What's new

Ride Quality

stevej696

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 SE Exec
Hi guys, I've been pondering of late what people think of the ride quality of the 6th gen? I'm noticing mine is pretty shocking over bumps (01 SE Exec 138k miles). Both rear drop links have been replaced and no suspension advisories noted on last MOT also no bangs etc so I don't think any parts are broken. Just find that as I'm doing more miles at the moment and I dread driving down uneven roads and I'm just noticing the harsh ride more. Tyre pressures are currently as per the handbook 32psi front 30psi rear (or thereabouts). Is it just my car, or do other people find theirs uncomfortable too? I could understand the Sport and Type R being a bit hard riding, but not the Exec model.

Exec should be quite comfortable. What profile tyre are you running as this can have a massive affect on the ride quality. Also what size are the wheels, ***uming they are standard for wheels?

Exec should be quite comfortable. What profile tyre are you running as this can have a massive affect on the ride quality. Also what size are the wheels, ***uming they are standard for wheels?

Hi there, the wheels are the Standard SE Exec alloys with 195/60/15 tyres. A budget brand but plenty of tread left. I wonder if the cheap tyres are adding to the hard ride?

I don't think there is a difference in the suspension setup and tuning of all the models except type R? They are just trim levels aren't they?

Mine feels firm but soaks up most of the road fairly well.

I would wager that even though your suspension doesn't have any problems, at 138k most of the components will have a lot of wear and tear so they won't be as effective as they were when they were younger.

It all depends on the life the car's had. 138K of motorway cruising, it will feel very locked down and tight still. 138K of town driving and while still passing MOTs and not worth an advisory, every rubber component in the suspension will be a bit worn and tired. I bet if you replaced some key bushes in the front and rear, the suspension would feel like butter again.

I don't think there is a difference in the suspension setup and tuning of all the models except type R? They are just trim levels aren't they?

Mine feels firm but soaks up most of the road fairly well.

I would wager that even though your suspension doesn't have any problems, at 138k most of the components will have a lot of wear and tear so they won't be as effective as they were when they were younger.

No they are different. Base models and EXECs run the same springs and dampers, but Sports and Type R's use the same shocks. However the Sports run a softer spring and higher ride height. The Type-V runs a completely bespoke setup, which is incredibly softly damped, great for comfort but they have fairly poor handling compared to other 6G's.

As for me, I don't think I've ever thought of a 6G (ATR or not) as uncomfortable. Even the ATR is perfectly damped for these kind of roads IMO!

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm always amazed by the friendliness and wealth of knowledge on this forum. :) Maybe I'm just being over critical of the car, which like my previous 6th gen has served me pretty well. Out of curiosity, do you guys all run your tyre pressures 32psi front and 30 rear? I inflated mine the other week as they'd gone down a bit presumably with the cold weather. Checked again tonight and they were 33 front and 31 rear although I'm not sure 1psi over on each tyre is enough to affect the ride on bumpy roads.

Nah, I'm on a 7th gen. Meant to be low 30, but I always run about 36-38. Noticeable improvement in mpg and no major difference to handling.

My 6th gen is not the softest, it isn't crashy, but it could be softer, however, I forget the (slightly) harsh ride when I need the car to handle, and it by far makes up for it there.

Mine is on 146k and still feels well.

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm always amazed by the friendliness and wealth of knowledge on this forum. :) Maybe I'm just being over critical of the car, which like my previous 6th gen has served me pretty well. Out of curiosity, do you guys all run your tyre pressures 32psi front and 30 rear? I inflated mine the other week as they'd gone down a bit presumably with the cold weather. Checked again tonight and they were 33 front and 31 rear although I'm not sure 1psi over on each tyre is enough to affect the ride on bumpy roads.

I have a few 6G's, 2 of which are driven. My H22'd 6G is on a non-OEM size of 215/45/16 running Advan Neova AD08's. 35p.s.i at the front and 32p.s.i at the rear seems the optimun balance between grip and the rate at which the tyre wears, as running them at 30p.s.i provides slightly better grip, but the integrity of the sidewall is then compromised meaning the tyre has a tendency to "roll over" onto the sidewall during hard cornering which is not something you want. Upping the pressure by 5p.s.i solves this issue (while actually improving the steering response) albeit at a very slight compromise to the ride quality. As for the rear, anymore than 35p.s.i causes the tyre to have no "flex" as such, meaning that the back end will step out on any surface other than a bone dry road. Great fun on the track, but it can prove unpredictable which is not a characteristic I want in a road car.

My other running 6G is a standard Type-V. It's running 195/60/15 Bridgestone Turanzas (Fantastic wet tyre btw!) which I run at a slighty higher them OEM 34F:33R p.s.i. However, I only done this as Turanzas have a very soft sidewall and so OEM pressures cause the "roll over" affect as above. I'm sure that Turanza XL's would have been a better choice, as a fully loaded Type-V is a big bus weighing in at circa 1430kg!

Oh and just to clarify on my suspension post above, I meant that while Sports and ATR's share the same shocks, they are still different to base/exec and Type-V shocks. It didn't sound right when I re-read it! :)

Edit: And just to add, no you won't notice a difference with 1p.s.i. Always remember though that tyres get hotter the more you abuse them, meaning the pressure inside can build. Even after normal driving, you could find a tyre that had 30psi now has 33 or more depending on how its driven. Checking your fluids and your tyres have fairly similiar "rules". Level surface, let everything cool down and let everything settle.

I genuinely want to try a Type V.

Just to see if I notice any difference from my SE Exec.

I genuinely want to try a Type V.

Just to see if I notice any difference from my SE Exec.

If you ever this side of the pond, I'll happily chuck you the keys to mine! She's on almost 270k miles now but still as tight as a drum!

If you ever this side of the pond, I'll happily chuck you the keys to mine! She's on almost 270k miles now but still as tight as a drum!

Thanks to everyone for the replies :) 270k miles is amazing! My previous car (99 1.8s Accord) reached 202k before I traded it for the current one (now 138k). It was still running well, but needed too many niggly things doing for the M.O.T. Just goes to show what Honda's can achieve!

No they are different. Base models and EXECs run the same springs and dampers, but Sports and Type R's use the same shocks. However the Sports run a softer spring and higher ride height. The Type-V runs a completely bespoke setup, which is incredibly softly damped, great for comfort but they have fairly poor handling compared to other 6G's.

As for me, I don't think I've ever thought of a 6G (ATR or not) as uncomfortable. Even the ATR is perfectly damped for these kind of roads IMO!

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting to know, I'm also now intrigued to try out the Type-V and Sport, I did test drive a Sport before I bought my Exec, but didn't push it notice the suspension setup, although the engine seemed very willing for a 1.8 and dare I say felt faster than my Exec. Quite interested to know what difference the shocks also make if they still run on soft springs, guessing turn in is better with less understeer.

I drive my Accord enthusiastically at times and can't fault the handling, for a big car on standard height the roll is minimal, and the feedback through the steering is great aswell, these cars have the best mix of comfort ride and handling, only other car from that sort of era that is comparable or better is the P11 Primera.

My tyres I run back at 32 and front at 34, 2 more than recommended.