What's new

Rear ended, what to do next ?

I would report to my insurance but not have them deal with the claim, instead contact her and get claiming off her insurance DIRECT, they will not take the car as this involves costs (recovery/storage), instead they will come out and ***ess the car, if repairable you will get a better deal than having your insurance chasing them, your courtesy car will be like for like, instead of a small budget car plastered in bodyshop details. if your lucky they will write off the car , Then you will get an offer where you should also make them an offer where you can keep the car to fix/sell as it is, or break for spares, your car is worth peanuts to them after they have paid to get it picked up, they will only knock off 200£ max off the money they offer for your car, YOUR QUIDS IN

insurance is a joke, if a car drives into me after pulling out of a side road my premium will most likely go up due to no fault of my own, step back or not.

bit of a farce.

so the bottom line insurance 1 punter 0

yes eric in 100% of cases if you pull out and a car hits you your insurance will go up as your at fault. weather he has no insurance and came speeding around the bend its still your fault,

toffee_pie said:
whats the point in insurance if your premium will increase due to an accident not your fault?

have you step back protection? to prevent stupid things like this happening me i always do step back to protect my ncb
No I don't have protected NCB. I've only got 1.5 years NCB so they don't offer me that option as a newish driver.
flexa said:
I would report to my insurance but not have them deal with the claim, instead contact her and get claiming off her insurance DIRECT, they will not take the car as this involves costs (recovery/storage), instead they will come out and ***ess the car, if repairable you will get a better deal than having your insurance chasing them, your courtesy car will be like for like, instead of a small budget car plastered in bodyshop details. if your lucky they will write off the car , Then you will get an offer where you should also make them an offer where you can keep the car to fix/sell as it is, or break for spares, your car is worth peanuts to them after they have paid to get it picked up, they will only knock off 200£ max off the money they offer for your car, YOUR QUIDS IN
Too late to do all that now.

I can't see them writing off my Accord tbh. New bumper and sensors might be what £500 ?

2005 Exec Diesel 98k probably worth £2-£2.5k

Also what can I claim as an out of pocket expense ?

Hire car (like for like), bumper and fitting, mileage for driving the accord to and from the repair shop and then phone bills ?

Would be great if I could claim the cost of my higher future premiums from the other parties insurer too.

Have you thought to perhaps cut out the middle man and just take the car in and send her a copy of the bill? If it can be done outside on both partys then there's nothing lost. That way yuo both keep your clean slates. I'd give her a call and discuss the options.

Solvalou said:
Have you thought to perhaps cut out the middle man and just take the car in and send her a copy of the bill? If it can be done outside on both partys then there's nothing lost. That way yuo both keep your clean slates. I'd give her a call and discuss the options.
We discussed that at the scene, but we both thought that the bill would be "several hundred £££", so would be more costly than the increased premiums over time.

I agree that's the best approach for a small bump though.

Jamie91 said:
We discussed that at the scene, but we both thought that the bill would be "several hundred £££", so would be more costly than the increased premiums over time.

I agree that's the best approach for a small bump though.
IDK what else to suggest, I hope it works out in the end though (or atleast better than it has for me). Best of luck for you anyway and i'm glad you didn't take her for a ride like a guy did for me (brake falure, though admittedly my fault).

One thing to note, what looks like a small hit when the bumper is taken off reveals a host of other damage and bent metal. It could of pushed the whole boot are in slightly.

what i meant was a car pulling out of a side road hitting me (i would have right of way), its a pretty common incident and have a few close calls myself.

insurance is crap!

Oooh, that does change things I agree with Jon. Fingers crossed for you mate that it's not as bad as it looks.

Jon_G said:
That is worrying... expect the worst.

Honda Guy made a good point there, unfortunately.

Stevearcade said:
Oooh, that does change things I agree with Jon. Fingers crossed for you mate that it's not as bad as it looks.
Say they were to write the Accord off, how do they arrive at a price to pay me for it ?

