What's new

recommend oil filter,honda,fram etc

JAPIMPORT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 ACCORD SE
hi ive noticed that there is a lot of honda owners on other sites using fram oil filters as supposibly it boosts oil pressure,is there really much difference between oem filters and aftermarket ones,do honda owners on here use genuine honda oil filters all the time or different ones,im just curious :)

Stick to Honda, or if you want to go after market, use a Purflux. The Honda ones are made by Purflux...

AndyB1976 said:
I read some stories that Fram weren't all that great (well at least compared to OEM) but as usual couldn't find it lol...

Quick google did throw this up however http://g6civcx.napalm.net/tech/oilfilter.htm
hi andy :) i can see the difference with the link you posted up,the honda one it looks much better put together than the fram one.in the link i seen a k&n oil filter i didnt think they done oil filters

I think I vaguely remember the K&N oil filter when I was considering buying their panel filter.

I just decided to stick with OEM for everything as there seemed too much opinion over fact on what was best, better the devil you know in my case ;) (not that I researched it in any great depth)

I used BluePrint this change and my vtec seems to work 10 times better than oem.
but i change my oil and filter every 3k miles anyways. so thats every 2 months or so lol

TonyK7ng87 said:
I used BluePrint this change and my vtec seems to work 10 times better than oem.
but i change my oil and filter every 3k miles anyways. so thats every 2 months or so lol
this is a bit of topic but i have a question regarding vtec,when does it kick in is it the same on all hondas

I looked for a K&N Oil Filter for the 6th Gen. a while back but was told they don't do one :(.

vtec is set at a load of different rpms depending on engine ect. my accord 1.8 sport kicks in around 4k rpm. my dc2 6k rpm ;)

You want a HAMP (Honda After Market Parts) filter, that has a bit inside that boosts the oil pressure. I'm gonna try one next time I service, but I don't think it will make massive difference on our economy engines, but people praise them on their performance Honda's.

On my 2.0 the VTEC kicks in at 4.5k.

I can't see how getting more oil pressure will improve vtec, since it's "on" or "off". It really is activated by oil pressure, but it just need a specific(or higher) oil pressure to activate it. More pressure will be the same, regarding vtec.
About the lubrication it self, I really can't tell.

Isn't oil pressure determined by the deliberate restrictions in the oil channels? If so it would be interesting to see how an oil filter would boost it further!

I can confirm that the HAMP filter do improve vtec performance, they have the same valve system as Blueprints i use.

Vtec on SOHC isnt that loud compared to DOHC and type r, but with the BluePrint or HAMP oil filter, you notice an increased activation sound.
This is because They are increase the oil pressure by 3-4psi. The HAMP oil filter was specifically designed for use with the VTEC and iVTEC cars. It release valve that dynamically adjusts to the conditions within the filter to keep the oil flow and pressure constant. ;)

hi tony :) would that be any blueprint filter or a specific type of blue print filter

from what i know the blueprint filters are vehicle pasific so if ordered with reg number then you should be supplied with correct vtec filter

I still can't understant how it could improve vtec...
The only thing I can imagine that could benefit from higher oil pressure, is that the vtec would activate a few microseconds faster. Since there is more pressure, the "vtec locking pin" would lock the lobes a tiny bit faster, but after the cam lobes are locked, it's all the same thing...

the higher the oil pressure the better the oil feed is the the vtec lobes ect.
the vtec solenoid plays a huge part in how aggressively the vtec crossover sound ect is. the lower the oil pressure the slower the oil will circulate and the longer it will take to pass through the meshing in the vtec solenoid too.

When on vtec the engine need higher oil pressure, the higher the pressure, the bigger the oil compression = bigger bang on the vtec side of things

...but when VTEC engages, isn't that already determined by having enough oil pressure and RPM (and temp ?).

You could have RPM and pressure (due to cold oil have higher viscosity) but not (at) operating temp. I believed VTEC won't engage on a cold engine is that incorrect? I never wring mine when its cold so don't know lol

Therefore when those three criteria are met it then engages and its power is only increased by fuel and air thereafter?

my vtec only used to enguage after half hour or so driving. it now enguages when lupe warm. so it deffo helps.

i have to be honest the like of spoon ect use hamp style filters on there cars as it helps with performance

Ahh ok, the temperature might have been a red herring lol. I just recall reading it somewhere, but couldn't find the source :huh:

Not convinced about the beneficts in vtec. When it's "on", it's "on"...
In my 1.8 Accord, when the engine is hot, about 5 minutes, i have no problem hitting vtec, and it never refused to activate it. Also the noise change and power gains it's pretty noticeable in 1st gear.

If you want a really really really good filter, go for a Toyo Roki(Japan), which are normally used by engines prepared by Spoon. Still, I am sure it will not improve vtec, "just" provide better lubrication!

Skhell. can u post a vid of you car and vtec engaging, then ill upload 1 i show yo vtec is loud in all my gears with my oil filter. my cars stock apart from hks panel filter in oem housing.

my cars 2001 1.8 Sport, F18b2. so same as yours, so will see the difference mate.

I can try do that, although the sound will not be great when filmed with a regular camera... Still, I will try do that in the week-end. Oh, mine "completely" stock, apart from the LPG kit ;-)

Also, what have you done to the car, related to maintenance, when you changed the oil filter?
Different oils can make the engine sound different. That K&N filter was already in the car with the oil filter? That will indeed increase the intake sound, most noticeable in vtec

I would use Honda filters or HAMP as people suggested. Someone cut them in half and shows big difference in material quality cannot say for other brands of cars but Honda ones are definitely superior.

I last done oil change 4-5 weeks ago, I change my oil and filter ever 3,000 miles, she's covered 125,782 miles. ;)

Surely the magnitude of the VTEC isn't dependant upon the specific amount of oil pressure? That would be oddly inconsistent. Isn't it simply the presence of oil pressure (due to the solenoid operating and allowing oil pressure to be available) that actuates the system? Same as on my VVTi Toyota.

REALLY????
Another Toyota VVTi to Honda Vtec Comparison...lol

Vtec completely different,

VVTi = Varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive (belt or chain) and intake camshaft. BUT DOES NOT LIFT VALVES!

Vtec = It is a valve train system to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four cylinder internal combustion engine.
It not only varies the timing, but also LIFTS VALVES
When Vtec is Engaged the computer sends small current to the vtec solenoid which controls the oil driven adjustable cam gear.
The higher the Oil pressure, higher/faster the valves are lifted which = A more Aggressive the Switch over and soo on.

TonyK7ng87 said:
REALLY????
Another Toyota VVTi to Honda Vtec Comparison...lol

Vtec completely different,

VVTi = Varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive (belt or chain) and intake camshaft. BUT DOES NOT LIFT VALVES!

Vtec = It is a valve train system to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four cylinder internal combustion engine.
It not only varies the timing, but also LIFTS VALVES
When Vtec is Engaged the computer sends small current to the vtec solenoid which controls the oil driven adjustable cam gear.
The higher the Oil pressure, higher/faster the valves are lifted which = A more Aggressive the Switch over and soo on.
The VTEC in the Accord 1.8 is a "old" vtec, it only does valve lift, it does not interfere with timing. The cam gears are fixed and there is no way of adjusting them, either manually or via hydraulic fluid!
IIRC, the new VTEC versions, which, I think is called iVTEC, does both; the valve lift and the timing/cams adjustment...