What's new

So what should I expect with from my 2.4?

pstruck

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX
Been doing lots of reading here after agreeing a deal on a nice 06 2.4 EX, most of it good encouraging stuff, but then the odd comment that raises a little concern.

So I know what sort of mpg to expect and I know that if I really want to extract the best performance from it I need to access the VTEC upward of 6000 rpm. Most of my driving will be more relaxed, but I'm sure temptation will coax me into the upper rev band occasionally.

I have read a couple of posts suggesting that the 2.4 can consume a litle oil. From what I can tell many modern enines do, which seems strange to me, but then checking the dipstick regularly and periodically topping up is not really a hardship.

So do all 2.4's like to drink oil, or is it more hit and miss? What sort of oil should I be using? How do owners find tyre and brake wear on these? Obviously dependent on driving style to a large extent. Are they sensitive to tyre type?

Sorry for the questions and no doubt there will be more.

I've got a 2003 2.4 EX and it hardly uses oil and I've not read anything that says they do. I get my oil from Holdcroft Honda, just tell them your reg and they do the rest, I insist on Honda's own though. Performance is okay but you do have to use the Auto manually if you want to move, but its not really that sort of car. The manual is a different beast and feels far more livelier. If I was buying again I'd try and get a facelifted Type-S with the 2.4.

I'm about 8k into all four of my tyres (Kuhmo) and there's loads of life left in the fronts and the rears will probably get past their use date before the tread is low (actually, I'll start rotating them). I will say that road noise is quite prominent so choose a quiet tyre. I did the dics and pads all round three years a go and apart from a clean they're still pretty fresh, I did the brake fluid last week.

Check every 4-6 weeks mate just to be on the safe side. If you're booting it a lot (which I kinda do :blush: ) you'll likely need a top up every time you check :rolleyes: . If you drive gently most of the time, you won't need to top up so often. Just make sure you do keep an eye on things as I've nearly had a fit on one occasion when I'd forgotten to check for a while and it seriously low...

stock vtec is unusable.its 6000-7100 rpm.you change gear at 7100 and revs drop to around 4-5k .so you have to wait for rev's to climb again and vtec only lasts a few seconds.

you can get it remaped so vtec comes in at 4600-7600.makes a massive differance to driveability and fun.change gear you will always be in vtec

oil wise i use 2-2.5ltrs of oil every 6000 miles.but it gets driven very hard

i use bridgestone re070 tyres and they last around 10-12k miles on the front..no turbo so no tyre shredding

brakes seem to last ages.and cheap enough

I thrash the living crap out of mine , really really hard on it .. treat it like the 1800 quid car it was .. disposable .... Unlike the poster above .. I eat through tyres on the corners and lanes of Surrey /Berkshire /Hampshire .. but use very little oil . ... I also have my traction control switched off which probably does the tyres no favours . .. also my brakes need done ... again .. ate the pads .. again lol

I can't imagine I'll be thrashing mine too regularly. My driving style these days is more sedate than it used to be. When I'm in the mood I quite like to make swift progress on a quiet and interesting rural A or B road blast, but thats not a daily occurence.

Does poor tyre choice result in any tramlining on the standard 17's?

Cliffordski said:
Road tax is nearly £500 on the facelifts.
Are we talking about the same car here? It's £285 for 12 months on a 7th gen 2.4 - well that's what mine is.

Cliffordski said:
Depends if it was registered before 23/3/06.
Ah yes, for the 2.4 tourer, which is 230g/km CO2. The saloons are 214g, so all fall within the lower tax band. Got me confused for a minute there.

Come on guys, this tax thing is getting silly now. Face lift is the same as pre face £285.

Sorry, i was talking about the saloon. This is a common topic, i wonder why the tourer is more? same engine.

ukcl9 said:
stock vtec is unusable.its 6000-7100 rpm.you change gear at 7100 and revs drop to around 4-5k .so you have to wait for rev's to climb again and vtec only lasts a few seconds.

you can get it remaped so vtec comes in at 4600-7600.makes a massive differance to driveability and fun.change gear you will always be in vtec
I've had this remap and done over 3K since. It's very good. If you enjoy a spirited drive and improved torque, treat yourself and speak to UKCL9 and/or Littlebo.

I think tyres is going to one of my first decisions with the new car. Despite my hints the dealer I'm buying from has not changed the front tyres, which haven't got a huge amount of life left in them. So I'll be replacing them before too long. The car is on 17" rims. I don't buy bargain basement tyres, but equally I don't go top whack either. I've tended to go for makes like Falken (really liked the 452 on an old BMW 330 of mine) and Hankook, which I'm currently running on my A4. I'd probably consider these again, but would be happy to try something else if anyone cares to suggest something they've found to be good without breaking the bank?

Bit of a tangent there from the discussion/my original thread...... :huh:

r3dd3v1l said:
sorry i seen "what should i expect" and automatically thought you were after more power haha
Well you never know, after driving it standard for a while I may well be. :)

pstruck said:
I think tyres is going to one of my first decisions with the new car. Despite my hints the dealer I'm buying from has not changed the front tyres, which haven't got a huge amount of life left in them. So I'll be replacing them before too long. The car is on 17" rims. I don't buy bargain basement tyres, but equally I don't go top whack either. I've tended to go for makes like Falken (really liked the 452 on an old BMW 330 of mine) and Hankook, which I'm currently running on my A4. I'd probably consider these again, but would be happy to try something else if anyone cares to suggest something they've found to be good without breaking the bank?
+1 for Falken. That's what i get for my 17". Decent value for money and plenty grip.

I've also had Avon's which were crap. Very soft side-walls so if I parked half on the pavement the looks nearly flat...avoid them.

Tyres are an endless source of debate but FWIW I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2, about £100 a corner from black circles. Great balance of noise, comfort, grip and particularly impressive in the wet, wearing well too.