What's new

Sorry - another seized rear brake calliper thread - calliper replacement recommendations please :-)

Sweet, cheers dudes. I'll get them ordered up once I get paid lol.

Why is the nearside calliper £20 more than the offside? That has me worried that I'll order the wrong parts.

freddofrog said:
Also, based on my personal observation in the past, sometimes Honda dealers use the wrong type of grease on the sliders and other areas, which can cause problems (though this won't affect whether the piston seizes)
Funny you should say that - I once saw a mechanic at a Honda main dealer dipping a slider in copper slip before putting it back into the customer's brake caliper.

Have the discs, callipers and the braided hoses. Collecting the brake pads tomorrow morning after I've had my exhaust sorted.

DSC_0104_zpsvqxsflfp.jpg

Great stuff what brand hoses and discs did you get?

sent using tapatalk

^ what he said, and also, how much did that lot cost, I'm going to do it myself on my CM2 ;)

The hoses are Hel, the discs were the second cheapest on the site on the not the cheapest, but one up from that logic! Wasn't expecting the seized callipers so have to keep the spending down. Will sort them out in 12 months or so with something a better.

I did the same as you cos I was fed up with the brakes binding. I replaced the calipers, slider pins, hoses (rubber ones) and genuine pads. I kept the genuine discs as they seemed ok. This was 2 years a go and they have been perfect until recently when a slider pin seized but I cleaned that up and regreased it. I'll be keeping an eye on it though...

Have fun adjusting the handbrake shoes after fitting the new discs, they are a PITA!

-Rich- said:
I did the same as you cos I was fed up with the brakes binding. I replaced the calipers, slider pins, hoses (rubber ones) and genuine pads. I kept the genuine discs as they seemed ok. This was 2 years a go and they have been perfect until recently when a slider pin seized but I cleaned that up and regreased it. I'll be keeping an eye on it though...

Have fun adjusting the handbrake shoes after fitting the new discs, they are a PITA!
I'll let chaps at Honda worry about that

All sorted. They were up against it time wise as they were doing it around other booked jobs to get it sorted before midday so they weren't able to make time to do the hoses too, but the main thing is the MOT is passed and the brakes are significantly better. I'm going to try and get my coil overs fitted very soon, and will get the braided hoses done at the same time.

Glad your sorted nice to know all went well

sent using tapatalk

That's was some drive how long did it take from home to holdcroft ❓

sent using tapatalk

Nah, wasn't Holdcroft, just my local Honda. I go there once a year for a service and a free MOT as they know me and do me favourable rates (despite me turning up with parts I've sourced myself) ;) .

Steve - how are the replacement brakes working out?

Just yesterday I discovered that my rear pads are down to a wear indicator and the discs have looked horrible for years, so replacements are in order.

Jon_G said:
Steve - how are the replacement brakes working out?

Just yesterday I discovered that my rear pads are down to a wear indicator and the discs have looked horrible for years, so replacements are in order.
Is that wear indicator called a piston ?

Haha. I just make her sit in the back with the kids instead.

Cliffordski said:
That's sorted for another 2 years then.
I've actually got an old pad I can fit, if needs must!

Frustratingly the rear pads (genuine Honda, surprisingly for me) are only about 14 months old and three of them still have at least 80% of material remaining but the offside inner pad has become jammed in its slider, hence being worn down to the wear indicator... a simple matter of a stiff bit of wire-brushing and some ceramic grease to fix, but the damage is already done.

Why couldn't Honda have done a better job of the tourer rear brakes?

Jon_G said:
Why couldn't Honda have done a better job of the tourer rear brakes?
I think you must be mistaken. These are Honda brakes and therefore automatically perfect. Any issues are solely your fault for not maintaining them properly.

My rear brakes are fine. Never fitted the braided hoses as they sent too long ones for the rear and they rubbed against the shock absorber. Wasn't the end of the world as I sent them back for a refund, which helped go towards the extra labour costs of fitting my suspension.

But, I've noticed my front probably only have 4-5K left in them now. Thankfully my front discs are only a year or so old, so they're ok.

WARNING - Do periodic visual checks on your brake pads. Don't make the same mistake I did and ***ume you will get an audible warning before they wear out. Last week I got that horrible metallic grinding sound when I braked. The outside pad on one of the rear brakes had worn out completely but the inner pad with the audible warning tag on it still had plenty of life left in it.
Murphy's Law :angry:

Same thing happened to me too. Rear right I think it was. The mechanic changed it for me about €100 keeping mine