What's new

Rear Pads - Uneven wear

riot68

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type s tourer
Have just changed the rear brake pads as one side was to the bone.

Over the past couple of years have had both rear callipers changed due to seizing, this has resulted in new discs and a few lot's of new pads.

However I thought the issue was resolved, regular check the temp of the back wheels after long journeys due to paranoia of more seizing, but no extra heat.

When we did the new pads yesterday, passenger side were even on both pads, however drivers side inner was a little less than both passenger ones and outer was about obliterated. We did clear some gunk out of the rubber seal round the slider so maybe that was holding things up a bit.

Am going to keep an eye on them now the new pads are in, just wanted to know if anyone else had had similar experiences or anyone shed any light on why it might be happening?

Was very surprised at how easy they are to change so that's one good thing, thanks...

Hi mate
How easy was it to rewind the calipers back?
They should be the same resistance for both calipers.
If one feels alot harder than the other then depending on how much resistance there is I would suspect a seized caliper.
There should be some resistance but not to the point where you are really struggling

Hi mate
How easy was it to rewind the calipers back?
They should be the same resistance for both calipers.
If one feels alot harder than the other then depending on how much resistance there is I would suspect a seized caliper.
There should be some resistance but not to the point where you are really struggling

We just took of the reservoir cap and pushed them back with a bar, think they were about the same, maybe the one with uneven wear was a little harder. This was only changed by Honda end of March 2010, about 17k ago. Since then the passenger one has been done too. Bit of an Achilles heal these rear callipers. Just checked through my service record and it seems that the pads weren't changed when either of the new callipers were done so the uneven wear may have happened before of you see what I mean? Will just have to keep an eye on them. Certainly not getting any hotter like they did before though. thanks for the advise...

Have you checked the hoses?

Yeah man, hoses!!! The corrode inside and the gunk from the corrosion builds up in the pistons causing the pistons to not retract properly and causing premature wear on the pads and discs. Mine just went suddenly on one side recently. Had the pads and discs replaced a few months back. Then a few weeks ago got to work to a really hot and smelly rear wheel. Got a tow to Honda, although I already knew what it was, and they had replacement pistons and hoses in stock as it's so common on the Accords :huh: ! I was lucky and the disc and pad weren't damaged, I caught it early.

Sound to me like you may have a slow version of what happened with mine. Mine went suddenly on one side, and I'll get the other side sorted (as a preventative measure) as soon as I can afford it. Although they did investigate them and said the other side wasn't too bad.

All that said, if you've had seized brakes already, it was probably this that caused it, and they probably replaced your hoses when the fixed it. How long ago, if it wasn't long, you may be able to get them to look into it for free. My Honda garage are very good like that and have investigated a few things free of charge, if I've not been completely happy after a job.

Keep us informed.

:)

The rear calipers are designed to twist back, using a bar is not good

Not on the Tourer bud...

Sorry couldn't say what look for on the hoses, just know they need to be next on your list.

you are right dan, just realised it was a tourer in question

Heh... that's 2 for 2 today :p

So am i ok to push them back on a tourer?

They seem to work fine. Will keep an eye on them now. Checked the temp after a long motorway run and wheels nearly cold so looks good. Plus the fact that last time pads were changed was before first calliper was done. Thanks for all the help...

Pushing back the pistons is fine, but I would do it with a g clamp instead of a bar. That way you keep the piston square.

Pushing back the pistons is fine, but I would do it with a g clamp instead of a bar. That way you keep the piston square.

Cool, well done now and all seems fine, fingers crossed the wear was from before. Time will tell. Thanks again everyone...