What's new

Rust repair needed

MedicalFlyer

Members
Reaction score
Car
2000 Accord Saloon
Evening all

When I got my Accord last October I knew there was a minor bit of rust on the bottom of the driver's side rear door. I thought nothing of it as it was very minor. I had a look the other day while giving the car a bit of a check over before the MOT comes round and it seems it's a little worse than I thought.

There's a good inch or so of bubbling surface rust all along the bottom of the door. It's not serious but I'd like to get it sorted sooner rather than later. It's actually quite hard to see until you get down a look carefully at the panel and given a good tap sounds nice and solid still.

Any ideas on how much this would cost to have this sorted out?
Also any recommendations of decent places around Croydon would be helpful.

I'll probably see about having some other minor scratches dealt with too while I'm at it but my main concern is the door.

Usually they would have to repaint the whole door so you would be looking at roughly ~£150-180

That's not bad. would certainly be worth seeing about the other minor bits at the same time then and maybe seeing if the swirling in the rest of the paint can be dealt with too.

MedicalFlyer said:
That's not bad. would certainly be worth seeing about the other minor bits at the same time then and maybe seeing if the swirling in the rest of the paint can be dealt with too.
Or get a replacement door? I have a breakers yard with over 20 accords in all colours available about 10 mins from my house.

jsmith89 said:
Or get a replacement door? I have a breakers yard with over 20 accords in all colours available about 10 mins from my house.
Hm, do they have 7th gen too?

jsmith89 said:
That may be an option, but my car's Pirate's Black which isn't a common colour. In fact I don't think I've seen another one and I've driven a good few at work.

Living around my way mate you'll see a mk6 Accord every 200yards. There were 2 black ones in the breaker yard last time I went.

Depending how bad it is, it will be much cheaper to get a replacement door, in the same colour if possible.

A good garage will charge easily about £200 minimum.