What's new

Pulled for hids

johnnygti

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord executive
As above i went for a stroll into town late last night and within about 8minutes the big black bad 5series traffic had me in a bustop,,,, according to him my hids are illegal however he only came to this conclusion as there was a ballast in the engine bay, he said had this been properly hidden i wouldnt of got a fine as they look like xenons,,,, so why the hell do we get pulled for these?my beam pattern etc is all bang on and iv never been flashed dpr blinding anyone,

Luckily some drunk **** punched the bustop i was in so they said pff you go weve gotta deal with this guy haha
Anyways just felt like a rant

You are the first person i have ever heard of that has got pulled for HID's. What colour are yours.??

It takes more than a glance under the bonnet to establish if they are illegal as well. Just because a ballast is visible does not make them illegal.

As Neal said you are the 1st iv heard of lets see if hot fuzz (Paul) can give us any clues.

Don't know how they could possibly prove illegality, you can just claim you changed the whole headlamp for a Xenon and fitted your own ballasts, if the washers work the only thing they can go on is self levelling, which is difficult to prove at the roadside.

I guess it would depend on what kelvin rating the bulbs where as 10k and 12k would instantly draw popo attention around my way.

I would say this is due to a more 'blue' bulb colour.

I have never heard of being pulled for HID's.. that fact they are factory fit in about 40% of the cars these days.

First one I've ever heard of. Must have been a real jobsworth.

I've been pulled for HiDs mate. Just ignore them. As far as i'm aware, if your car has a valid MOT they cant' do anything. But i did take great pleasure in showing the orificer that they were factory fitted.

9 time out of 10 the police are a great group of people, just seems you were unlucky and got the one who was bullied at school so they became a policeman.

As above i went for a stroll into town late last night and within about 8minutes the big black bad 5series traffic had me in a bustop,,,, according to him my hids are illegal however he only came to this conclusion as there was a ballast in the engine bay, he said had this been properly hidden i wouldnt of got a fine as they look like xenons,,,, so why the hell do we get pulled for these?my beam pattern etc is all bang on and iv never been flashed dpr blinding anyone,

Luckily some drunk **** punched the bustop i was in so they said pff you go weve gotta deal with this guy haha
Anyways just felt like a rant

I have heard of someone getting pulled for them before, its just an excuse when they got nothing to do, HOWEVER they cant prove your HIDS are illegal in any court of law! There has been some news of them trying to ban them before as well. You probable had a very blue tint that caught their attention

Refrence http://www.nissanforums.com/general-discussion/29947-all-hid-kits-become-illegal.html & plenty other threads on google

I've been pulled for HiDs mate. Just ignore them. As far as i'm aware, if your car has a valid MOT they cant' do anything. But i did take great pleasure in showing the orificer that they were factory fitted.

9 time out of 10 the police are a great group of people, just seems you were unlucky and got the one who was bullied at school so they became a policeman.

Hahahahhahaha bullied at school, poor kid.

They check for the brightness of the HIDS in the new MOT as well I think, so yeah as long as you got an MOT your cool!

Never heard of anyone being pulled for HID's either. I'm always getting flashed by oncoming traffic, ever since I bought the car. Every MOT they've had to refocus/adjust one lamp and now I'm told it's seized and I must replace it before the next MOT. Never get any aggro from the cops though. But then there are loads of kids with stupid light mods in Eastbourne. I imagine the coppers have more concern with sorting them out.

And ;) ... I like to roll with my fogs on a lot too, as I think they look cool :blush: . I know I could get pulled for that, but as the car has no mods, is a mess inside and a child seat in the back, I'll just play the "oops, sorry, forgot to turn them off and didn't realise" card. That kind of stuff probably happens all the time in Eastbourne what with the high proportion of doddery old folks. Hopefully that would work if I got pulled. My mate does the same with his fogs though and his Mrs is a copper :lol: . Apparently the fuzz call fog lights tw4t lights :lol: .

But I'm sure you could argue your case and get let off. It seems very dubious that they can actually prove your HID's weren't legal. Very dodgy if you ask me.

Fogs in all but the heaviest of fog are pointless and in clear conditions at night downright dangerous.

Flipping annoying when you do the kind if miles I do.

Never heard of anyone being pulled for HID's either. I'm always getting flashed by oncoming traffic, ever since I bought the car. Every MOT they've had to refocus/adjust one lamp and now I'm told it's seized and I must replace it before the next MOT. Never get any aggro from the cops though. But then there are loads of kids with stupid light mods in Eastbourne. I imagine the coppers have more concern with sorting them out.

And ;) ... I like to roll with my fogs on a lot too, as I think they look cool :blush: . I know I could get pulled for that, but as the car has no mods, is a mess inside and a child seat in the back, I'll just play the "oops, sorry, forgot to turn them off and didn't realise" card. That kind of stuff probably happens all the time in Eastbourne what with the high proportion of doddery old folks. Hopefully that would work if I got pulled. My mate does the same with his fogs though and his Mrs is a copper :lol: . Apparently the fuzz call fog lights tw4t lights :lol: .

