What's new

Sat Nav DVD player

PDR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord DTec 2.2 Este
8th Gen Accord este 2.2 diesel, 2011 manual, UK

It looks like the DVD player in the sat nav has failed. After a year of "disk read error" on damp days that I could fix by taking the disk out and putting it back again, I now get a "no disk" error (or something like that) and the DVD player shows no power light - it won't even eject the disk. Honda have (of course) suggested that this will cost more than they wrote on the side of that brexit bus to fix because, well they do that for everything as a matter of policy.

So I gather that it's actually an Alpine system, and I can take the actual DVD player unit and sent it to the Alpine service agent (dtronix) who will charge me somewhere between £250 and £350 if they can fix it, and £40ish if they can't. While this is probably ALSO a rip off as the drive is almost certainly a commodity DVD drive costing a fraction of this (ifg only I could establish which ones were compatible) I suspect this is the option I'll be using.

Which leads to the question - how do I remove the drive? Is it something that can be described, or am I going to have to buy a haynes manual or similar? All the data I can find on-line points to the 7th Gen system where the DVD player is behind the dashboard, but in this model it's in the boot and I can't see any screws!

All advice appreciated...

PDR

Have a read through the thread Matt pointed you to. If it’s the same or similar unit to the 7th gen, it’s quite easy and cheap to change the whole internal unit, readily available on ali express.

Thanks for that - jolly useful. So how do I get the unit out? Is it just a matter of sliding palette knives down the sides, do I have to remove the boot lining, or what?

PDR

Take the grey carpet out of the underfloor cubby, its held in by 4 fir tree plugs, the dvd player is accessible from above, the black folding hatch cover is held in by 2 fir tree connectors just behind the rear seat

Brilliant, thanks Bounder - that's exactly what I needed to know.

I've now got back home (I'm usually up in the north west during the week and don't fly home again until the weekend) and went to take the drive out as suggested. After hunting around in my workshop I finally found my fir-tree remover and only head-scratched briefly working out how to lift the panel above the DVD player. It was then a simple matter of getting a bent-head posidriver down between the DVD player unit and the audio amp to remove the mounting screws.

Or at least it would have been, had I not glanced to one side and seen the map DVD lying next to the power amp! Somehow the unit had ejected the disk behind the boot lining, which I guess was why the system was reporting "no disk", and probably why it wouldn't eject it either (DUH!!!)...

I put the disk back in the drive and it loaded normally, so it looks like I'm back where I was and don't need to replace anything for a while, which is definitely my preferred repair price.

Anyway - I'm typing all this blather to say "thanks" and to let people know that these units can spit their disks into the void under the boot lining in case anyone else suffered the same symptoms.

Thanks again,

PDR

Gotta love the simplest fixes in life

Yep. Once every thousand years the devil forgets to vomit in my porridge bowl. I'll enjoy this brief victory before he remembers again!

PDR

PDR said:
Yep. Once every thousand years the devil forgets to vomit in my porridge bowl. I'll enjoy this brief victory before he remembers again!

PDR
:lol: :lol: :lol: What a great phrase! I'm so stealing this to use in the future