What's new

Replacing the Glow Plug Controller Relay

Zim

Reaction score
Car
Accord CDTI 2.2 Esta
Hi all, I've been having trouble with 2004 2.2 Tourer and have replaced the glow plugs but still have the P1384 error. I have obtained a replacement relay but I wanted to make sure that I followed the correct procedure for installing it. In particular I wanted to see if with the ignition off I can simply unplug the old one and install the new one or do I need to disconnect the battery or other leads? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Hi the issue isn’t your relay but one of your glow plugs, likely a hairline crack in one of them and not always visible. Avoid aftermarket glow plugs, the ecu is sensitive to the quality and expects a certain millisecond response time which substandard plugs often can’t meet and end up triggering spurious errors.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate your time. I've replaced the glow plugs with Honda ones (one was definitely duff) so that is why I've moved onto the controller. It looks like a simple unplug old controller and plug in the new but my experience is that things are often more involved than at first sight....

Yes it is a straight swap of the relay for a new one.

Thanks again F6HAD. I will give it a go and feed back on how I get on.

Well as it turns out F6HAD was entirely correct. The glowplugs were not genuine Honda as I had thought but Bosche . Still good quality but just not right. New set of Honda genuine glowplugs and it's all working a treat. I thought I would report back for anyone else experiencing the problem - double check the glowplugs!!

Many thanks F6HAD

Thanks for circling back mate. Glad you got it fixed.