the seller again, with the credit card company on cc, asking the seller to reply to me and the credit card company. Nothing happened, so the credit card company refunded me on the credit card, and I ***ume that they then clawed the money back from Paypal, who I presume then clawed it back from the seller.

I never heard anything from the seller and I still have the parts (boxed) in my shed, intending to sell them on ebay at some point in time (along with loads of other bits and bobs)

Thanks, didn't know it had to be £100 minimum..that is good to know. The hose is £90 so I would have to rely on Paypal if anything does goes wrong. The seller has asked me to double check before buying the part.

Yep, it's a number four.

(You'll also want an 18 too)

Thanks Matt! Do you think the images on post 237 is the right hose for my car by any chance?

Don't know which post 237 is. I only view this on my phone, and it doesn't give me all the info in mobile view.

I have no idea if that hose is right or not as I don't have your car infront of me.

Surely pre-facelift 2.4 auto's are all the same?

Best to start cross referencing the part numbers on the Lings site to check.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I have no idea if that hose is right or not as I don't have your car infront of me.

Surely pre-facelift 2.4 auto's are all the same?

Best to start cross referencing the part numbers on the Lings site to check.
surely all PS hoses for all 7th gen 2.4 (pre and post facelift, auto and manual box) are identical

I will speak with the breaker tomorrow and get more details then about the exact car the hose is from.

OKay, so I am looking to order that part for £90 but they don't use Paypal. The price is £80 + £10 for delivery.

I know this sounds ridiculous but am I better of paying £110 (£100+£10 delivery) by credit card just to be covered by section 75 incase he sends me an incompatible or faulty item? Does section 75 apply if he sends me an incompatible item or is it just applicable for faulty goods?

How can you increase the amount on the sale ?

The situation in #246 was that I had specifically asked the seller if the parts were compatible and the seller had replied that they were. But in your case, it seems that the seller has put the onus on you, so you would be stuck.

If it's faulty then you would be covered, although the seller might be able to say that it was damaged during fitment by whoever did the work.

Hi Brian, the seller has confirmed that the part has been taken from a 2005 2.4 accord so it should fit if that is the case. I know changing the price would be ridiculous but at least I would be covered just incase by the credit card company. I really don't want to order from a breakers yard in Birmingham without any sort of comeback. Other places are quoting me £160 so even at £110 it would be a good price.

If the guy has e-nails you through eBay, there's a record of it ***ociated with the transaction.
PayPal it, and if it doesn't fit, return it, and get your money back.

I am ordering through a site named 1st choice, a breakers search site. I entered a search for the hose through my number plate, so all breakers get details of my exact car and make me an offer for the appropriate part. If he provides the wrong part, it would be his fault as he replied to a specific request for the part for my 2004 petrol accord. I have records of his offer on my email and on the 1st choice site with my search and his offer for the part for my car.

He doesn't use PayPal unfortunately so I thought better to pay by credit card but to make sure the item is £100 excluding delivery just incase something does go wrong. I know it's not ideal to pay more than the price but I would like some insurance. He is ultimately responsible as he has replied to offer a part to fit my exact car.

Here is a link to the quote

http://postimg.org/image/nlcg9hryr/

With a credit card there is no way to pay more without directly asking the seller to increase the invoice. They will then think it very odd and may ask why, and they may refuse to increase the price if you give the reason. Alternatively, they may have set the price at that amount for this very reason anyway.

He has agreed to the price and will provide an invoice for the £100. I told him that I would pay him £100+£10 and maybe he could clean the hose before sending it to me which he agreed to do. I have never in my life offered to pay more money then the original price, it is a strange one.

freddofrog said:
Hopefully you'll get it before he finds out about this thread LOL
I hope so :lol:

Cliffordski said:
I guess you'll need both washers and power steering fluid as well.

Who will fit it?
I was thinking of just putting in regular power steering fluid, is Honda Power Steering fluid really necessary... I am taking the hose along with the spark plugs to a mechanic to fit-I am not very handy nor trust myself enough to carry out repairs.

I have ordered the O ring already. How many bottles of Honda fluid would I need to fill up the reservoir?