What's new

Suspected timing chain BAD RATTLE

Jon2.2

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord i-ctdi
Hi, my car has recently suffered a major rattle which i can feel through the clutch pedal really bad and car sounds like a tractor!, and when i turn it off its feels and sounds like an old ford mondeo. The rattle goes at certain higher speeds then returns when slowed and on idle. i would have turned it off immediatley but i wanted to get it home as i was only a mile away. it still pulled as normal, no lose of power or anything apart from the rattle.

This is a strange one as i was driving all morning and it felt great, really smooth, i stopped at a shop to pick things up get back in, start it up and immediatley it rattles its brains out!. I am booked in at honda in the morning, i explained to them my symptoms and they said bring it in on monday but i really do not want to drive it for fear of me making it worse! Do they offer a pick up on a low loader or is that down to me? the dealership is only 6 miles away from me.

Any advice on what they think it is and also with getting my car there would be much appreciated

I guess they'd have said don't drive it if they thought it shouldn't be driven.

Best take it real easy though.

Personally I wouldn't drive it. At the moment the engine still runs, could be a tensioner come loose. If the chain jumps you have the potential to completely wreck your engine.
New engine = 12k bill.

I'd phone up my breakdown company Monday morning and tell them it's making a bad noise, let them come out and listen to it very briefly, tell them you think it's the timing chain so you don't want to drive it, and get them to tow it to Honda where coincidentally they will have a slot to book your car into. :D

lol i have a guy coming tomorrow morning to pick it up, last thing i want to a wrecked engine.

If it's the chain then I think there is an extended warranty :unsure:

yeah i believe there is just hope honda honour it as past few services iv done myself using using all honda parts and correct 0 30 oil, not counting my chickens as anything can go wrong, wish me luck!

Yes it could be but it still pulled ok? It was a spinning sensation so could be either or. It is in honda now so waiting for the dreaded phone call. They asked me to bring it in at 8:30am, i asked about the time scales for it and they said oh we will bring it in the workshop around midday and sometime after that we will call you once we know what is up with it and then she just looked at me with that **** off expression....so they made me bring it in when they opened but not going to look at it til midday at the earliest.

Also maybe im expecting too much but should they have provided me with a courtesy car or is that not until they are actually doing work on it as for now, it is just diagnostics.

Just had a call from honda and they said it is not the timing chain, they checked bottom end and thats fine and now they are looking at the DMF :|

when first reading I too thought dmf. My local honda do dmf and clutch for 700 iirc.

it is the clutch and flywheel and they have quoted me 1500....is this some kind of joke? coming from lightcliffe honda, liverpool

Sounds about right.... dmfs ate blooming expensive

Have you called them?

Apologies, git ny sums wrong... it is a little steep. Are they offering the clutch on the Honda happiness scheme?

she never mentioned about the happiness. I said i could not afford and that price seems very steep, she said she will call me back in 5 mins....20 mins later im still waiting :| i rang back ust now and someone said she was busy with a customer, i think im giving honda holdcroft a call as soon as i clear the liverpool honda up, my car is currently in there.

Your still looking at around 1200 I reckon.

id accept £1200 for the convience of it already being in there as i would have to pay them for the time they've been on it and also a low loader down to stoke, still waiting, customer service in there is awful! the girl answers the phone to me like im her mate and seems like she doesnt really give one.

absolute joke, she has left me too long now that she cant speak to anyone from the parts who can look at a discount so i will have to wait until tomorrow, what an inconvience she has caused! now it is too late to book in with holdcroft as they finished at half 5.

I have said she must make me a priority tomorrow morning.

Flywheel is £872 full whack on Lings Honda website :eek:

Added to £615 Honda Happiness price for new clutch is about £1500.

So who does it for £900?

Ah, just scrolled up, HH for £900 + VAT sorry.

If you get £100 off and subtract the low loader cost is that the same as £1200?

if i supplied a genuine honda clutch and flywheel would honda accept that and just charge me for labour?

Over 8 hours labour as well though Paul, and you won't be getting a decent flywheel for effectively £250 surely - have you any links?