What's new

Service indicator

JLPK

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Got my 8th gen in January with 9500 miles on the clock. It had been serviced a couple of weeks previously so I reset the service indicator, as it had not been reset. Here's the best bit, car has no done 13700 miles and the service indicator says I have only 3400 miles until it needs a service. So that is suggesting a service interval of about 7600 miles at best! There is no way i'm having it serviced that often. Can I turn off the service indicator and follow the 12500 miles 12 months schedule? If so how do you turn it off? I can't understand why it has counted down so quickly, I drive economically, i have an average of 45.7 mpg since january on my 2 litre petrol so you can see i'm not driving the car hard at all.

Yes you can but only main dealers can do this.
Iv had my 8th gen now 2 years and I'm going back to the normal service interval.
Dealers should do this free of charge

Really? Do you think they will actually do that for free? Are they obliged to do it free or is it just something you've come across?

Just ignore the service reminder and keep resetting it. Once its turned off you cant get it back on. I went to Honda about mine on Tuesday as my car said it needed a new fuel filter and brake fluid. Honda checked on their system and said it didnt need doing as theyd already done the big service so happy days.

Really? Do you think they will actually do that for free? Are they obliged to do it free or is it just something you've come across?
If you start a normal service schedule with a dealers they will normally switch this of for free.
But as Racy said once if off its not possible to have it out back on.

Ah but i'm not wanting to have it serviced until it's covered 12.5k, the service indicator will have gone very negative by then! Can I just ignore the service indicator and follow the 12.5k/12 month schedule without invalidating my warranty?

I'm sure if you have a talk with your dealers they will do this for free.
I'm sure it was a Honda policy to give there customers the choice to do this.
If they say no give Honda uk a call and ask the question.
I find then very helpful on matters like this

Ah but i'm not wanting to have it serviced until it's covered 12.5k, the service indicator will have gone very negative by then! Can I just ignore the service indicator and follow the 12.5k/12 month schedule without invalidating my warranty?

Yes. Thats what I am doing. Your service book has the option to be stamped according to its mileage or SvRS so there is no problem. Instead of driving round with a warning light, I am just resetting the service reminder as instructed by Honda.

I've never tried, but I can probably reset this with my HDS. Bring it over some time, I don't mind taking a look.

I've just had a live chat with a guy on the Honda UK web site. I asked him if i could just ignore the service reminder system and get the car serviced according to the 12500 miles/12 month schedule without invalidating my Honda approved used car warranty. He confirmed that this would not invalidate my warranty. Needless to say I have taken screen shots of the whole conversation as evidence just in case I need it in the future! I'm quite happy with this information as it has come direct from Honda.

To reset the service reminder you just put the ignition on and hold reset or info for 10 seconds. To turn it off completely I guess you need honda software.

I've just had a live chat with a guy on the Honda UK web site. I asked him if i could just ignore the service reminder system and get the car serviced according to the 12500 miles/12 month schedule without invalidating my Honda approved used car warranty. He confirmed that this would not invalidate my warranty. Needless to say I have taken screen shots of the whole conversation as evidence just in case I need it in the future! I'm quite happy with this information as it has come direct from Honda.
I would do this then as Honda said.Then when you go for your 12.5k service the dealers will disconnect the SRS.I wouldn't reset each SRS as this will show up on your ECU and Honda might get funny about this.
You only reset the system if the service has been done.