What's new

speaker upgrade

Rinesh

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Executive
Hi all,

Im thinking about upgrading my audio systeem. I have the Premium sound with sat nav at the moment. Right now im quite satisfied with the sound, but the front door speakers do not deliver any base at all. So i was thinking about upgrading them.
I would like to know if the front speakers are 6.5 inch or 5 inch one's. Because i've read about both so now i dont know for sure which one to look for. Im not intending to use a aftermarket amp or anything like that. I would be happy if the base would be a bit more then now.
To replace the speakers, can i do it by taking of the speaker grill? Regarding tweeters: I'm ok with the stock one.

So in short i would like to know:
What size speakers do i need?
Are they easy to replace?
Is it worth upgrading?
Some suggestions...

Thank in advance guys.

Hi rinesh. Can't see what model you have as I'm on iPhone I'm a type s and also in the process of doing this upgrade. I'm pretty sure the fronts are 5". My new fronts to go in are 6.5 so I've bought some mdf spacer rings from eBay. Not fully had a close look but it looks like a door cards off job. I've also bought some soundproofing for the doors so maybe consider that as I feel you get a lot of door vibration on the accord. Also maybe worth looking at 6x9s for the back 1st as that's a reasonably easy job and makes a huge difference although you do get a lot of shelf vibration which I'm trying to address ! Defo a job worth doing as auto speakers are cheap and the flimsy oem paper cups are poor ! Hope some of this helps ;)

Hi rinesh. Can't see what model you have as I'm on iPhone I'm a type s and also in the process of doing this upgrade. I'm pretty sure the fronts are 5". My new fronts to go in are 6.5 so I've bought some mdf spacer rings from eBay. Not fully had a close look but it looks like a door cards off job. I've also bought some soundproofing for the doors so maybe consider that as I feel you get a lot of door vibration on the accord. Also maybe worth looking at 6x9s for the back 1st as that's a reasonably easy job and makes a huge difference although you do get a lot of shelf vibration which I'm trying to address ! Defo a job worth doing as auto speakers are cheap and the flimsy oem paper cups are poor ! Hope some of this helps ;)

I have a 2.4 Executiver (premium sound). Do u also have premium sound?
So have u already changed the 6x9s and any recommendation for them?
If u are upgrading anytime soon then let us know if u had to remove the door cards off or it was not necessary. Honestly, i dont want to remove the door card because i dont have the patience to do that kind of stuff, so trying to avoid it.

Hello you will have to remove the door cards, it's not a simple drop in. You will likely need a spacer and mount this way you can add 6.5" no probs.
if your just wanting to improve the bass then look to change the 6x9 in the shelf that's a simple swap and handles bass only, don't spend money on fancy 3way 6x9s as the only receive bass frequency.

the problem like most oem stereos is the build in amp tapers off the bass with volume increase it also only sends mids to the front highly corrected. But for you needs I would suggest swapping 6x9 first.

How much gains have people seen with changing the 6x9 on the exec models?

I have a budget after market double din unit bypassing the factory head unit which I imagine is more capable than the premium system in the exec. This is combined with uprated alpine 6x9s and I have noticed a huge difference with sound quality in particular, but as mentioned that's the pre facelift type s and I am now trying to reduce rear parcel shelf vibration in particular. I can't imagine the speaker setup in the type s being much different to the exec and would suggest that any sort of aftermarket speakers would be an improvement on the cardboard factory ***** in either model !!!

Ok guys, thanks for the info. Im going to change te 6x9s first and see what the effect is. Yesterday i tried to look into them, seems like you have to replace them by removing te speakergrill on the shelf. Tried that, seems like there are some clips holding it and also some glue. Any of u guys removed those shelf speakers, and how did you do it?

My rears have JBL 100 watts and they transformed the sound quality. The fronts are standard. I'm pretty happy with the bass because of the rears.

My rears have JBL 100 watts and they transformed the sound quality. The fronts are standard. I'm pretty happy with the bass because of the rears.
How did you remove the speakers? I suppose by removing the speaker grill? Was yours also glued and did you just rip it out?
Im also thinking about getting a JBL. JBL GT6-69. (RMS: 70W). and sensitivity 94DB. I suppose these are more then enough.

Can't remember exactly but think it's 4 8mm bolts under the grill holding it down, when replacing be careful not to over tighten/cross thread as bolts are soft. Don't think they are stuck down but if they are it'll be a type of adhesive. Unless you want to cut the stock connector off buy something like this which will allow you to use the original connector- link is example be sure to check it's the correct one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-818-Honda-Accord-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Stereo-/180629518622?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item2a0e5bb91e

Can't remember exactly but think it's 4 8mm bolts under the grill holding it down, when replacing be careful not to over tighten/cross thread as bolts are soft. Don't think they are stuck down but if they are it'll be a type of adhesive. Unless you want to cut the stock connector off buy something like this which will allow you to use the original connector- link is example be sure to check it's the correct one.
Cant see the link Salim...

I have a budget after market double din unit bypassing the factory head unit which I imagine is more capable than the premium system in the exec. This is combined with uprated alpine 6x9s and I have noticed a huge difference with sound quality in particular, but as mentioned that's the pre facelift type s and I am now trying to reduce rear parcel shelf vibration in particular. I can't imagine the speaker setup in the type s being much different to the exec and would suggest that any sort of aftermarket speakers would be an improvement on the cardboard factory ***** in either model !!!

Only difference I know is the premium sound system has rear door speakers. for the best sound quality bypassing the amp is the way to go but means a full install would be needed to justify it. I have done this for a friend and sound is excellent using the stock nav unit.

Guys,

I changed the 6x9 for a JBL GT6-69. Unfortunatly only 2 screwholes align at each speaker. So i have secured them with only 2 screws each opposite each other (for now). This leads to an immense amount of vibration from the speaker. So next week im thinking to make 2 new holes so i can secure them right.
There is another problem which i detected. My front left speaker seems not to be working all the time. When i open up the volume at 24 or above, then it starts working. And when i lower the volume to approx 5-10, it then stops working again. I read in a few topics that the 7th gen had some speaker problems? Can someone confirm that. What solution do u guys recommend for this problem?

I did to mine and to be honest it wasn't really worth it. All i gained was rattles.

Did you secured the speakers with all 4 screws? Because even i have this problem. Also worth mentioning maybe: the original speakers had some kind of rubber underneath them to minimalize vibration etc. So im going to use some material underneath the speakers (on the edges), maybe it will help.

I was quite surprised at the quality and volume of my premium sound in my 2003 exec, when I was in the boot one day I had a look at the parcel shelf speakers and was surprised to see they were made by pioneer, are these the standard ones ? I ***ume they are.

I was quite surprised at the quality and volume of my premium sound in my 2003 exec, when I was in the boot one day I had a look at the parcel shelf speakers and was surprised to see they were made by pioneer, are these the standard ones ? I ***ume they are.
Yes, the premium sound models have pioneer shelf speakers standard

The premium sound system was indeed premium, there's also an amplifier in there too. It was a shame Honda Ireland didn't sell the type s with the premium sound system.

The premium sound system does indeed cook on gas. It's an alpine amplifier hidden beneath the centre console, then alpine speakers throughout including a cheeky little sub. On the tourer it's mounted in the side wall of the boot. On the saloon I believe it's on the rear parcel shelf.

I wonder if there are different levels of premium, ive got built in sat nav and premium headunit pioneer speakers but haven't come across a sub ? 2003 saloon exec.

Do you have 3 speakers across the back shelf? If so one of them should be just kicking out low end stuff. That's your sub.

I wonder if there are different levels of premium, ive got built in sat nav and premium headunit pioneer speakers but haven't come across a sub ? 2003 saloon exec.

Haven't found a sub or a 3rd speaker neither in my 2007 saloon exec

the 6x9 shelf speakers are the subs in our cars.
Guys,
There is another problem which i detected. My front left speaker seems not to be working all the time. When i open up the volume at 24 or above, then it starts working. And when i lower the volume to approx 5-10, it then stops working again. I read in a few topics that the 7th gen had some speaker problems, or could it be the amp?

TypeR said:
How much gains have people seen with changing the 6x9 on the exec models?
Much better, not great but much better, stock ones are more appropriate for a transistor radio :D

Changing the 6x9 shelf speakers really is a good start for better bass.

Only problem, the shelf starts ro rattle after some time (because of the higher bass?)
What solution do you guys recommend to minimize the rattles? Is it possible to take out the shelf and use some sound isolation material beneath it?

Ya I have premium sound system in mine and it's very good, only thing is my door cards rattle like crazy, any1 know how to stop the rattles?

Paul_ctdi said:
Ya I have premium sound system in mine and it's very good, only thing is my door cards rattle like crazy, any1 know how to stop the rattles?
Ditto! I would love to know this also.

Instead of making a new topic, I'll continue off this one.

I'm looking to upgrading the 6x9s in my Accord on the stock headunit (Non Premium), not sure if the 6x9s differ on mine to the premium models.

Looking at Rinesh's GT6-69 which seem to have good reviews, any other recommendation on what to get? not looking to go down the amp/aftermarket HU route, just want to keep things simple.

Cheers.