What's new

Tax disc leaflet

Um4ir

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-CDTI
I received my tax renewal notice for my accord. Enclosed inside was a leaflet about smarter driving. it goes as follows

" Don't coast downhill or towards lights in neutral as this uses more fuel ! "

now this is exactly what I do! as it makes driving in stop start traffic easier and I suppose reduces wear on the clutch

my question is should I continue doing what I am doing or follow the leaflet advice ?

thanks

modern engines are designed to inject no fuel when not under load (i.e. slowing down). If you pop it in to neutral, the engine will idle - using fuel.

I'm fairly sure wear and tear is minimal as they are designed to do this.

M

but dont you use less fuel at idle than you would in low revs? IE coming down a hill or stopping for the lights?

Fuelling is dependant on a number of variables and the ECU is always taking readings from various sensors for load calculation and correct fuelling requirements. The advice is quite general in that leaflet.

I spent a few months coasting in neutral as much as possible on an efficiency drive. Then I read on this forum about leaving it in gear to use no fuel. So I drive like that now. To be honest, there's been no change in fuel consumption, I'm getting about 400 miles a tank around town and some A-Road. But I prefer leaving it in gear as you obviously have more control of the car and you're not putting so much load on the breaks going down hill as the engine in the 2.4 is very tight and pulls the revs down very nicely.

Fuelling is dependant on a number of variables and the ECU is always taking readings from various sensors for load calculation and correct fuelling requirements. The advice is quite general in that leaflet.

so the consensus here is leave it in gear ?

You should always leave it in gear down hill the right gear is important obviously depending on the gradiant you have more control and the engine breaking helps to control the speed too. It's illegal not to have proper control over you vehicle at all times coasting could be seen as not having proper control over your vehicle