What's new

SEL RESET Button

jimlington

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 EX Diesel Auto
Hi all.

Bit of a weird one. I recently had some work done, fitting a new air con condensor. Not sure if its connected but my SEL RESET button on the steering wheel doesnt work anymore. The up and down arrows are fine but I cant toggle between TRIP A or TRIP B and cant reset the trip computer anymore. Driving me slightly mad.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

my first though is that steering wheels spiral/clock spring cable is broken.

***uming that other buttons working - hands free, voice command, cruise control BUT sel reset button.
The only explanation is spiral cable, clock spring is broken. It has about 18 contacts for all the buttons on steering wheel, i sugguest you to try to connect and disconnect it, just to make sure.
Not an super expensive part, you can buy aftermarket for about 20euros, or original, from scrap yard for about ~60euros

1602826385591.png1602826412171.png

Could just be some sort of a software glitch in the cluster. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour?

Thanks F6had. Good idea, Its seems a coincidence that the fault occured after having work done and I ***ume they disconnected battery at the time.
Will give it a go!

If you had the work done then I would check with the garage before trying anything yourself, just in case 'the claimed faults were something outside their control and could not possibly have been down to their workmanship'.

Clock springs are not particularly expensive, but their fitting can be if you need to take it - back - to a garage if/when the fault does not clear.

i have had experience. I tried to take steering wheel of for third time (refinishing the leather, making steering wheel thicker), and for the third time forgot to disconnect clock spring off steering wheel, i janked steering wheel with all the clock spring, and those spaghetti like wires all over the front seat and me :D

i had a bad day.

in addition to this, i am attaching some photos, if intrested:
c2b5f1b09d07975d8640a133c6555797.jpg

0d31b66fbadf35c383e63f7ce528bfdd.jpg

639c2d5fe9a4e74969c86dac88ca6615.jpg

old wheel:
605e3de2b17e21e62ea6db6a47635683.jpg

574c6cf98ab7c28fba9ea4788472ba6e.jpg

Wow. That new steering wheel looks brilliant.

Thanks for the pictures. They would have helped a lot I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and that didnt sort it, then I tried spraying compressed air on the button and it must have cleared some dust etc and it worked!

Here is something strange... Had some work done on the car again which involved dosconnecting the battery overnight. The SEL/RESET button has stopped working again like last time that the battery was disconnected!

Cant be a coincidence that its stopped working both times the battery was disconnected or could it?

Perhaps the ECU has to do its relearning before the button works again??

Certainly done my head in either way.

Hi everyone. I've signed up to the forum just so I could help out a fellow owner.

There is a very quick fix to this. Just press the little black knob on next to your fuel meter, the one with which you can adjust the brightness of the dash. That will switch your trip meter the same as the SEL/RESET button does on the steering wheel.

And once you press it, the button on the steering wheel will start functioning again ;)

Hope that helps!

Here is something strange... Had some work done on the car again which involved dosconnecting the battery overnight. The SEL/RESET button has stopped working again like last time that the battery was disconnected!

Cant be a coincidence that its stopped working both times the battery was disconnected or could it?

Perhaps the ECU has to do its relearning before the button works again??

Certainly done my head in either way.

Hi everyone. I've signed up to the forum just so I could help out a fellow owner.

There is a very quick fix to this. Just press the little black knob on next to your fuel meter, the one with which you can adjust the brightness of the dash. That will switch your trip meter the same as the SEL/RESET button does on the steering wheel.

And once you press it, the button on the steering wheel will start functioning again ;)

Hope that helps!
that's simply amazing it worked!! Thank you so very much it had been deriving me mad. You're a legend.