Knowing my luck they'll offer me like £1500 or something way under what it's worth

And would I get to keep a hire car for a reasonable time it takes me to find a replacement? Sorry so many questions lol

And would I even buy another Accord given my mileage has dropped since I brought it...

My Wife's car was at the front of a row of parked cars that got demolished by a clinical moron one morning. Her car had basically no damage apart from tow bar but due to cost of tow bar replacement it was written off Cat D, she had had the car less than a week and paid £1500 for it. The moron's insurance paid out £1500, we paid about £200 to buy the car back (I think), got it re-MOT'd and that was it. Her premiums didn't change as a result of this as it was all done through the Moron's insurance (which had to pay for 3 written off cars, plus his own :p )

So i would claim through her insurance and leave yours out of it. Just keep them updated. My Wife is with diamond, who are the same firm as Elephant so you should be OK doing this.

Looking at the damage, I would agree that you need to be prepared for it being written off.

Good Luck
Tom

.:Edit:. Regarding the hire car, my neighbour, whose car was also totalled in the above incident had various hire cars for about 6 months until she bought a new car with the payout so I suspect you get some time to sort yourself out. I have no facts to back this up though. .:Edit:.

Osiris said:
My Wife's car was at the front of a row of parked cars that got demolished by a clinical moron one morning. Her car had basically no damage apart from tow bar but due to cost of tow bar replacement it was written off Cat D, she had had the car less than a week and paid £1500 for it. The moron's insurance paid out £1500, we paid about £200 to buy the car back (I think), got it re-MOT'd and that was it. Her premiums didn't change as a result of this as it was all done through the Moron's insurance (which had to pay for 3 written off cars, plus his own :p )

So i would claim through her insurance and leave yours out of it. Just keep them updated. My Wife is with diamond, who are the same firm as Elephant so you should be OK doing this.

Looking at the damage, I would agree that you need to be prepared for it being written off.

Good Luck
Tom

.:Edit:. Regarding the hire car, my neighbour, whose car was also totalled in the above incident had various hire cars for about 6 months until she bought a new car with the payout so I suspect you get some time to sort yourself out. I have no facts to back this up though. .:Edit:.
Fully prepared for the worst.

Ideally they'd write it off for a few grand, let me buy the scrap for a few hundred, and I could get it repaired privately for less than the payout.

Bodyshop came to take a few photos of the Accord on Monday (Thursday today) and today got a call saying it's "undriveable". Strange word to use, but they sent me an Avensis hire car and will take the Accord tomorrow.

My premiums went up after a bump that wasn't my fault. Then about 8 months after the accident I got a letter from my insurance saying that the case had been resolved and they gave me a refund of the additional premium they'd charged due to me being involved in an accident. That was with Admiral.

They wrote the car off and offered me £1400 for it, which is about 40% more than I thought it was worth, and they then knocked £80 off that and let me keep the car anyway.

Having a crash actually worked out quite well for me.

So you never know...

Got the Accord back yesterday :) . The bodyshop told me that the sensors were aftermarket and not factory fitted. This confused me as I was convinced that these were the Honda ones as I've never seen an Accord with discreet sensors. Here's the one's i had fitted. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img849/3636/gr2u.jpg

They also told me that the bumper was already filled with foam from a previous accident. They fitted a new bumper so it's probably in better shape than it was before the crash. Didn't tell me how much it all cost though.

They look after market, from experience sensors have to be a certain height to work properly. Any problems with them as they look very low?

TypeR said:
They look after market, from experience sensors have to be a certain height to work properly. Any problems with them as they look very low?
No problems with them.

I know they look after market, but the 7th gen factory fitted ones are also quite bulky so ***umed they were the factory fitted ones.

Glad you got your Accord sorted, your sensors look like ebay ones not factory and installed very low compared to stock.

Salim said:
Glad you got your Accord sorted, your sensors look like ebay ones not factory and installed very low compared to stock.
Worked out in the end OK i suppose. Bumper is in better condition than it was before the accident and got a hire car to play with for a week