What's new

Should i get a 2.4 Executive?

fungist

Members
Reaction score
Car
None at the moment
Hi i ended up having some trouble here, first i posted this on a US forum having no clue that it was called Acura TSX.
Finally found this forum and copying my post here for some guidance:

Hello. Sorry for showing up from nowhere bombarding with questions answered elsewhere, but i also
dont really know or understand which car im actually getting so i base my questions on that aswell.

Because after doing research i found out these cars were available with 160(something) HP and 180HP?

The one im looking at was 190Hp so im a bit confused here.

So Im actually a Nissan dude, i love nissans, but the european market for nissan is pretty limited and boring,
and right now i cant afford any Z's or SX's.

i know asking if i should buy a honda on a honda enthusiast forum is pretty much an obvious yes,
but i need some honesty here.

My current car broke 6 months ago due to rust.
I spendt 7 years with it and for my next car i must choose very carefully as i fell in love with
my cars and will drive them till they die.

I'm looking at two cars, a Impreza WRX 217hp and a 2.4 accord 190hp.
The accord are Automatic (which i dont really like).
Third option would be a 2.0 accord sport 156hp which IS manual.

If i pick the subaru, i will have AWD, manual, most horsepower, but little luxury.
I pick the executive i will have a FWD, less power, automatic but alot more luxury
(i do like long trips, but i also like responsive and quick sedans)
If i pick the 2.0 sport i dont know what's the point, please tell me.

This is probably the hardest choise, and i need some help here.

Whatever car i get i will put a high capacity alternator on it which are going to suck some
power from the engine, I need to compensate this with some slight tuning and wounder which
honda engine of those will yield best results from a simple remap or chip?

I was actually looking for something in the 200hp range.
it would be very intresting for me to have a 20-40hp increase with very simple and "stealthy" mods.
the 2.4 is close, but automatic, it also has 62k miles/100k km's, which is nice.
Other cars are usually higher.

please help.

EDIT: as i understood the 2.4 engine is K-serie? i read some types in the serie were very good tuners, where other
types were eco engines. I dont even know which engine it is:/
were talking bout 2005 Sedans.

Nice car, but its automatic.
My old car im use to "feel" the powerband clearly, and it was only 150hp, it was a SR20DE engine and its gives amazing feedback
to the driver. It always talks to me. Im a bit afraid that the accord engine with an automatic wont feel the same, i read somewhere even after remap,
users didnt feel the powerband/vtec.

Hi thanks. The manual is not available used anywhere at the moment. and im not sure how long i would
wait for a new car.
The auto is the only availagle now.
For the 2.0 sport, there is manual, but its not in the power range im looking for.

Plus one get a 2.4 manual bud. I had a couple of imprezas in the past and they are loud,brash and probably not as reliable as the accord.

They are however ALOT more fun than the accord and you'll never get the accord as quick even with large amounts of tuning.

What you will get with the accord is a reliable and mostly comfortable motor that will last along time with the correct servicing but will feel quite slow compared to imprezas, z cars and the like

Also be prepared to spend big money to gain anything like 40hp. A decent exhaust, manifold and intake plus littlebo remap will probably take you to the 205 - 210 range (correct me if I'm wrong here people)
I looked into the supercharging route but proved too expensive when factoring brakes/suspension plus all the other kit needed.

Thnx for the info. Im in scandinavia, norway. only 4 available here, all aut.
Need a car urget, but want something that kicks a bit but also makes me feel "at home"
The aut is probably even slower than the manual.

You can get 230 ish bhp
With
Reflash
Header
06 on tsx tb and camshaft
Intake

If your going to change the clutch and you can get an ep3 gearbox cheap.swap 1-5 and fd.it will go very well

Get MT

Borrow a car until you find the right car for you

Andyjdmteg said:
Plus one get a 2.4 manual bud. I had a couple of imprezas in the past and they are loud,brash and probably not as reliable as the accord.

They are however ALOT more fun than the accord and you'll never get the accord as quick even with large amounts of tuning.

What you will get with the accord is a reliable and mostly comfortable motor that will last along time with the correct servicing but will feel quite slow compared to imprezas, z cars and the like
Ofc they would be lots of fun, but isnt the accord even close? i didnt mean the STI version with over 260hp,
i meant the cheaper wrx 2000 gt version, its a little bit higher in price than the accord i saw, little bit more on the clock too, its 217hk.
I think i saw a stock comparement on youtube 0-100 with those, and the accord wasnt that far behind, but the 4wd system ofc had the impreza rocket off the startline.

ukcl9 said:
You can get 230 ish bhp
With
Reflash
Header
06 on tsx tb and camshaft
Intake

If your going to change the clutch and you can get an ep3 gearbox cheap.swap 1-5 and fd.it will go very well

Get MT

Borrow a car until you find the right car for you
Yes, driving an Avensis diesel right now. Its such a peugeot:) I will be very very very happy to give it back soon....
I was thinking about manual conversion, but thats also gonna add quite alot to the price. I dont have any chance on doing it myself,
so it would be real costy, so in the end not worth it. I really doubt there will come manual 2.4 executive any soon. these are so rare over here, i actually never seen any for sale.
Now i just cant decide, and barely wait too.
There is a 2.2i Type-R accord 1999 for sale though, it does have 150k KM's on the clock and also 17k eur. not sure if worth it, seems too pricey for me, and the Impreza i was looking at was in the same price.

