What's new

Suspected timing chain BAD RATTLE

Grim news Jon,

Really need to know what they have done so far, if it is stripped down to examine the DMF most of the labour is already there and it is worth seeing if you can source the parts elsewhere, but have the job done there. If it is more of a Techs gut feeling after checking other items, then the labour charge shouldn't be too bad and maybe get alternative quotes.

When you have found out what the costs are so far, maybe worth giving Holdcroft a ring.

*** However if you do get a better price from Holdcroft, please don't use this as a bartering tool with your dealer. Please remember that any price Holdcroft have or will do for club members is discretionary ***

Personally I wouldn't put an after market clutch kit in

i have sourced a genuine honda clutch and flywheel from ebay for £603.95. the girl on phone said to me that the parts alone are £1200.....
there is also a LUK clutch and flywheel for £500.

How much an hour is it at honda? when i rang up they said it would be £59 to look at it, no money has since been mentioned

Have they taken the car to bits already without telling you how much it will cost you? - apart from the £59 to look at it.

im not 100% sure what they have done but no mention of money other than the £59, they ruled out chain, ruled out bottom end and next would be to check the flywheel, they did and comfirmed it was the flywheel and thats all iv got from them

im not 100% sure what they have done but no mention of money other than the £59, they ruled out chain, ruled out bottom end and next would be to check the flywheel, they did and comfirmed it was the flywheel and thats all iv got from them

Just watch out they dont hit you with a bigger bill than the £59 just to have a look at it. I suspect it would be more than an hour/£59 to strip down everything and properly inspect the car which it seems they have done so far.

iv took the hit at £1487 all in, i would have gone to HH but i had already sent it in there for diagnostics thinking it was the timing chain and now im too far into costs to take it out and throw it over to HH, not worth it now, shame as im sure i would have got 100 times better service than im getting atm, the woman im dealing doesnt give a s___.

With regards to a courtesy car whilst mine is in getting done what docs do they want? she asked for my insurance to cover the courstesy car, i thought the dealers sort that on there own insurance and nothing to do woth mine

Over 8 hours labour as well though Paul, and you won't be getting a decent flywheel for effectively £250 surely - have you any links?

I just typed Honda accord flywheel in Ebay Dan, came up with a few.

Just my own thoughts on this subject, if you are within warranty or extended warranty then yes, Honda parts and fitting is probably a good idea, but once you are outside the warranty period all that is needed for the service stamp is "A COMPETENT MECHANIC", and the righttools for the job in hand. i'm convinced this wont have any bearing when you come to sell the car on, even to a Honda dealer, this was enforced a few years back to prevent dealers monopolising customers and frightening them into using inflated dealer parts and labour in fact, there is nothing to stop you using a competent mechanic during an initial warranty period, its just that main dealers have you by the short and curlies by stating "to honour any warranty claims you must use genuine parts".

As an example, vehicle out of warranty so no claim off Honda ....

Clutch and DMF from honda £1300 for parts alone plus a good few hours labour at £80-90 an hour. £650ish

Or a good quality replacement cltch and DMF for a few hundred quid and mates rates at £40 an hour you could do this job twice in a few years and still not spend as much as it would cost at Honda.

Next service with Honda if you feel that guilty about ripping them off so you still get your service stamp!

For instance, i know a few very experienced diesel fitters/mechanics that have been at it a lot longer than some of the young Techs i see working at main dealers and would sooner put my car in thier hands any day of the week!!.

just my two pennerth mind !!

With regards to a courtesy car whilst mine is in getting done what docs do they want? she asked for my insurance to cover the courstesy car, i thought the dealers sort that on there own insurance and nothing to do woth mine

I'm really sorry to hear about your car and the large bill you are having to pay :( Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Regards the courtesy car, I guess all dealers will be different. Our local Honda dealer just wanted to see my driving licence and there was a charge of £10 in case of accident, that brought the excess down from a £1000 to £100. That and return the car with the same fuel as given with.

There again, many years ago our local Ford dealer made me take my insurance document, driving licence. The service person then phoned my car insurance company to confirm that the courtesy car they were providing would be totally on my OWN policy!!!!! Didn't go there again, the problem was with a car they'd sold me to!!!! Charming service that was.

John, you're forgetting the special alignment tool.

This makes the clutch pretty much a Honda only job.

Gutted for you mate that is a lot of cash to part with.

Dan i would go anywhere else for a clutch job other than honda because of that

I do feel your pain... mine went dramatically the week after I bought my car.

This was before the happiness scheme too. Cost me £1700 :(

got to look on the bright side, at least its getting done and will hopefully make me love the car again, also re-map is on the cards as soon as i bed in the clutch, which i need info on....best way and how many miles to bed in?

Honda have offered us a warranty, Hubby is thinking about buying it. I was reading the small print though, I don't think anything that is a wearing part is covered. Does anyone know if it would be worth buying the warranty to try to protect against this sort of expense please? Our car has done 96K and I bet the next thing to go could be the clutch and DMF..............

I would have thought the warranty would cover the DMF but not the clutch, anyone know?

Honda have offered us a warranty, Hubby is thinking about buying it. I was reading the small print though, I don't think anything that is a wearing part is covered. Does anyone know if it would be worth buying the warranty to try to protect against this sort of expense please? Our car has done 96K and I bet the next thing to go could be the clutch and DMF..............

I would have thought the warranty would cover the DMF but not the clutch, anyone know?

The clutch won't be covered - as you've said it's a wear and tear item, just like brake pads etc; the flywheel on the other hand might be - I don't know that.

every sine buying this car the clutch and dmf has always been on my mind so geting it change will take a weight off my shoulders but due to this i dont think i would buy another one, sadly as it is probably the best car iv ever had clutch aside :(

Dmf won't be covered either I'm afraid.

Warranty Direct cover DMF's but not clutch. I noted on my Honda warranty there is a section for adding wear and tear on to it. Might be worth asking Honda what the cost is and if it's available to you.

due to this i dont think i would buy another one, sadly as it is probably the best car iv ever had clutch aside :(

Chin up mate, as Michael says the clutch is a wear and tear consumable that's never going to last the life of any manual car nowadays, diesel or petrol.

The re-map will cheer you up ;)

I noted on my Honda warranty there is a section for adding wear and tear on to it. Might be worth asking Honda what the cost is and if it's available to you.

The quote and paperwork has the wear and tear section crossed out, it isn't available to us. Probably because they've thought that was next to go lol, or they didn't like the mileage lol.

I do hope that the clutch DMF failure doesn't rear its head with us. I've had loads and loads of vehicles with very high mileage and touch wood, it isn't something we've ever replaced, not even a clutch.

Really? for a car? Only ones I could find are for bikes.

DMF problems are common to many diesel cars mate. Put it this way, as its all fixed now, it should be all trouble free driving regarding this from now on for quite a long while. Just keep up with the routine maintenance and use geuine parts fluids etc etc and you will be fine. Dont let this put you off Honda's.

Really? for a car? Only ones I could find are for bikes.

No mate, there are a couple of universal ones that will do the job and one listed as Honda with several adapter collars, not needed really tho, its only a piece of plastic to ensure the pieces line up!!

Interesting - could you post a linky?