What's new

Question for you folks

hughezee

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG2 & RA6
Right guys & gals, seeking advise regarding SAT NAV issues, i had a 2004 icdti in the other day in need of some work and when owner picked up the car he mentioned the original sat nav unit goes off when starting the engine but stays on in first key position. So I happily obliged after just getting paid for the original job, checked all the connections and proceeded to clean the DVD player lens, as this has worked well for me in the past well no joy, and luckily just had unit back from repair with disk error from another car, so I tried it in his car and it worked fine. Never the less, he wants a upgrade unit e.g Koolertron DVD/GPS unit now, for newer Maps, blue tooth ect
I’ve fitted one to a petrol car however it states not compatible with diesel accord, could anybody shed any light or recommend a unit that would fit in place of the old navigation system in diesel model?

Thanks in advance

That's odd Stu I would have thought petrol and diesel units would work in either car.
I might be wrong but what could the difference be.

Firstly regards the issue. It's a faulty lens arm I believe. That's what went on mine. Same symptoms as you describe. First key position was ok, but with the engine on, it's like the secondary bit of voltage moved the lens arm into an incorrect position and it didn't reset until restarted.

Anyway, mine was removed, sent away, repaired and refitted for around the £250 mark.

There is an after market option that one members had fitted, but when it was fitted to the Diesel it went and took out the whole AC unit. I don't know what or why, but the unit doesn't operate properly with the Diesel as the Diesel apparently has a different AC setup to the petrol. I vaguely recall the guy went back to the company making it who after some times sent him a revised one that did work on the Diesel.

However, this was some time ago and with the forum's search function not working, I don't really know what to suggest regards dredging up the info.

However I've just been googling and there seems to only be one after market option for the Accord, which is the same one that I mentioned above. It's reviewed pretty badly in a few places.

I honestly think your best bet is sticking with what's there, fixing it and putting the 2.11 disc in. That's the latest one that supports his hardware. There really isn't a lot of options in truth.

Stevearcade said:
There is an after market option that one members had fitted, but when it was fitted to the Diesel it went and took out the whole AC unit. I don't know what or why, but the unit doesn't operate properly with the Diesel as the Diesel apparently has a different AC setup to the petrol.
This. The diesel has a different A/C setup from the petrol and as such a different control unit. Why, well the diesel has that reverse A/C heater control thingy - which is really cold weather accelerates the heat into the cabin. So unless you're going to do HVAC swap it won't work.

There's very little aftermarket HVAC modifications for the diesel as the bulk of them are aimed at the American market where the Acura TSX petrol sold (no diesel over there).

Best best as Steve says is to get the current one repaired.

BTW - Honda Man - still loving the facebook pages and posts. Well done on your successful venture! :lol:

That explains it guys so it's only the AC that determines the difference.

Thanks again just spoke to the chap anyway and we are going down the repair route and a new map disk :) and in regards to facebook a few more post & page likes wouldn't go a miss, this may spur me into a another T.A competition :D

I'm a regular Like and Post stalker already :ph34r: B)

jayok said:
I'm a regular Like and Post stalker already :ph34r: B)
Me too :ph34r:

Yep it was me that went through this pain a few years back and posted my experience on the forum.. Do a search you will see it somewhere.

The integrated climate controls in the petrol and diesel are actually different and there is a seperate integrated relay within the circuitry of the diesel climate control panel.

The aircon would work but not kick in the cooling fans which after a short while would cause the system to discharge all it's gas to prevent from compressor burnout..

I believe there is a diesel compatible unit available now. Look for a company or seller called Icebox in the Merseyside area. The guy is called Rob, helpful guy..

yeah the customer did speak to a very informative chap at icebox and confirmed my conclusion about the dual climate control wouldn't work, thanks again for your input guys