What's new

Roof bars for Tourer without rails

Howslo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Ex 2.0i-vtec
Can anyone recommend roof bars for a 2004 tourer without roof rails? Preferably ones that won't break the bank, but open to any suggestions!

And advise on how to fit them? There is no info in the handbook that I can see.

TIA.

I've had a set of Thule bars for close on 15 years. Bars are original, swapped foot packs with each change of car (luckily all the cars have been a similar width) selling the old ones on eBay to defray the cost.

Thanks.

This may sound like a daft question, but how do they actually attach to the car? In the past I've had cars with mounting points behind the upper door seals, but I can't see anything on the Accord.

There's a wide but thin hook shaped bit that drops down from the bars and sits in the top of the door recess. From memory, I think there's an indented bit where they ideally locate. It's this bit that differs from car to car (the foot pack), and with the Thule system you can just swap that and keep the bars. Not the best picture, but it's one that's handy...

ThuleBars_zpsr3ikgwgu.jpg

Quite a few similar to this in eBay using "Honda Accord Tourer roof bars" (without quotes)

s-l400.jpg

Just to piggy back the thread, with the Roof bars that fit into the door recess, anyone had any damage to the paintwork from this?

My Accord Tourer also doesnt have roof rails (front to back) and doesnt have the holes as pictured by freddofrog.

Looks like the best option.

Currently got a soft rack so I can carry my surfboard but its not ideal and will soon have a little one in the back that once they are old enough can see playing with the strapping....

Dexter101 said:
Just to piggy back the thread, with the Roof bars that fit into the door recess, anyone had any damage to the paintwork from this?

My Accord Tourer also doesnt have roof rails (front to back) and doesnt have the holes as pictured by freddofrog.
I could be wrong (it happpens) but on my Accord, there is a plastic rail that runs from the tail-lift, over the roof and down past the windscreen to the bonnet. The bolt holes and recesses in the image should be under this.

I was looking to ugrade mine with some original fitment rails from a breakers yard up north, they wanted £130 delivered a month ago but I wanted to get the VSA issue fixed first (then the injector problem etc. etc.) so currently it's on hold.

Channel Hopper said:
I could be wrong (it happpens) but on my Accord, there is a plastic rail that runs from the tail-lift, over the roof and down past the windscreen to the bonnet. The bolt holes and recesses in the image should be under this.

I was looking to ugrade mine with some original fitment rails from a breakers yard up north, they wanted £130 delivered a month ago but I wanted to get the VSA issue fixed first (then the injector problem etc. etc.) so currently it's on hold.
Ah cheers dude, well worth having a dig about then! I also was tempted to fit the roof rails but quite fond of the clean lines it currently has and roof bars will only get used a couple of times per year

hmmm I'm not so sure now, just had a look at my car and I don't think the plastic rail/strip is wide enough to cover any fitting recess (if there) ....but you never know :unsure:

Channel Hopper said:
I know I pass another tourer with the bars on the school run so will stop and check.
see if you can get a picture , also check what year it is on the reg

That plastic rail/strip is called "roof molding" in the manual

Note that "roof rail" implies running along the length of the roof, whereas "roof bar" implies running across the roof .

"Roof rail" gets mentioned in facelift years but nothing at all in pre-facelift years, so it seems that there are no fitting points for roof rails or roof bars in the pre-facelift, so those points are only on the facelift.

Thus if you want roof bars for a pre-facelift you'll need to get the type mentioned by Matt

A 'pre' and 'post' facelift explanation might be in order then.

Rails make a lot of sense as far as looks and avoiding paint damage, but not if unrealistic to install on earlier Vin number vehicles.

freddofrog said:
Note that "roof rail" implies running along the length of the roof, whereas "roof bar" implies running across the roof .

"Roof rail" gets mentioned in facelift years but nothing at all in pre-facelift years, so it seems that there are no fitting points for roof rails or roof bars in the pre-facelift, so those points are only on the facelift.
Roof rails were available for the pre-facelift but are a different length and different fixing point to the facelift. The pre-facelift front mounting point is above the front door pillar, the facelift is further forward.

Ned said:
Roof rails were available for the pre-facelift but are a different length and different fixing point to the facelift. The pre-facelift front mounting point is above the front door pillar, the facelift is further forward.
Is that based on personal experience or Honda literature , because there's no mention of roof rails in the 7th gen ESM on 2003/4/5 but there is on 2006/7/8.

Having said that though, anomalies do exist in the ESM e.g. same goes for checking the oil level --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19161-oil-level-rising/?p=245509

^ those are bars that fit onto rails on 8th gen, change it to 7th gen and similar thing

I don't think I ever saw roof rails on a pre-facelift 7th gen

freddofrog said:
Is that based on personal experience or Honda literature ,
Personal experience Brian. I have an 05 pre-facelift tourer with roof rails.

Ned said:
Personal experience Brian. I have an 05 pre-facelift tourer with roof rails.
IIRC yours is a CM1 exec, other than difference in engine bore and stroke and gearbox, whole car is virtually identical to my CM2 exec. I bought my car in 2006 from a dealer , previous owner was a Honda manager at Slough, and I'm sure that roof rails were not factory fitted back then (because I only started to see roof rails appearing when the facelift came out) . Any idea who fitted the rails to your car and when ?

For the OP or anyone else, it seems that finding roof bars that utilise existing roof fittings could be a can of worms if roof rails are not fitted.

I haven't got a clue who fitted them Brian. Apparently the car was in the same family from new with more than one owner. I have seen them two other pre-facelifts but they are as rear as gold fish pee. 3 of the end trims were missing on mine but Honda want £100 + for one !!!. When I complained to my local Honda dealer about the price they want for one little bit of plastic, his response was "that's why they get stolen" A search on ebay showed I could buy complete pair of rails for £50 but they were all the longer version for the facelifts.

I finally got round to spotting all the Accord Tourers in the vicinity

03 - no roof rails
05 - no roof rails
07 - roof rails

Based on the aboove I doubt I will be looking through the breaker listings for an original set, unless somebody else has peeled off the plastic covers on their 05 or earlier, or managed to cut and weld an OEM set for the later version and managed to fit them.

Channel Hopper said:
, or managed to cut and weld an OEM set for the later version and managed to fit them.
I can't enlarge the exploded parts drawing so It's not easy to see, but it looks as though the rail would only need shortening - no welding needed.

I may now need a set of bars, the current workload means longer ladders, ones that wont fit inside

No rails on my tourer, so it will have to be strap ons unless somebody knows better.

What is 'architectural grade' aluminium though ?

Is your car / ex-car fitted with them as standard, or like Neds above, an accessory for the earlier version without rails ?

mine are factory fitted so if i take them off i will need the roof trims from a car without rails or i will be left with gaps in my trims