What's new

Remap

Kool Keith

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
I was thinking about getting my engine remapped, but I've heard getting the engine remapped can add more wear on to the clutch is there any truth to this?

My car has done about 162k, I haven't had any clutch issues and according to the history the car hasn't had the clutch replaced.

yeah, naturally it will put more pressure on the clutch, as the remap will increase your horsepower, and Torque, so your Clutch has to deal with the extra power, but this is very generic and applies to any car that gets remapped.

Theres a few people on here who are running stage 1 remaps who don't seem to have any bother though.

I would advise you budget for a clutch if getting your car tuned. Normally they're fine with our stage 1 EGR off but you never really know until you tune it.

Kool Keith said:
I was thinking about getting my engine remapped, but I've heard getting the engine remapped can add more wear on to the clutch is there any truth to this?

My car has done about 162k, I haven't had any clutch issues and according to the history the car hasn't had the clutch replaced.
For what its worth mine was remapped on ~90k, and is on 122k now with no problems and the original clutch still. Stage 1 remap

stage 2 from fahad and clutch was replaced 3 years ago no problems till now. I don't have a heavy foot but I tow my boat with it.

Thing is, on that mileage that clutch is surely on borrowed time anyway and will surely want replacing at some point. May as well get a remap and let that clutch go out on a high lol

I agree with Alan above. Your clutch may be fine but you will be taking the gamble.

From what i've heard the main weak pointon the stock clutch is the springs on the pressure plate, meaning that it can slip when you put extra torque through it.

Thanks for the feedback, its really appreciated. I'm not working at the moment, I'm studying, so which means my freelance work is on the backburner, I can afford a remap no problem. But I can't budget for a clutch and flywheel atm

F6HAD said:
I would advise you budget for a clutch if getting your car tuned. Normally they're fine with our stage 1 EGR off but you never really know until you tune it.
Yeah I was thinking stage 1 for now and once I've finished studying I'd think about further tuning. So even with stage 1 EGR it could still be risky?

Kool Keith said:
Yeah I was thinking stage 1 for now and once I've finished studying I'd think about further tuning. So even with stage 1 EGR it could still be risky?
'Risky' is probably the wrong word. Any Clutch is a wear and tear item - it will never last for ever, so you are probably better thinking in terms of 'accelerated wear'.

If you get a Stage 1 or indeed Stage 2 remap, and regularly floor it, then you will increase the wear rate of the clutch because there is more torque being transmitted through it.

At some point any clutch will wear out - that's a given. A remap, depending on how it's used, will potentially accelerate that wear rate, especially if you drive like you stole it, and could therefore mean that the clutch won't last as long as it otherwise would have done on standard power.

As Fahad, and the others, have said, it's best to have a bit put back for one - especially as your original one has done 162K, which is pretty good TBH!