What's new

starting problem - car not turning over fast enough

noely02

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
hi all,

been having a little issue over the last couple of days, when i go to start the car it turn over really slow, like the battery is flat.

i charged the battery just to be sure and it still turns over really slow.

it isn't stopping the car from starting, well not at the moment, any ideas?

Could be a voltage drop occurring. Can you check with a multimeter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRPLgH6uZg

Maybe the battery is knackered? Should be at least 12.5v after being left overnight.

But check the battery connections and also check the engine/battery/body large earth straps... if you have jump leads then run one from the battery negative terminal to the engine block, and another one from the same terminal to a solid metal point on the car bodywork somewhere under the bonnet.

if it is the battery, any ideas what code it is, i've searched a few places online and got 014, 053, 063, 075...............

well i drove the car to work which is 16 miles, most of which is dual carriage way so it should of give the battery a good charge, parked up, left it 2 hours ish, and when i checked the voltage with my multimeter it had 9.7v in it.

local motor factors had on a replacement on the shelf for £66, so i had it.

put it on, started up fine, checked again with the multimeter and the alternator was pitting in 14.6ish v at tick-over, is this right?

seems a bit high to me, does anyone have any idea what it should be putting in at different rpm's?

in the past i had a yamaha motorcycle that the voltage regulators were notorious for failing and frying batteries and after replacing 2 batteries in 2 years i kept a regular check on it.

Sounds bang on mate. 14-15v is perfect

Yeh volts sounds fine, the battery was probably just past its use by date, should be good for another few years!

thanks, that's good to know, can stop googling accord voltage regulator problems now :)