What's new

sat nav goes off when i turn the key

FrenchHonda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EXE 2.4
Hello everyone!

I have bought an 2.4 Accord from 2003 with sat nav. It' s a really good car but I have some issues with the screen.

I've been around many french forums without any luck. There just aren't so many accords in France. I have also searched this forum without any luck neither.

Here is my problem:

When I turn the key, the screen goes on. Everything is working. I can use the GPS, the radio, the heater, etc.

However, when the key a little further to start the engine, the screen goes blank. the radio, the heater still work, but the screen is dark...

I have tried to clean the lens of the DVD player but it hasn't changed anything.

Does anyone have any clue?

Your help would be much much much appreciated!

Ps: Excuse my french English. I used to speak it much better back in the days!

FrenchHonda said:
However, when the key a little further to start the engine, the screen goes blank. the radio, the heater still work, but the screen is dark...
Some words vanished in this sentence.

I meant: "However, when I TURN the key a little further to start the engine, the screen goes blank. the radio, the heater still work, but the screen is dark... "

I'm not sure how much further you are turning the key, are you turning it all the way to the engine start position ?

When you turm the key to position 1, yes the satnav starts up, but when you then turn the key far enough to start the engine, the power to the satnav is cut, and the satnav restarts when you let the key go back after the engine has started.

If that all works ok then there isn't a problem.

Well, the sat nav should indeed restart when I turn the key far enough to start the engine, but it doesn't.

When I am in position 1, the sat nat goes on normaly. Then, when I turn the key a little more, the screen goes blank. Then it stays blank. Sometimes, when I drive for a while, it suddently starts to work again. But it's quite rare. Most of the time, it just doesn't work.

Thank you very much for your help!

Are these diagrams representing wires inside of the car or inside the GPS system ?

they are the entire electrical system in the car, I'll have a look through them and see if I can find out why that is happening

this diagram (#25) shows the satnav

click the image to make it full size
(or click on this link instead which should open a tab with a zoom facility http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i025.jpg~original )

SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i025.jpg

try putting a route into the satnav before starting the engine, then listen if the route is audible after the engine is started

also, what happens if you press the A/C or the Audio button, or the Menu button or the Moon (brightness) button ?

depending on those tests, the only thing I can think of is a dodgy earth on the display unit (G503 in the diagram) or maybe fuse 32 in the under-dash fusebox is loose or a connector on the back of the display unt

I had the same problem on my last Accord. It's a problem with the power supply in the DVD Rom. The only way I cured it was to replace the ROM I'm afraid.

thank you very much for your answers. I am considering sending the whole unit to Maple Audio in Bath UK. I have heard that they were good at repairing this systems...

freddofrog said:
I would get a quote from them, it could be a lot of money
Yes, it might cost around £200...

This is what my car will look like for 10 days:

FWyohYv.jpg

I'll post some news here as soon as I get it back !

Hi, maybe it's already late, maybe stupid as well, but have you tried illumination settings in the menu? If it works fine when you turn the key to position 1, then it should work the same when you start the engine.
Have you also tried reinserting the disc?

Yes Crown bg, I have tried all that. Thank you for you advice. In fact, I have almost everything! Now I just hope it comes from the power supply of the DVD player as Stuh said earlier in this thread.

The whole gps unit is now in bath so figers crossed!

I've had a similar problem since buying my car approx 9 years ago. My fault totally knocks out the panel (radio controls, heater and Satnav too).

However, if I start the car straight away i.e. I don't leave the key at position 1 it all works fine every time.

Not much good if you just want to listen to the radio with the engine off though :(

At the time of purchase I rang JT Hughes (Shropshire) who used to service the car and they reckoned they'd seen the same fault on several Accords. They also charged £200 (well that was the price 9 years ago - but that included taking the screen out and refitting it).

Apparently it's a diode somewhere in the back of the screen.

Sorry for being a bit late in replying to your original post but hopefully this post might help others suffering with the same problem.

Hope you manage to get it fixed :)

Tony

Thank you for your reply! It's never too late as this could be used by others who may encounter this problem.

Tonyh said:
My fault totally knocks out the panel (radio controls, heater and Satnav too).
I don't get this sentence (me french, excusez-moi :))

Did you manage to get it fixed in the end?

When I bought my Accord. If I turned the key one click to engage the electronics, the satnav would switch on. When I turned it further to start the engine, the satnav would go blank as if the screen was dead.

My local Honda removed the whole centre unit, sent it away to someone they use to repair these and then refit it when it came back. Total cost was around the £250 mark. Apparently it was the lens that was at fault. I don't know what, but it got replaced and then it worked. It's been fine every since. A while back I kept getting disc read errors, so I took the disc drive out and cleaned the lens. It's been fine since then.

It's fixed! And I am super glad!

Mapple audio changed some "internal semi conductors" for £268. All in all, it took 2 weeks.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP BRITISH PEOPLE FROM TYPE ACCORD UK!

Mods: You may tag this thread as [FIXED]

Just bought an Exec Tourer that does exactly this. Might try to clean the lens like i did in my Facelift CL9

Cleaning the laser wont fix it, it's another problem with the DVD unit, I managed to get a DVD unit, head unit and all the extras on e-bay for £70 (bargain of the year), changed the DVD unit and bingo it all works as it should.

There was a workaround I found, if you put the key in the ignition and start the car straight away (no hesitation) the unit worked as it should, the slightest hesitation in turning it and the screen would go off.

Right, so no priming the fuel pump and starting the engine right away. Might have to live with that for a while, got enough cars as it is, lol!