4th gen (2003-2010) 3.0 Subaru Legacy 245hp, luxury and performance. Even better if you get a 6-speed manual spec B model.
Panel filter, pipe and a remap took mine to 273hp and 256 ft lb. Flat 6 motor sounds epic.
0-60 in 6, 162mph (GPS)
Mine was faultless. Did 75k miles in it (51k to 126k) averaged 25mpg.

Or get the 2.0 Twinscroll version. 280hp, (4-cyl)

If you're on a tighter budget, a 3rd gen 2.0TT legacy is a great buy. 280hp stock, 330 with a couple of mods.

Sorry Honda guys, the subarus are more reliable, and far, far better to drive, and the 4th Gen legacy's actually nicer inside than a 7th gen accord.

The redeeming feature of the accord is that the diesel's a cracking motor.

As an owner of K24 manual, I would also recommend to get a manual. The vtec powerband is way too small 6000-7200rpm (on stock ECU, with reflash is much much MUCH better 4500-7500). The overall build quality is better than Subaru, the plastic and other interior stuff seem more durable, but the real killer of this car is gear ratios, crazy long gears. No offence to anybody on this forum, but the 190hp rating of this engine is slightly misleading. The car handles very nice, compared to other cars in the same class, but it's not even close to the turn-in of Impreza GT.
If you are interested in more spirited driving (without modifying the Accord) I would recommend searching for a nice Legacy Spec B, which is very similar in size, interior, etc. to the Accord, but is 4x4, of course.

cheers,
Alex

Ok great stuff.
I recently received a message from the seller that he would cut off 500eur off the car because some sensors in the rear was faulty.
Still an auto though.. but i mean, can it be remapped? wouldnt it be decent then?
check this out: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/honda-accord-24-i-vtec-ex-1365933.html
This is actually quite bad. I dont know if thats the manual or automatic, but 0-60 in 9.5 sec isnt good.
My P11GT did it in 8.5 sec stock and its 40hp less, but also 100kg lighter...

Its not possible for me right now to get an manual.

Also those special legacy, and newer subaru's are not listed anywhere here.
The Newer subaru is though, but they are way overpriced because of their iconic status, and most of them are owned by kids which did god knows what to their cars.
also the subaru marked is limited too.
I find plenty of 95-00 GT's with 217hp, then a few STI's with 260+ hp. Also the new ones but they are very very expensive.

Its a very limited market over here. But i just sendt someone a PM about a 200sx with 160k km's. Was boosted to 320hp, not sure if i would like cars tuned, if not done by myself in the first place.

If the Type-R accord i spotted was 5k cheaper i would buy it.

EDIT: The SpecB legacy looks awesome.

EDIT 2:

Okay i have done some research now on the accords.

The 2.4 is a K24A3.
The 2.0 is a K20A3.
The 2.0 one is manual, also seem to be easier to mod?

It's way harder to get gains from the 2.0 then the 2.4

And it's a shame the subaru interiors look like a restinghome for old people. Really turns me of on the brand. Only the last model of legacy loons a bit decent and luxurious

My old S14 200SX (before people smashed them up drifting them over here) had the best driving position ever.
320 is no trouble for an SR20DET if it has a good map. Those motors are fine till approx 350hp stock, and to 450hp with just uprated rod bolts.

Light car too, so even a stock one with the free boost mod is a sub-6 second car to 60 if you can get the power down.

My previous car was Primera P11 GT. In terms of power/speed the 2.0 Accord is pretty much the same, its a bit heavier but the bit of extra torque makes up for it. The handling is the big difference, the GT felt quite light and nimble whereas the Accord feels a bit dull by comparison. The steering is also completey lacking in feel after the GT. Im not criticising the Accord its just not a 'sporty' car.

Wilderman said:
My previous car was Primera P11 GT. In terms of power/speed the 2.0 Accord is pretty much the same, its a bit heavier but the bit of extra torque makes up for it. The handling is the big difference, the GT felt quite light and nimble whereas the Accord feels a bit dull by comparison. The steering is also completey lacking in feel after the GT. Im not criticising the Accord its just not a 'sporty' car.
Exactly. My Gt was lowered by 35mm and had bilstein shocks. The handling of the car was so great that i cant even imagine going from those characteristics to worse. So i def like some more sporty feel.
Only way i could sacrifice that would be if the car offered alot of luxury.

