What's new

Sat Nav/AC/Info system

StuH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Superb Estate 3.6 V6
The Sat Nav and attached functions on my newly acquired 2.4 Executive has decided to go on the blink. Everything has been working fine until I went out earlier and it went. First thing to happen was just a 'Honda Navigation' screen with none of the buttons working, now even that screen has gone. The only buttons that do work on the unit are the TA and FM buttons. Of course the warranty is limited to mechanical items. Any ideas please?

The Sat Nav and attached functions on my newly acquired 2.4 Executive has decided to go on the blink. Everything has been working fine until I went out earlier and it went. First thing to happen was just a 'Honda Navigation' screen with none of the buttons working, now even that screen has gone. The only buttons that do work on the unit are the TA and FM buttons. Of course the warranty is limited to mechanical items. Any ideas please?
What year is your car will help to determine the type of sat nav you have.
A long shot but its possibly your DVD is it an original or a copy.

What year is your car will help to determine the type of sat nav you have.
A long shot but its possibly your DVD is it an original or a copy.

It's an '03. The DVD looks original. It's not just the Sat Nav though it's the A/C etc, not tried a CD though.

possible a fuse has gone? does the rest off the heater work on the buttons below the screen?

Stuart it might be worth disconnecting the negative on the battery for a couple of min and see if the system resets itself.
But see what other members say 1st :)

Stuart it might be worth disconnecting the negative on the battery for a couple of min and see if the system resets itself.
But see what other members say 1st :)

The battery was actually flat when I went for the test drive yesterday, it had to be boosted to unlock and boosted to start, it seems okay now though. I wonder if that's done something? disconnecting the negative could clear the system?

The battery was actually flat when I went for the test drive yesterday, it had to be boosted to unlock and boosted to start, it seems okay now though. I wonder if that's done something? disconnecting the negative could clear the system?
Stuart mate this does sound to be the problem i no some cars if the battery goes flat it can cause problems.Its worth a try also is the battery ok if not i would recommend a new one.

Might sound silly but have you tried the screen brightness setting button?

Might sound silly but have you tried the screen brightness setting button?
Thats a damn good answer Paul i had this the1st week with my car.You nether no :lol:

First rule of plumbing.... Is it turned on :lol:

Stuart,

Are you saying that now when you now start the car the Honda navigation screen does not come on at all, i.e no warning message no "OK" button to press on the screen?

Stuart,

Are you saying that now when you now start the car the Honda navigation screen does not come on at all, i.e no warning message no "OK" button to press on the screen?

Yep, not been out this morning but presuming it's the same.

Well it's been fine all day, just stopped off for a few minutes, turned back on and it's gone off again, very much an intermittent fault.

Well it's been fine all day, just stopped off for a few minutes, turned back on and it's gone off again, very much an intermittent fault.

Presumably a loose connection then somewhere, or is the screen getting hot?

Presumably a loose connection then somewhere, or is the screen getting hot?

Not sure but I have found a very probable cause; when I use the tailgate the Sat Nav wont work and to compound problems the tailgate opens fine, closes fine and the opens itself unless I start the car and turn off again! Seems like I have an issue with the boot causing some electrical gremlins, not sure how to proceed though?

So, it went to the garage this morning and put on the diagnostic - showed nothing, he got it all working on just the ignition but as soon as the engine was started it all died. They don't have a clue and could be many hours work, they even phoned Honda and they'd never heard of the problem. Their advice is to throw it back at the dealer because this could be very very expensive.

Hi Stuart, I wonder if this could be an earthing problem. It might explain why somethings are working and some aren't. I've never taken the sat nav unit out of my Accord but I know many electrical components share the same earthing points. If yours is loose, it could explain why various things work one minute and not the next.

If you're handy with the spanners there's a great guide here to help remove the sat nav unit (http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord). Get the unit out and test the power leads to the connector with a multimeter; this should tell you if it's a problem with the unit itself or the wiring/earthing.

Hi Stuart, I wonder if this could be an earthing problem. It might explain why somethings are working and some aren't. I've never taken the sat nav unit out of my Accord but I know many electrical components share the same earthing points. If yours is loose, it could explain why various things work one minute and not the next.

If you're handy with the spanners there's a great guide here to help remove the sat nav unit (http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord). Get the unit out and test the power leads to the connector with a multimeter; this should tell you if it's a problem with the unit itself or the wiring/earthing.

