What's new

REVIEW: EXOL 0w/30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

I'd suggest that anyone buying a 25 litre tub of oil get the tap from LubeTech too.

I thought I'd manage without, but having struggled to fill my 1 litre topup bottle from the big drum I realised my mistake!

To save carriage on re-ordering the Lubetech part, I got a tap from eBay. It fits, but the threaded portion of the drum isn't long enough for the tap to seal. The fix was easy, once I'd cleaned the large spill off the garage floor :unsure: , by hacksawing off the flange from my tap:

11ayjv4.jpg

The drum now meets the tap gasket and works perfectly. In hindsight, buying the right thing would have saved a fair bit of mess :blush:

Thanks for this Matt.

My Lubetech tap did the same so this fix is worth a go.

Hi, is anyone want to sell 5ltrs for me? :)
Because I don't need 25ltr tube.

Type S will want 5w40 IIRC CJ or other petrol owners will know better.

Most people who have gone exol are using dervs and 0w30, ive got some 5w40 but carriage would be silly cost.

IIRC I paid about £65 for 25 litres of 5w40 but could be wrong.

Type S will want 5w40 IIRC CJ or other petrol owners will know better.

Most people who have gone exol are using dervs and 0w30, ive got some 5w40 but carriage would be silly cost.

IIRC I paid about £65 for 25 litres of 5w40 but could be wrong.

thanks for advice :)

Hi Guys

I am confused about oils!

As far as I can see, the consensus view on this thread/forum is that the best engine oil for my Honda Accord (2007 2.2 Litre diesel Ex) appears to be "0w/30" specification oil and users of this forum seem to agree that "EXOL 0w/30" is the cheapest of the best quality engine oils for my car.

My Honda manual recommends:
> Genuine Honda oil, "ACEA A1/B1", "ACEA A3/B3", "ACEA A5/B5"
And it provides a graph that talks about ambient temperature, that appears to say almost nothing useful.

My local garage mechanic tell me that it needs "5W30 low ash oil" whatever that means.

So should it be 5w30 or 0w30? And is the Exol 5w30 a "low ash" oil?
And does it match all the ACEA stuff above?

With thanks

J

POST SCRIPT:
I have just heard back from Tony of LubeTechShop... and here's what he says:
"if your car is fitted with diesel particulate filter its the optima LSH 0w30, if not its the Optima longlife 0w30. if you are not sure go for the LSH. the mechanic who said 5w30 is wrong it has to be 0w30."
My local mechanic says that my car *does* have a particulate filter so I guess I will be buying the Optima LSH 0w30 from Exol.

Think you need a new mechanic dude... no dpf for us.

Strange - I wonder how he got that wrong... So what year did the DPF get added to Honda Accords?

Was the DPF only added in the 8th Generation (i.e. 2008+) ?

Your mechanic is a ***.

Your mechanic is a ***.

lol perhaps a tad harsh if he's guessing at it being a modern Diesel, but then shouldn't be guessing.. ok he's a ***..
:)

looking forward to getting my 8th gen, not looking forward to overpriced oil now being more overpriced due to being low sulpher.. and the tyres are more expensive!
I'm just grumpy that xmas post has delayed things by a week... grrr mutter mutter..

J

If I had an 8th Gen diesel I would be getting a DPF delete as soon as I could.

If I had an 8th Gen diesel I would be getting a DPF delete as soon as I could.

is there a msp / mod for the 8th gen yet?

sorry off topic :)

edit found another post/s about Bosch ecu v18 etc and it's been done... hmmmm

Yes it can be done now, we did one a few weeks back. And these cars run the EDC17 series.

So what happened to lubetech website? I cant get to it? Any other sugestions on places to buy large drums of oil?

Why what's wrong with it?

http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/

So what happened to lubetech website? I cant get to it? Any other sugestions on places to buy large drums of oil?
Hi no problem with the site although i was having internet connection problems everything was going at a snails pace this morning, but all seems ok now

what's the recommendation for 2001 Accord 1.8 Sport Petrol? choice between 2 Fully Synthetic 5w30 Optima LSM and LSV while a third one is 5w40 Vimax FS. Not much price diff between all 3 and think i can take it :)

oh yeah tempted by free del.

Thanks.

Hi Guys, I'm just getting the parts together for my first oil change and read I think all of the threads inc the very good guides on here. I have an original Honda oil filter and have just ordered a filter cover socket (ok pressed steel huge thing). I would like to purchase the Lubetech Optima Vimax 0W/30 (this is the correct oil for 05 iDTCi ?). Before I order it has anyone got any discount codes?
Much appreciated
Jay

I check today about your exol vimax 0w/30 and can't found that they doing vimax 0w/30.Maybe I am wrong.

^Yes, that is the correct one for the 7th gen diesel accord.

update:

I ordered the oil, funnel, jug and pouring spout from Lubetech. Very fast delivery. As previously mentioned by someone on here cut the skirt off of the filler spout or it will not seal and you WILL regret it (thanks for tip). I also purchased a filter socket for £5 ish and a genuine Honda filter with all o rings and aluminium sump plug washer for £12 from the bay.

Simple job to do and enough oil to do nearly 3 more oil changes. If you think about it because you need 2 cans of oil (5 litre each, 4 for castrol) just to do an oil change it is a no brainer to buy 25 litres from Lubetech. Even after I bought the other bits it will all pay for itself in 18 months (doing 6 monthly oil changes).

With all the hints and tips on here it almost feels like I don't have to think for myself any more. Thanks guys

Yep just got some more myself, got 3 to do over weekend. Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Nice one Jason and totally agree, it's an absolute no brainer.

looks like i joined this forum too late. i had mine serviced last week and the garage put in 5w30 oil. will it do much damage or just not run as smoothly? i dont drive like a loon

looks like i joined this forum too late. i had mine serviced last week and the garage put in 5w30 oil. will it do much damage or just not run as smoothly? i dont drive like a loon

Recomendation for ictdi are 0w 30.You can damage your chain.