What's new

So Many Tyre Options...

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
...Hello people :)

Time has come to change my tyres as the front two are shot and the rear two are okay but will leave them in the garage for spares with my spare type s alloy B)!

So i want 4 brand new tyres (dont trust part worns) and have the lovely tyre size of 225/45/17, very common! Now i have three questions.

1) Should I change to 235/40/17 or 245/35/17 or keep it stock sizes? Just really for looks and rim protection.

2) the tyres always look under inflated and i think its because of the soft sidewalls. I believe stock speed and load is 94y? or is it 91y? Would changing them bring any benefit to making the tyre look properly inflated? I do alot of fast road driving and the edge of the front tyres are worn because of the soft sidewalls when cornering so dont want that happening again.

3) WHICH TYRE!!??
I have a shortlist so feel free to add or remove..
- Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2's
- Yokohama AD08
- Falken ZE914
- Bridgestone Potenza RE050A or RE070A

Please help me find the perfect tyres for my car. I believe tyre leader is currently the cheapest online for tyres if anyone has any other place or discount codes please let me know :) Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;)

+1 for the Goodyear F1 As2's. I have them on mine after Continentals and Michelins. Nice, quite tyre with good grip and life.

just purchased a pair of Kumho 225/50/17 98Y for my Accord, found a site which is cheap, tyreleader.co.uk. They were £80 each, usual price is around £115-£130. They are mid-high range tyre.

Plenty of choice from my-tyres, blackcircles, camskill, etc
I would stick with standard sizes but go for extra load (xl) rated ones if you are worried about soft sidewalls

i went with Avon zv5- 4x tyres - for 268 delivered and got them fitted for £30 quid.

I wanted toyo cf2's to begin with but no stock. Avon seem good for grip - very quiet and im pretty sure the ride is more compliant now 225/45/17 on pentas.

I had kumhos previously. not overly impressed with them

Depends on what you really want.

Goodyear Efficient Grip is excellent in wet, low rolling resistance and very quiet. Good for motorway.

Otherwise, F1 Asymmetric 2 would be the best all rounder for money

the re070 for road use will be the best tyre you ever use.i ran ad08 on my dc5,amazing in the dry.rubbish in the wet.or cold morning temps.they cant cut through the greasy early morning roads.they are a semi slick track tyre...the goodyear f1 my friend used to use on his dc5.now uses re070.and loves them.plus sign up to dc5forum and re070 cost £83 each.a bargain.re050 are ok but the re070 will be the best by far.and you should buy an uprated rear anti roll,to take full advantage of the grip the re070 will produce.wont feel like a boat any more.lol

ukcl9 said:
the re070 for road use will be the best tyre you ever use.i ran ad08 on my dc5,amazing in the dry.rubbish in the wet.or cold morning temps.they cant cut through the greasy early morning roads.they are a semi slick track tyre...the goodyear f1 my friend used to use on his dc5.now uses re070.and loves them.plus sign up to dc5forum and re070 cost £83 each.a bargain.re050 are ok but the re070 will be the best by far.and you should buy an uprated rear anti roll,to take full advantage of the grip the re070 will produce.wont feel like a boat any more.lol
Thanks for the advice mate! Which dc5 forum?
My car is stock so not expecting anything amazing but anti roll bars are on my list lol

What do you guys have your tyre pressures set at? My current tyres are 32 front and 30 rear as stated by handbook but my tyre sidewalls have worn in which means it's buckling as I turn fast (b roads)!

My tyres are 91y at the moment and the new ones will be 94y XL so it has a stiffer sidewall but what pressures should I put in for best B road driving? Don't want to wear the sidewalls on new tyres lol :). My mate said 33 all round?

Wow reading some other honda forums and some are running 40 front and 38 back same size tyres and others 38 all round and others 38 front 36 back? That high? Hmmmmm

I have Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2's on my summer wheels, good tyre running at 33PSi all round

40 is way to much, it will be a rough ride having the psi that high.

i have mine 34 all round, very smooth with the kuhmo tyres. your meant to have the front tyres one psi heavier than the backs. you can find the recommended tyre size and psi's on the inside of the drivers side door. mine says 33 front, 32 backs, but its personal preference at the end of the day.

My wheels are 18s, and I've 35 at the front and 33 at the rear, it is just perfect to my personal liking

Gaz172 said:
I have Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2's on my summer wheels, good tyre running at 33PSi all round
They are terrific when the temp is above 8 or 10c. Not so good when it's cold, obviously since they are summer tyres. Not sure about road noise, on rough surfaces they are noisy, but that's more the Accord's lack of sound deadening.

As a general rule, remember to let your insurance company know that you have changed your tyre rim size since the tyre size details are badged on your car interior. Any discrepancies could mean no payment in the event of an accident.

I'd definitely say don't go for budgets first off!

Goodyear Eagle F1's AS2's are great, as are Dunlop Sport Response.

I use Camskill and a local fitter.

Although, I have just found out last week my brother in law works for Stapleton's, so cheap tyres for me hopefully!

I've got the Falken ZE914 on all 4 corners currently. I've been reasonably impressed with the grip but they are quite noisy. I've had Avon in the past and they were rubbish in the wet and I was paranoid they were always flat because of the soft sidewalls you mentioned.

The Falken's were something like £80 each on BlackCircles.

Pressure wise - I run 35 all round and to me it feels better than the handbooks suggestion (30/32 i think), although I am in a tourer so it may be different for a saloon.

Yeah I hate the look of the sidewalls when they look flat!

I think the best tyre overall is the AS2 with a 94xl rating! I looked at ze914's but they are only £15 a corner cheaper! I can get AS2 x4 for £80 a corner so £320 plus £30 fitting :)

As for pressures I'm going to try 34 front 32 back when I get new tyres or 36 front and 34 back

I've the 18" Goodyear Efficient Grip just fitted 20 mins ago, I can't believe it's so quiet and comfortable. The handling is transformed completely.

I bought them from blackcircle, very similar price to camskill, but they give me nearly 1200 tesco club card points, which worth £12 of voucher :)

I've recently had a pair of Vredestein Sessanta tyres fitted and I really like them, first time I've used these but they're much better than the P6000 that were on the car. I've still got 2 on the rear, which I'll replace next year once they've worn down. I have Toyo Snowprox for the winter months. My pressures are around 31-33psi, anything higher is too much IMO.