What's new

Tailgate failure

beneverard

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CDTI
Hello all,

I have a 2004 Accord Tourer and the tailgate will not open, I've already done a bit of poking around, here's the story so far:

Current Symptoms
  • Tailgate warning light is on
  • Very cheap fault code reader returns no error codes
  • Neither the boot handle, nor boot release on the key fob open the tailgate
  • Can only open tailgate using catch inside
Roof Leak

I've experienced a water leak via the roof rails, very similar to this post where the seat belts on the B pillar were getting wet, as well as water pooling in the boot. I caused this issue by strapping items to my roof too tight, pulling the roof rail mountings out a little.

I've fixed this by sealing the entire roof so we're all good there, but when it was leaking it was coming right through the tailgate motor, not cool.

Tried So Far
---

So that's that, any further suggestions? I've heard there's a tailgate ECU, but not sure where it lives.

Cheers,
Ben

If you can get to me, book it in with me for a diagnostic. I can run through a series of tailgate diagnostic tests and also interrogate the ECU for errors.

Drop me a PM for details.

Hey F6HAD, many thanks for the offer, I'm down in Somerset so a little way to you unfortunately.

I found this post yesterday of which has lots more to check, going to go through it over the weekend.

I'm down in Newbury for a night next week so if you don't get sorted over the weekend then maybe hook up with me, it's not too bad from there.

It's quite possibly a wiring break I've seen this before. Peel back the wiring loom from the tailgate and check for broken wires especially around the hinges area where it gets stretched over time

As Fahad says check the wiring. It's a common issue now. I've seen this a few times as well. Inspect the wiring carefully from what I remember the last few I looked at it was always a black wire broken. Not sure why though.

I've managed to make some time to check out this issue again, and after checking the wiring it was indeed the black wire that was broken, also, black and red too.

All soldered back up and it's working again!

Many thanks :)

I was having the exact same issue, and found two broken wires as well.
So, for the fellas who have similar problems with the tailgate - check the wiring which runs from the motor and enters the tailgate, you need to remove only two panels and will see if they are cut/broken, etc.
Obviously, there is a lot of movement there, and if you use the tailgate a lot, the issue is inevitable.

I have four broken wires on the rhs along with a bodged up cpnnection on left I gave managed to get a tailgate loom off ebay dealer wanted £470.
Will post up some pics does anyone know if the saloon and estate wiring loom is the same length ? I have the estate model.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I expect the saloon and tourer wiring looms to be entirely different mate.

Ok thought so will confirm

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk