What's new

so how much of your Accord is an off-the-shelf design

exec said:
True they don't redesign just for sake of it, but there is still element of redesign because it still needs to fit in line with the product, some parts can be universal, e.g. a radiator fan and other smaller periphery parts. ABS unit is actually interesting as most tend to be off the shelf, but back in the days Honda designed and made their own just because they could whilst everyone used an off the shelf unit.

Also I don't recall pattern parts being necessarily universal. In the motoring industry you hav eyour genuine part, oem part and then pattern part. Pattern part is just a copy of the original part by a 3rd party vendor.
What's the difference between a genuine part and an OEM part?

The name on the packet.

Same part but either bought through Honda or the people that manufactured the original.

Like buying a Bilstein damper from Subaru, or direct from Bilstein, like i did with my last car.

Hahaha. Very true.

For me it was the same part, but for £179 as opposed to £690.
And of course, I needed two of 'em.

When things are like that from the manufacturer, no wonder so many vehicles become cat D's.

Used to do insurance ***essments on motorcycles at the dealer.

Would ask the customer if they wanted is to save it from being written off with some of the less common stuff, because with the price of some components, you could easily spin it either way for the sake of a small nick in the finish.
A fuel tank was typically 10% of the bike price, as was one complete leg of a fork ***embly, with a wheel rim not far behind.

Goodluckmonkey said:
The name on the packet.

Same part but either bought through Honda or the people that manufactured the original.

Like buying a Bilstein damper from Subaru, or direct from Bilstein, like i did with my last car.
I was going to say - price

There was a parts site for Ducati owners that would bring up alternative non-branded items that were from the same source, quite often they would be a third of the cost.

The car marque industry however is a different matter - Lucas for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XKE-ASTON-MARTIN-TRIUMPH-MATCHED-PAIR-LUCAS-HORNS-NOS-69219-69220-9H-/332091202978?hash=item4d522d9da2:g:0vkAAOSwKOJYJN~q

or Fiamm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMM-ROAD-MASTER-AIR-HORN-COMPRESSOR-FERRARI-MASERATI-LAMBORGHINI-USED-WORKS-/122307998510?hash=item1c7a1ff32e:g:5EIAAOSw241YdntN

I was being a bit light-hearted when I started this, didn't want to be contentious.

But yes, obviously there are some areas of a car that are "bespoke" (using the word as a design rather than a product such as a bridge). Obviously the body shell and panels and light-enclosures are "bespoke", but, even the actual process for large-scale production of the "bespoke" parts is also "off-the-shelf". All car manufacturers have a close relationship with the companies that produce the "bespoke" parts, but then there are loads of "non-bespoke" or "off-the-shelf" designs and parts.

To my way of thinking, It is the Honda petrol engines (and gearboxes?) that are true Honda, they share little (if anything) in common with other marques. Those are not "off-the-shelf", they are truly "bespoke".

But the problem is that many people who buy cars, whatever the marque and model, think that every single part of their car was designed in-house by some R&D guru, and that includes the ICE, NAVI, aircon, braking system, etc, etc.

Jon_G said:
What's the difference between a genuine part and an OEM part?
When I worked at Fords there was a section that packed parts for spares, where workers transferred parts from the manufacturers boxes into boxes saying " Genuine Ford Part "

Goodluckmonkey said:
The name on the packet.

Genuine is just one bought through the Car manufacturer, it will be stamped as Honda, Toyota etc.

OEM obviously as the name states is the original manufacturer that made it, same part but no car manf branding on it.

Good example is my dad has a Kia, which uses a Hyundai engine, when I first serviced it I bought a genuine Hyundai filter from ebay from Hyundai dealer store. Although it was stamped Hyundai etc it did still have MANN (the OEM), so I found the OEM part on ECP, exact same part by MANN so this is classed as an OEM part, was good couple of quid cheaper. Alternatively a pattern part would be a copy/replica of the genuine/oem part, made by a non OEM, sometimes these are cheap poor quality parts, sometimes they are just as good as geneuine or OEM or near enough, usually classed as OE quality, one popular such brand is Blueprint, who also make OEM parts for some brands.

It's amazing how many believe that it's a better part when comes in a box with HONDA written on it though...
Depends on the context, if your buy a clutch and its made by LUK and you have the option to buy a genuine Honda clutch or buy the OEM LUK branded part, it is pretty pointless, unless of course the genuine is cheaper or same price. In this scenario the most rational choice is to go for the cheapest and save yourself a few quid. But if you have the choice of a genuine Honda part and a pattern part, even an OE pattern part, the genuine part is still better in my opinion. Take for example buying genuine Honda HT leads which cost £100, they are guaranteed (baring any manufacturing fault) to last 10+ years, whereas say a £50 Blueprint OE part you might get half the working life of the genuine part. Fortunately you can get the OEM NGK part for a price inbetween the two.

At the end of the day you want to make a choice that makes the most financial sense. No point getting mugged on a part cos its genuine branded, meanwhile its not always economical buying a cheap pattern part that doesnt last very long.

freddofrog said:
I was being a bit light-hearted when I started this, didn't want to be contentious.

But yes, obviously there are some areas of a car that are "bespoke" (using the word as a design rather than a product such as a bridge). Obviously the body shell and panels and light-enclosures are "bespoke", but, even the actual process for large-scale production of the "bespoke" parts is also "off-the-shelf". All car manufacturers have a close relationship with the companies that produce the "bespoke" parts, but then there are loads of "non-bespoke" or "off-the-shelf" designs and parts.

To my way of thinking, It is the Honda petrol engines (and gearboxes?) that are true Honda, they share little (if anything) in common with other marques. Those are not "off-the-shelf", they are truly "bespoke".

But the problem is that many people who buy cars, whatever the marque and model, think that every single part of their car was designed in-house by some R&D guru, and that includes the ICE, NAVI, aircon, braking system, etc, etc.
I think it's an interesting discussion. Some really good points made here. Agree with you there, a lot of people do have that misconception, which is kind of silly, as imagine the cost to the manufacturer if they manufacturered every nook and cranny of the car inhouse. We would probably pay 100k for a Honda Jazz. It makes far more sense to outsource and it also makes sense to use off the shelf where possible as its ultimately cheaper.

Your right Honda design, engineer and manufacturer all their engines and gearboxes. They have used other brand engine and gearbox in one or two models where they did not have such a product, as mentioned by someone the 1.7 Isuzu diesel when Honda did not have any diesel engines, also used Rover diesel I think and IIRC they have used once a DCT gearbox from another brand when they didnt have a DCT box. But in general they make all their own engine and gearboxes, they actually designed their own automatic gearbox originally as the autobox was patented and everyone had to pay a licence to BorgWarner I believe, so rather than do that Honda went back to drawing book and made their own planetary type autobox called the Hondamatic. 90% of car manufacturers do not make their own gearboxes, they are bought off the shelf, for example VAG group DSG gearbox is not their invention or design, it is BorgWarner and VAG just have exclusive license to it, like with a lot of AWD system in cars like the Haldex etc.

The unique thing with Honda is since they are an engineering company, they often tend to go and do their own thing, which is quite eccentric for a car brand, which they are famed for.

Richard B said:
Using an existing part for a new purpose amplifies the profitability of that part. Requiring a change does the opposite, especially if it is not an already available part. A general part is a cost, but a custom part is an investment.

As a design engineer, you use new parts where they count. A new body design needs new head and tail light ***emblies, which are the things that contribute to new sales. But you'd want to use the same bulb system across a range of cars, unless your tech has changed, in which case you'd want to incorporate that across your range of cars.

Everything that requires the manufacture of a new mold or dye and subsequent new manufacturing processes needs to be treated as an investment and ***essed on the necessity of contributing to what makes and sells a new car.
As an outsider to all this I ***ume there are quality as cost reasons for leaving well alone rather than making changes for change's sake.

For example if I was a Honda engineer designing a car's cooling system, I don't think I'd want to interfere with a radiator designed by an engineer at Denso who has spent years just designing radiators and nothing else - certainly not without a very good reason, anyway.

Cliffordski said:
As an outsider to all this I ***ume there are quality as cost reasons for leaving well alone rather than making changes for change's sake.
Exactly. If you are on the design team and you want to make a change, you need to convince your boss that the cost of that change translates to profitability down the line, whether it's addressing an outstanding reliability issue, or a cool new thing that attracts new customers.

^ Yeh, thats why you will find on Honda's anyway previously they used to reuse the same design and parts over few generations and product ranges. For example the indicator stalks, the rev counter, speedo etc, inside door switches, interestingly the 5th gen had different types, whereas the 6th gen had one very similar to the 2nd gen Accord.

It makes sense to reuse some parts both from financial point of view but also reliability as you mention, when you have a design that works reliably and has been refined you keep using it.