What's new

Rear Wheel Bearing

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
I've been told my rear wheel bearing needs replacing but just wanted some advice from you guys.

I understand from reading various posts on here that the bearing comes as part of the hub however I'm wondering if I'm able to replace this myself as the bearing doesn't need to be pressed in.

I've seen a few on ebay that look like they fit the bill as well. Are they worth taking a punt on?

Dont buy cheap.. Youll replace twice... Are you in anyway mechanical minded? If not then get a pro to do it otherwise youll say tata to your wheel and itll cost you more in the long... And for peace of mind.. Id have someone that knows what there doing.. Do it..

Fair point, I'm not a fan of buying cheap. Like you say, I'll replace it twice.

I've changed pads and discs so not sure if that qualifies me to really do this?

I'd like to do it though just so I know how.

I've done both rear hubs on a prelude 1999 and it wasn't too bad. You have to dismantle everything and crack the bolt holding the hub on. Think its a 32 but could be wrong

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but when you say crack the nut, should I be buying a replacement nut then?

Maybe that question answers if I should be doing this myself ha ha.

The bearing should come with a new nut... Always advised that a new nut is fitted mate

I've done a few rear wheel bearings :) so thought I would illustrate the process

IMAG0496_zps11bea0f6.jpg

IMAG0497_zps3419e9b5.jpg

IMAG0498_zpsf4af30e2.jpg

IMAG0499_zps4def1e0e.jpg

IMAG0500_zps197b4965.jpg

IMAG0501_zps6eee24a7.jpg

IMAG0502_zps57dbe897.jpg

IMAG0506_zps66d460ec.jpg

IMAG0507_zpsd174b8d4.jpg

IMAG0508_zps971c3bdf.jpg

IMAG0509_zps3ea523e5.jpg

IMAG0510_zpsd01dadc5.jpg

IMAG0513_zpsddb80f98.jpg

Great write up mate.

You should be packing grease into it before you put the washer and nut onto it.. Otherwise it wont last a wift with the small amount you have on the shaft..

The last few shots where test fit shots that's all :lol: I even replaced the retaining screws on the disk :p

IMAG0518_zps7aaaf798.jpg

IMAG0517_zps049a63f3.jpg

Even seated it snug with grease and removed nut again and packed more grease in before returning the cap, its done 15k since and no prob's :)

Just making sure and making the point so the fella knows that it should be packed with grease before tightening the nut up lol

I've just done the front wheel bearing on mine this weekend. Get the correct tools and take your time! Plenty of penetrating oil on the seized caliper bolts and clean them up with a wire brush (preferably on a drill...) before you go beating the hell out of them with a breaker bar. On those old, rusty bolts I prefer to use a 6-point socket rather than a 12...dunno if it makes any difference but to my mind it minimises the chances of rounding off.

I managed to get an SNR kit from mister-auto.co.uk for half the price of the equivalent from euro car parts, so it pays to shop around to find a quality product :)