What's new

Test drove an Accord 2.2 i DTEC EX 4dr (08) - enocountered noise

Cruithni

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i CDTi EX
Hello Folks,

This is my first post on the forums so bear with me :eek:)

I am looking to replace my 2.2 iCDTi (04) Tourer due to starting problems and a quote for £2,600+ to repair it...yes all four injectors AND the fuel rail...it ran sweet as a nut but suddenly started (no pun intended) experiencing starting issues. But that is another topic which I may delve into later.

I am looking to update to an Accord 2.2 i DTEC EX 4dr (08) 86,300 miles, they are asking for £7,000. It has the odd minor dent on the body work and the boot is slightly mis-aligned downwwards with a minor depression on the side where the boot lid is slightly low (a few mm). The sales chap says they had to refit a nut to sort out an opening issue.

We took it for a test drive, it was low on diesel and we drove to a filling station but as we entered there was what I can only describe as a whining noise coming from the engine area, after £10 of fuel we drove off with the same noise, now intermittent it disappeared after about half a mile. Now what is the likely cause and should I be concerned?

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Best regards

Cruithni

Edit: P.S. I hope I have the correct forum, not sure if this model is a 7th or 8th generation, so plumped for this one.

Welcome. Buy it with a warranty.

They're pretty good cars just watch out for blocked dpf issues. We can solve that though

Many thanks for your quick response and the welcome Sir.

Any idea what the whining noise was?

Regards

Cruithni

Without hearing it I wouldn't want to guess really

Alternator or aircon compressor?

Maybe find a better one, you dont want to take on trouble.

a petrol one preferably, you already spent circa 3k on the previous car it seems (and whatever you spent prior to that too). Do you do big miles?

Thank you folks for your replies, it is good to see such active and interested forum members.

A few years back I used to do 30K a year, now it is in the region of 16-20K per annum, love the diesels (except when they have a problem).

Regards paying £3k on the last one, I didn't pay it, hence looking for a new accord. I've had an excellent experince over many years with this type of vehicle having previously owned three different versions. First one was a petrol EX salon A reg, lovely car :eek:)

Going back to the whine, it was very low on diesel and only started as we came into the filling station, it intermittantly continued for a few hundred yards. If I was made to point out where it was coming from I would say it was coming from the engine compartment, passenger side. The air con was off at the time as I had checked it earlier and we had turned it off to ensure we reached the filling station.

Regarding blocked DPF is there a straight forward way to spot this?

Again thank you folks for your replies.

Best regards

Cruithni

Regards buying a petrol one what milage is the upper limit for a petrol engine? My diesel is at 212,000 and it would seem to be the upper limit for this type.

No easy way to tell regarding blocked dpf unless it's badly blocked in which case poor performance and a warning light on the dash

Don't let the petrol brigade talk you off the I-DTEC it's a fabulous car far better than the I-CTDI.
If your not happy with the one you test drove take another out.

Having recently bought a car with problems and gone through hassle even though under warranty I would say steer clear of this one.

Mine developed a fault within days but if had shown any signs before purchase I'd have swerved it or asked the dealer to investigate and fix before buying.

There's loads out there in your price range. You might even get newer for that money.

Good luck!

A petrol will last as long as a diesel with proper maintenance.
Also no turbo or dpf to worry about.
If I was keeping a car that long and for those miles I would get the 2.0 petrol. Its easy to diy service, cam chain should last, and you'll get 40mpg on a long run.
iDtec struggles to get over 50mpg unless you drive like a nun.

It's not always a simple paper decision. The 2.0 is pretty gutless in my opinion.

I agree with logic around less stuff to go wrong but buying a car is also about how the car makes you feel. If it had to be a petrol then it would be the 2.4 all day for me.

Not a huge difference in road tax or mpg, so the 2.4 isnt as expensive as people think.
The 2.0 is ok, not much torque, but get the revs up and she goes well.

I have to disagree with the comment, 'iDtec struggles to get over 50 mpg unless you drive like a nun'. I think it's a superb engine and driven normally my Tourer has averaged 52 over the last 1000 miles. Only when cold on short runs does it drop below 50. On fast motorway runs this will often increase to nearer 55. In comparison my previous CRV CTDi averaged 42 mpg.

Grandad said:
I have to disagree with the comment, 'iDtec struggles to get over 50 mpg unless you drive like a nun'. I think it's a superb engine and driven normally my Tourer has averaged 52 over the last 1000 miles. Only when cold on short runs does it drop below 50. On fast motorway runs this will often increase to nearer 55. In comparison my previous CRV CTDi averaged 42 mpg.
When you come to scrap it can I have that engine Please, LOL

I am a great granddad but cannot get anywhere near those figures.

