What's new

recommend oil filter,honda,fram etc

I was aware that the Toyota VVTi system didn't give greater valve lift (I've had it apart during a rebuild)... I was merely pointing out that engine oil pressure (irrespective of the level) carried out the necessary action - to its fullest extent - following the operation of a solenoid.

However, the argument seems to be slightly altering. Yes, I suppose a significantly higher oil pressure might cause actuation/transition to take place a fraction quicker. Maybe even as much as a few milliseconds?

Would it be better to say that when the conditions for VTEC have been met (engine speed, rpm, temp, oil pressure and TPS) the ECU triggers the solenoid allowing the oil, under pressure to push the synchronisation pin into the rocker arms?

AndyB1976 said:
Would it be better to say that when the conditions for VTEC have been met (engine speed, rpm, temp, oil pressure and TPS) the ECU triggers the solenoid allowing the oil, under pressure to push the synchronisation pin into the rocker arms?
I think we can agree on that one! :)

Unless its VVTLi. Either way both are inferior to Pagani free valve system the possibilities are endless. Honda really should have been the one who invented this.

I can see why people are sceptical about the HAMP, it probably only decreases the time taken for VTEC to engage because of the extra oil pressure. The original HAMP filters are made by Toyo Roki and other filters by Mugel et al are of the same design.

Plus our SOHC VTEC only has the benefit on the intake valves and no 3rd rocker arm, unlike the DOHC which is the proper VTEC. The i-VTEC have VTC. The closest system to VTEC is MIVEC, no one has a better system than Honda's VTEC though. ;)