Thanks for the reply, the guide is excellent and could well be needed. The earthing has been mentioned so it's worth looking at. I have found more owners who have had this problem, the most common cause seems to be with the dvd drive however I can't understand why the system will work on ignition only and not when the engine is running.

RIGHT, total day of negativity, no help, garage I bought it from proving to be as slippy as a slippy thing slipping away, everybody telling me to go elsewhere as they don't have the expertise. I did receive an email from another owner with the same problem, he pointed out that if you quickly turn the engine on, i.e no hesitation, key in and engine on it'll work - would you believe it, it does. So just to complicate matters even further the status is as follows; turn the ignition to position one and the unit works but turn it to two or turn the engine on and it shuts off. Immediately turn the engine on and it works BUT turn the engine off and on again straight away and it wont work - you need to leave it a few minutes before it'll work again. This is bizarre, I don't believe it's the unit (neither do Alpine who I contacted) I can only think something like a relay is sticking??

Like you say in position 1 you can operate the sat nav, then when you start the car the sat nav will re-boot (I.e that is what normally happens)

I'm not sure of the ignition circuitry but could it be something to do with the ignition barrel, does it feel tight or overly loose or restricted in any way?

Like you say in position 1 you can operate the sat nav, then when you start the car the sat nav will re-boot (I.e that is what normally happens)

I'm not sure of the ignition circuitry but could it be something to do with the ignition barrel, does it feel tight or overly loose or restricted in any way?

It's booked in at the garage tomorrow for a full service, I had a chat with the guy who had a look at it initially and mentioned your suggestion of the barrel. He seems to think it could well be the culprit, he's pricing up a new ignition switch and will give me an hour after the service tomorrow to strip the cowling and meter the points. He did say it can only really be that or a voltage drop across the ignition switch. Anyway, I kind of hope it is the switch! Fingers crossed something is found!

It's booked in at the garage tomorrow for a full service, I had a chat with the guy who had a look at it initially and mentioned your suggestion of the barrel. He seems to think it could well be the culprit, he's pricing up a new ignition switch and will give me an hour after the service tomorrow to strip the cowling and meter the points. He did say it can only really be that or a voltage drop across the ignition switch. Anyway, I kind of hope it is the switch! Fingers crossed something is found!

Good luck for tomorrow

Good luck for tomorrow

Well the car has had a full service (with Honda parts) and a new set of pads on the rear. The plugs were 'stuffed' apparently so hopefully the engine should be even sweeter with the new set. The car got a clean bill of health apart from the screen issue. As it stands, moving between Aux and Ignition results in a 12v drop, this results in the unit not re-booting, this is 'promising' as it could well prove the switch is faulty but it's not 100% certain. They're pricing up a new switch from Honda so we'll see...

Well the car has had a full service (with Honda parts) and a new set of pads on the rear. The plugs were 'stuffed' apparently so hopefully the engine should be even sweeter with the new set. The car got a clean bill of health apart from the screen issue. As it stands, moving between Aux and Ignition results in a 12v drop, this results in the unit not re-booting, this is 'promising' as it could well prove the switch is faulty but it's not 100% certain. They're pricing up a new switch from Honda so we'll see...

Well sounds promising, not sure on the exact setup of the switch used, but could be a worn contact due to previous owner being a bit heavy handed.

Stuart don't know if this will help but here is my two pence worth...
I had the entire unit out of mine the other day to fit an x-car link ipod adapter. As I did this, I noticed that all earth connections for what looks like the entire dash board sit just behind the DVD drive. This makes it quite easy to find earth connections I suppose and would be worth checking to see if the connecions are loose. I feel your pain as electrical gremlins are often the worst to sort and find! Could be worse, you could own a renault! :unsure:

It does sound like the unit is faulty, but a volt meter on the power 'IN' is need to diagnose fore sure, (has no one done this yet?).

If it is the unit It should cope fine with any power interruption like when turning the engine on. Apart from getting it fixed there are two 'user' mods you could make that seem like they would fix it, put a delay circuit in the power feed to it, a 5 second delay would have it working from what you describe. Give it a feed of power that doesn't get interrupted when turning the engine on, ask your auto electrician if he can do this, if he's old school he will know how.

The unit has not been out so no tests done on the actual unit, if I had more time I'd have it out and have a check over with the multimeter but I don't. The garage has tested across the ignition switch and found the voltage drop, they've gone no further as it's £50 per hour and I've spent enough over the last few weeks. It would be great if it worked properly but as long as I don't hesitate when starting the car it's fine, I also need to leave it a few minutes after I turn the ignition off before switching back on again to make it work.