Maybe he needs to throw his right foot in with it ;)

edgeoftime

You can have the engine but I'd prefer to keep my foot!

Seriously, I do live in a rural area, but I haven't done anything special to achieve these figures and several Accord owners' reviews state 50+ as average consumption. When What Car did their 'real world mpg' SUV tests, the CRV with this engine averaged 47.6 mpg, which was the most economical 4x4 SUV on test.

I also tow a 1300kg caravan and the car averages 32 mpg towing.

I have a tourer its a great car as for the noise it might be the top aux pully mine did it.

if only you could wait till next year il be selling mine less miles and no body work etc full service history every 5k just done full service disc and pads all fluids changed dpf removed and remapped

Grandad said:
edgeoftime

You can have the engine but I'd prefer to keep my foot!

Seriously, I do live in a rural area, but I haven't done anything special to achieve these figures and several Accord owners' reviews state 50+ as average consumption. When What Car did their 'real world mpg' SUV tests, the CRV with this engine averaged 47.6 mpg, which was the most economical 4x4 SUV on test.

I also tow a 1300kg caravan and the car averages 32 mpg towing.
I ***ume you are talking computer read outs? I go from warning light to full up, about 50 litres and the odometer shows 495 miles there or thereabouts, so if I ease off I may get to 10 miles per litre, Mine is automatic, so I expect less, but the drive is "magic" and invigorating. LOL

I never get more than 42mpg from my IDtec auto even though I do mostly long runs in it and rarely properly boot it, it is not the mega mpg i was hoping for, but it is not advertised as one either. (Though my Mway speeds may be a bit high (may??). Even my wife gets not a lot more than this, and sometimes I think someone has cut her right foot off.
I expect this to chug away past 200k. My previous car, an Audi petrol, saw 195k when i sold it, still on original exhaust and turbos!

Many thanks for your input folks. I decided not to go with that car as there was too much corrosion for the price being asked.

I might be selling my Ex Gt saloon as I need a bigger boot now so could do with an estate. There's no corrosion as there's no sun roof. Full honda service. Roof and boot spoiler and side mouldings added 2 weeks before the wife got pregnant. 790000 miles.

If your interested let pm me and ill give you more detail. As im in the process of trying to figure out what I should change too I havnt looked at the value of my car yet.

I test drove a civic tourer EX which drove great but the car really cheap compared to the Accord. I was quite astonished.

Its difficult chosing a car far kids..

Accord Tourer isn't really big enough in the back seats.

What cars are you looking at Jace?

The top of the range civic tourer originally but my accord is actually better. That scuppered my plans so I've been seeing if I can afford a mazda 6 tourer as they do an auto with great mpg which suits my closet grandpa driving. I'm not sure what other makes I should look at apart from nissan and Toyota. A crv would be great but with a 16k final payment I'd rather stay clear of that.

With so many other expenses round the house that have just been done and need doing in the next couple of weeks. I'm gonna find it hard to part with my cash. I've just had a garage conversion which involved partitioning it off to create a play room. That now needs carpeting. I also need to buy some kitchen units for storage for the garage/workshop. I've had really nice steel side hinged garage door. I could do with a new front door but got quoted £2000! It's my son's birthday in December and then there's Xmas!

I just need a nice affordable reliable car with heated seats xenon lights and a large boot. So far I it seems like its going to cost me about 10k to change and another 10k if I do a pcp and buy the car after 3yrs. The whole process is daunting to be honest but I do need a bigger boot.

Roof box for the Accord?

Lol its crossed my mind. Actually I might as well just buy a freaking cheap van and leave it on my parents drive. It will be cheaper than tryin to get a crv

Latest shape CRVs start around £15k used with sensible miles.
Lots of pre reg Civic tourers for £15k approx.

I went for the Octavia as the boot and back seat space are much bigger than the Accord.

Is that the saloon or estate you went for and What mpg are you getting from it?

I think I'm leaning towards the volvo v60 and mazda 6 as I might buy the car instead of pcp. I need to test drive both and look at my finances as I think changing my car is going to cost more than I'd like.

I do find that the 8th gen is great car and it seems that its going take a bigger chunk of cash to upgrade from which is not ideal for me at the minute. Ill see if the dealers have any decent offers otherwise I'll put my car up for sale in the next few weeks and see what happens then buy a car out right.

I've got the hatchback. Boot is bigger than the 8th gen tourer. 590 litres.
1.2 TSi 110ps petrol, dont laugh...

Its really good, £30 road tax, average 50 mpg. 0% finance also.