Right Now its between the 2.4 executive and a 2000 model Impreza GT 100% stock. Its such a big difference in both when it comes to luxury and performance. Its such a hard choice.
A 200sx for a good price, stock, and nicely maintained would probably be my instant buy, but still waiting for some to be listed, and i cannot wait forever.

If the accord i was looking at was Manual, i would most likely go buy it soon. But since everyone does not recommend the automatic, im really not considering it anymore.

Nasty1984 said:
It's way harder to get gains from the 2.0 then the 2.4
Ok nice to know thanks. I did see someone who put a Typer-r rocker in the 2.0 and had 40hp+ gains with some other boltons though. Might be on this forum i saw it.

Inter web gives the Impreza "gt" a 0 to 60 of 6.3 secs, the manual 2.4 accord 7.9
If your choices are limited and your concerned about speed the Impreza will out gun the accord by quite some margin in the corners and on the straights. I'm a Honda fan first and foremost but have owned two imprezas in the past and in the right hands they are simply awesome machines.

I had to ask the resident Impreza owner in the office what a GT was, as GT to me is the he's ignition for a turbo legacy wagon.

A GT is a left-hooker WRX for Europe.

***uming it's the same spec as our ones, you're talking 220hp stock, and 280 with a little work.

You'd have to fire the money catapult hard at a 2.4 to get that kind of power.

All comes down to wether you want luxury or performance.
A gen 7 accord EX is still a very nice place to sit.

ok i fround this reasonable impreza now listed.
it has done 220'000kms though (136701 miles)
Its a unique thing, its actually a 1995 STI JDM which in japan was powerful.
The car chassis is re-buildt to a 2000 gt. Car got 265hp, and seller claim its professionally rebuilt engine.

Would this be a smart buy? in gbp it would be around 5670gbp. Considering the taxes overseas here for cars are just crazy.
There is many other imprezas listed for tripple the price which are normal GT's ith 217hp.

So in comparison it seems that this impreza is somehow underpriced, and its hard to know if it would be smart considering
the car is fiddled with alot.

Seller also claim the engine is professionally tuned too.

the 2.4 Exe aut i was considering was listed at 8860 gbp. but only 100k on the clock (62000 miles)

I can't believe the prices of cars in your country !
I think you may also want to ask these questions on a Impreza forum.
The Impreza you mentioned would prob sell for 2500 - 3000 gbp over here if the work carried out was professionally done and invoiced.
Surely there must be some reasonably priced Saab 93 turbos for sale over there?
Very comfortable,solid and reasonably quick too

Also, after reading your post the sti should be running way more Bhp than 265 if professionally tuned ***uming it's the red top engine

Having own a 2004 saab 93 aero and Abbott racing 93 viggen,they are quick and cheap,but handling is very bad compared to the accord, even when i had tuned all 3 cars.and boring to drive,however they are nice inside,i like the fact this is an accord forum,but you are all saying the accord isnt very good.

Funny isn't it.

People buy accords with their eyes open, knowing the limitations of them.
My diesel's a motorway killer, and cheap to run, I know it handles like a wet fish so dont push it.

I'd much rather drive a Honda than a VW, ford or Vauxhall though, as they don't have a soul.

Don't get me wrong the 2.4 accord is a good reliable and comfortable car but in standard form a sports car it is not. I remember when the mk7 was launched attending an event in Swindon with other Honda employees and amongst the new models was a euro r. Imagine my excitement at the prospect of owning a uk reg'd euro r only to find out a month later that they were not destined for these shores in an attempt to sell more civic r's. If I remember correctly it was even badged as a type r rather than the euro but it was along time ago!

I suspect the engine of this impreza to not be legally in the car, which means, if i get caught i will get a real
high ticket and the car cant be registred again. Its russian roulette, not smart. Now im only left with the 2.4 accord automatic.
I could fit a strut bar on it and change shocks to bilstein? i dont feel like lowering it though, but im so spoiled when it comes to good handling characteristics.

About prices over here, its true. they are insane, you wont belive it. You never see anyone over here to buy a car without a loan.
And the middle class isnt that rich either. Food is expensive, and there is taxes on EVERYTHING!

The Tax for importing a car and have it registred,
For old cars the price will double, if the car is newer like 2005+ the price will tripple.
see urself. There is a english version of this site:
https://www.skatteetaten.no/en/Person/cars-and-other-vehicles/import-car/calculate/calculator-import/

Even tho there is only a few changes on the euro R over the cl9.it makes a massive difference on the road,also the euro R makes you feel special,i never get that in my cl9,you where a lucky chap to be at the launch.i believe if they had sold the euro R in the uk.it would of out sold the ep3.the great thing about the euro R being an import tho,they are holding there value very well.

i guess Honda Europe decided there wasn't enough market for a fast accord they were only really making money from fleet sales at the time.
The dc5 integra also shared the same fate as did the "shelved" next gen prelude which never made it out of concept.
Thank god for jdm imports!