What's new

Retrofitting sat nav

randalf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI EX
After much hand wringing about the pros and cons i have decided to take the plunge and buy an accord.

Unfortunately for me, the specific trim of car isn't readily available (has anyone else noticed that low mileage EX accords with sat nav just don't seem to be available right now)

Onto my question, if i were to get a stock EX without Sat nav, is it possible to retrofit the navigation, if so what would be involved or would i be best just getting a tomtom?

Tia

Randalf

I know nothing about the Accord sat nav but the main question for me about factory fit units is the availability of up to date mapping data and how much it costs. If it's prohibative a Tom tom in my eyes would be better.

I agree with Nick, the DVD's with the maps are not cheap, and to be honest a mobile phone is now even good enough.

I have an Android phone, which comes with FREE Google Maps and Directions. The only downside is the voice - its pretty robotic to say the least. The other significant advantage is the Google Street view- so you can physically see the location you'll be arriving at.

The more advanced members will give you a better idea of swap outs, I think you'll end up losing the storage compartment below the current radio, as its used for the DVD drive.

Good luck, but I would not use the missing Sat Nav as a deal breaker, on what is otherwise a fantastic car.

G.

I agree with Nick, the DVD's with the maps are not cheap, and to be honest a mobile phone is now even good enough.

I have an Android phone, which comes with FREE Google Maps and Directions. The only downside is the voice - its pretty robotic to say the least. The other significant advantage is the Google Street view- so you can physically see the location you'll be arriving at.

The more advanced members will give you a better idea of swap outs, I think you'll end up losing the storage compartment below the current radio, as its used for the DVD drive.

Good luck, but I would not use the missing Sat Nav as a deal breaker, on what is otherwise a fantastic car.

G.

Already missed out on the top car

'08 2.2 EX Accord with sat nav and hft with 16k on the clock, 12 month warranty on at stratstones for £11800.

The guy who pulled up in the car park before me went and bought it.....doh!

Not seen anything remotely approaching that deal.

But i'm sure that deals will appear in the run up to xmas

it was covered on our old forum but unfortunatly all gone now its not an easy job you need to tear apart wiring looms and add wires etc etc

Everything is possible and this retrofit has been done.. but it was an absolute nightmare by the looks of it.

***uming the 7th gen has a double din slot, then you can buy a double din headunit that has inbuilt satnav, ive looked into this, as I have a double din slot in my 4th gen, but im not prepared to throw £400 at it.

Keep looking, you'll find what you want eventually. Reckon you'd be better off with a Tom Tom or Garmin though

I would tend to agree... Rocking horse pooh is more common than low mileage EX's. You would be better off with a good mobile - HTC HD2 has a huge screen and Co-Pilot Live 8 is a great piece of software. Would be cheaper and more functional.

Honda Sat Nav rivals my missus for pants directional sense as well :lol:.

As mentioned there was a very good writeup a few years back, but it was very expensive and took him a while to sort out all the wiring!!!

Your better off with a TomTom or like me a HTC Desire :D

For a laugh i asked her to follow our journey home from my dad's house on the map. After 20 minutes she wasn't even in the right country... We had only used half a dozen junctions too -
epicfail.gif

Oh man tell me about missing out on a deal.
I saw a nice sliver 07 plate Accord I-CDTi sport with SatNav at a garage in Aberdeen.
£8988 with 31k on the clock.
Went and put a dep. down and the sales guy even gave me £1000 off the price.
I thought I was in Heaven.
Next day turns out he sold me the wrong Accord. There was a Silver 07 plate but petrol.
Was gutted. He said the price would be the original £8988 and I agreed.
Then he comes and tells me some other guy waaaaayy down South put the Dep on the car I wanted that monring!!!!!!!!!

So I ended up loosing that car.

But, Light at the end of the tunnel.
I found a nice 2.2 I-CDTi in Deep Mocha for £8495 with 40k on the clock.
Brought that one.
Now just waiting till the weekend to go and get it.
:eek: