What's new

Subframe Alignment

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Been suffering with pulling to the left on my Tourer despite tracking now being correct and so the only thing left that could be causing it is Caster.

After speaking to Fahad last week he said Caster problem can occur if the subframe has been dropped and fitted back but a few mm out. This may well have been done when my timing chains were replaced late last year and so this could well be my problem..

A bit of research claims there is a Honda procedure for checking and re-aligning the subframe and just wondered if anybody knew anything about it and even better had they had it done on their car?

It gets a brief mention in the 7th gen ESM, which you can download here --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19286-haynes-us-accord-workshop-manuals/page-2

It says .....

After removing the subframe mounting bolts, front suspension subframe middle mounting rubber mounting bolts, and front suspension subframe rear bracket mounting bolts, be sure to replace them with new ones.

NOTE:
• Before removing the subframe, make reference marks on the subframe that line up with the edge of the rear bracket for reinstallation.
• When installing, align both installation reference holes in the subframe with the reference holes in the body using a screwdriver or tapered punch as a guide.
• After mounting the subframe and bracket loosely, align the reference marks with the edge of the rear bracket then tighten the bolts.

Subframe only needs to be lowered a little at the front to get the sump off/on during the chain swap, so shouldn't end up mis-aligned. At least, I never had to worry about that while doing mine.

Jon_G said:
Subframe only needs to be lowered a little at the front to get the sump off/on during the chain swap, so shouldn't end up mis-aligned. At least, I never had to worry about that while doing mine.
I have no idea how much it was lowered when the chains were done so thinking the worst !

Fair point... It seems unlikely to me that anyone would dismantle the subframe in a way that might cause misalignment, but I guess it can't be ruled out. Maybe previous accident damage might also have resulted in misalignment?

No the pulling to the left is something new. Timing chain done last winter while car was still on winter tyres and felt the pull the moment I re-fitted summer tyres.

Tracking 100% correct and tyres and wheels been swapped so I know its none of these.

Going to get the caster measured to see if it's out.

Yep get it on a hunter machine and have your toe, caster and camber checked and then you'll know for sure..