But I'm sure you could argue your case and get let off. It seems very dubious that they can actually prove your HID's weren't legal. Very dodgy if you ask me.
Think the Fuzz are spot on ( unless it's foggy of course )

To be fair, my fogs are pretty lame in terms of brightness. I know other people's are well bright. Mine are much gentler. If they were as bright as other peoples I wouldn't roll with them on for sure. I may be a tw4t, but I'm not that much of a tw4t. :lol:

:lol: fair enough; I wasn't having a serious moan. Just venting a little.

I use my rears to fend off tailgaters...especially now my clutch makes embarrassing oiks harder :(

To be fair, my fogs are pretty lame in terms of brightness. I know other people's are well bright. Mine are much gentler. If they were as bright as other peoples I wouldn't roll with them on for sure. I may be a tw4t, but I'm not that much of a tw4t. :lol:
Your excused Steve :lol:

Some of the new cars that don't have LED DRL's have ones that look like fogs so are always on anyway, don't know nowday's how the bizzies would tell. I don't have mine on unless it's foggy, just annoys me that they don't try and sort more serious proper crime out first...

People in glasgow get 30 quid fines left right and centre for hids i just thought id be ok seein its an accord and not a r reg fiesta lol they say if they are aftermarket its an auto 30quid fine and you dont have a leg to stand on, on this occasion the guy was being really nice about it amd let me off due to the yob but hadnt the yob appeared he said he would legally of had to still fine me

This makes for some interesting reading.
http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules in the link above. However, i think, even if you did all of that , it's something you've have a hard job convincing a traffic cop of at the side of the road.

Check the MOT thread:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7796-2012-new-mot-rules/
Obviously the law is different to MOTs though.

Yep, if the police think your breaking the law, no MOT is going to save you. It's only a snapshot in the year when the car was road worthy. 364 other days where an illegal set of lights could be fitted. ;)

More so than that, they're not linked. An MOT doesn't prove that your car is road legal, only that it's roadworthy.
HIDs are illegal but aren't an MOT fail.

Fog lights ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just think those that drive with them on are either totally blind or totally ignorant to other road users.
Oh and for those that drive with them on here's the section of highway code that the Policeman/woman will use to give you the ticket!!!!!
Para 211 states
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced(see rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Rule 201 states
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced,generally when you cannot see for more than 100metres(328feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

So please don't bleat on to the poor PC if he pulls you for this it's all written down in the Highway Code you know that book you read before you pass your test then never open or see again in your life!!!!!!
Try this one dark evening park you car safely put your fog lights on and get out and stand a short distance away from it and think what effect are these having on other road users especially your rear ones think would I like to follow this car with those lights in my eyes??????? And it is worse in the rain?????????????
Think of others not how COOL my car looks with all those lights on.

Oh by the way my brother in law got a fixed £60 fine for driving with front fogs on????
Beware there's no one to blame but yourself.

Here endeth the lesson.

I havn't seen a set that suits the Accord as of yet. Jav has integrated his fog lights into DRL's

This makes for some interesting reading.
http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules in the link above. However, i think, even if you did all of that , it's something you've have a hard job convincing a traffic cop of at the side of the road.
I completely understand this in principle as having a headlight not designed for the job will give bad light dispersion. I thought though on the Accord they used exactly the same headlight ***embly for the halogen bulbs and the Xenon bulbs as the mounting points for the Xenon ballast exists on the standard halogen headlight units. So what would be the difference in this case between retro fitting the Honda factory Xenons into the headlight and fitting after market HID's.

Couldn't you argue the car came fitted with factory Xenons and the ballast have since packed up and you have simply replaced them with an after market set?

I completely understand this in principle as having a headlight not designed for the job will give bad light dispersion. I thought though on the Accord they used exactly the same headlight ***embly for the halogen bulbs and the Xenon bulbs as the mounting points for the Xenon ballast exists on the standard halogen headlight units. So what would be the difference in this case between retro fitting the Honda factory Xenons into the headlight and fitting after market HID's.

Couldn't you argue the car came fitted with factory Xenons and the ballast have since packed up and you have simply replaced them with an after market set?
thats what i plan on,,,,

My mate has h1 led drl bulbs in his fogs they look good and surely cant b illegal

To be quite honest I find the headlights and foglights in my type S to be more than adequate for all driving conditions.
So the question I would ask is if the lights are doing what they are supposed to do in all conditions why do you want to go to all the trouble of fitting HIDs which in the end could cost you a lot more MOT failure, fines, costs to replace after either of these two???
Or is it just because they look good when they are on ??? Which I would say how chavy is that.
While we are on the subject of lights why are so many taxis getting away with only one headlight working??????? Anyone seen this why are the Police not stopping these who are quite blatantly breaching the rules of the MOT???????