What's new

REVIEW: Snow Socks

I-S

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
So, snow then....

Given my last review berating the performance of my Goodyear Eagles in cold weather, and their tread design being mostly longitudinal grooves (no bloody use in snow), I ordered a pair of snowsocks on wednesday, as this winter is kicking in early and appears to be kicking in hard. Since we live up in the pennines on a sloped road which isn't gritted or plowed, this didn't seem outrageous expenditure.

Tuesday and Wednesday this week I was working from home, not even attempting to move the car in the eventual 8 inches of settled snow. However, an email received on wednesday night gently suggested that my presence was required in the lab on thursday come hell or high water (in this case frozen and in small flakes), it seemed like thursday I would have to venture out. I dug the car out and drove very slowly and carefully to work. During the day I got a phone call to let me know that the snow socks had arrived and were waiting for me at home. I drove similarly slowly home and got back to the village. I had a go at the hill up to the house but was totally unable to make any progress at all on our road. I turned around and got the car back down again, and came up to get the snowsocks.

First time fitting them took me about 10 minutes. To begin with I was concerned that they were going to come off, but once I had them fully on I gingerly turned the car around and headed back up the hill.

Snow socks are not for driving on tarmac and they're not for driving fast. They're for driving on snow, be it soft and slushy or hardpack, either way. With the snow socks on the car I turned into our road and carried on. Straight up the road to the top. Turned into the alley, backed up, came back down the road, stopped and then reverse parallel parked back up the hill. On snow. Without the slightest bit of drama or difficulty.

These things work.

I left them on the car and headed out to work this morning. Last night the temperatures were a long way negative (lowest I saw on my way to work after 8am this morning was -9C) and it was very icy. I trundled very gently down the hill and the car drifted sideways slightly a couple of times. I got down to the plowed and gritted road, and jumped out to take the socks off. Easier said then done... Any fears I had about them coming off in use were allayed, as I pulled them away from the wheels. It's possible to get them off, of course, but it's not easy.

This evening as I came home, again I tried to get up our road. This time as it had been partly cleared by hand I was able to get into the road. However, as soon as I was on to hardpack I ground to a halt with no hope of restarting. I got out and put the socks on. This time, having had a practice run yesterday and knowing what I did wrong, I was able to get them on the wheels in approx 2 minutes (only falling over once) and then drove straight up the hill, turned around and again parallel parked.

In turning into the top of the road to turn around, I did discover (at very low speed) that they don't really help steering at all. Going down the road this morning they do help braking, but you have to be very careful because only having them on the front wheels means that the rears have much less grip and the car may try to swap ends. Where they REALLY help is in traction - you can pull away up a hill gently in first gear. You can reverse up a hill.

Summary then... not a substitute for winter tyres, but a definite substitute for chains. These will get you up a slope or out of a snowed-in carpark or whatever. Well worth the £50 for me.

Good review and worth the investment then

Excellent review Isaac. We have the same issue in Bradford, we live on a hill and the interior roads are like an ice rink - only the main and through roads are gritted.

Where is the best place to get these snow socks and how many times can they be used?

Good cheap Investment to get you out of a bind IMO- I'm expecting delivery of mine I ordered yesterday probably some time next week hopefully!. went to qwik fit to see about winter tyre previously only to be told out of stock and that the main suppliers are not sending up to Dundee area any time soon, and the cost-£540 fully fitted and that's with a heavy discount of nearly £500- continentals I think.
I struggled to get up our hill twice which is long and gradual with some bendy bits. Not a problem if you keep a good speed to keep up moment but if there's traffic coming down the other way you have to slow down a bit as the roads aren't quite as wide with snow packed up on the verges which means you're forced on to snow, Ice, slush and as you all know you can't plough through that without some detriment to your steering. So, you guess what happens' you lose speed and mainly momentum to carry you through-safely. So if that happens these Autosocks sound like a good alternative for that type of situation.
I have found that stocks are running low or even out off stock especially for 225/45/17 which equates to 645 sock size.
Be interesting to hear opinions/experience on this subject.

Excellent review Isaac. We have the same issue in Bradford, we live on a hill and the interior roads are like an ice rink - only the main and through roads are gritted.

Where is the best place to get these snow socks and how many times can they be used?
Just Google Autosock. you get all the Info and video of there Roofbox supply them and some other outlet.

Excellent review mate, thanks - confirmed nearly all my thoughts other than what they are like on packed ice (or have I missed something?).

Time to start badgering for a club discount methinks ;).

I can confirm everything I-S says about Autosocks, they really do work!
Got mine last Thursday, tried them on packed snow and ice this morning, no problems, just pulled away up our hill. I even tried the bit they do in the promo video where they drive up hill with the handbrake on and it does that too (though I can't quite see the use for that trick)
This also shows that it's worth spending some money on winter tyres, the Accord can be turned into a useful winter vehicle.

My autosocks are still in the car waiting to christened despite buying them several weeks ago. I'm gutted we've not had enough snow yet for me to try them. Despite a quick dump of the white stuff yesterday, there just wasn't quite enough to warrant putting them on - managed to get safely home - PZero Rosso tyres did me proud! Let it snow!!!!!

Safe motoring all

Simon

I bought a set of the Weissock Snowsocks just in time for the worst of the snow in December. They really do work well - drove straight up a steep hill in 3 or 4 inches of snow while all around wheels were spinning :p

I think they were great value and perfect for getting out of a sticky situation *but* I think in the UK they're really only for emergencies. There's not enough consistent snow cover here, the upshot of which is on my commute, one minute you're driving on reasonably clear tarmac, the next on horribly slippy snow.

( ...and you've got to remember the back end can get quite lively :) )

Being lazy I wasn't inclined to put on and take off the snow socks every few miles on a 37 mile A/B road commute, the upshot of which is my snow socks are pretty much worn out now. I'm not complaining - I hold my hands up and admit I used them outside of design spec, but it's something to be aware of. They have done 140-odd miles in mixed conditions!

I'd highly recommend having a set in the boot to get you out of trouble, but for my needs I'll be looking at snow tyres for next year.

Cheaper and more practical than a set of winter tyres then...

Cheaper and more practical than a set of winter tyres then...

Not really. Only designed to get you out of a bind IMO, I'm sure you'll get more than 140 miles out of winter tyres. Also bear in mind that with the last two bad winters that we've had and who's to say that this one's not over yet, we may find that the government make it compulsory for winter tyres in the future, just like our Scandinavian brothers.

Cheers

Good point... I was only thinking of getting under-way - once on main road things a fairly easy going.

we may find that the government make it compulsory for winter tyres in the future, just like our Scandinavian brothers.

Which might just make the winter tyres a bit cheaper... or is that too much to ask?

Which might just make the winter tyres a bit cheaper... or is that too much to ask?

If only that would be true. IMO once an Item becomes a must have, then they've got us all by the short and curlies so that would be the garages and government being able to make even more out of motorists. Maybe they could come up with some Incentive scheme like they did with car scrapping.
One other thing that I've heard rumoured is that Insurance companies won't pay out if they discover that you've not declared that you've got winter tyres on, and-wait for it- they'll put up your premiums for putting them on! even though one is making every effort to be safer. Be Interesting to here if any members have experienced anything like this with their insurance companies. :lol: