What's new

thinking to change coolent myself..

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
hi guys..i'm back, very nice forum
today, i check my oil which is fine, but the coolent in the tank seems lower than usual level that i check last time..then i begin to think if i could change the coolent with new one myself..i'm not the mechanic at all
but, i have the instuction from the workshop manual from the net..it tells you what coolent you need, and how to do step by step for that accord tourer 2.2 i-cdti.. so, do you think i can go ahead to do it myself during weekend?
some advice is appreciated...
cheers..

only you can answer that. It's a pretty straight forward job though and as you've got the instructions ....
remember though dispose of the old coolant legally. - you can't just pour it down the drain......

Main thing to remember is that you need the correct coolant for your engine, recommend genuine honda coolant. Secondly when refilling you have to make sure that you bleed the system properly by allowing the air to release from the expansion tank.

To remove the coolant there will be a drain plug at the bottom of radiator somewhere.

When ever I change coolant I let the car run for about 30 mins on idle with the expansion tank cap off so the air can rise and release.

Oh yes also make sure the heater is set to Hot so the water can flow right around the system.

Things to remember is that you have to make sure all the coolant has been flushed out of the system. I normally do this by draining the system, refilling with water and then running the engine up to tempreture and then draining the system. I normally do this 3-4 times or until the water coming out is clear.

Then once happy refill with the correct mix of coolant and then bleed the system by allowing for the air to escape from the expansion tank. I would also once the water level settles take the car for a run and warm up the engine, then let the car to cool and check the level of coolant and add as appropriate. Thats pretty much it. Always keep an eye on the engine tempreture to ensure there is no air pockets trapped in the pipe work.

Shabz you sound that you spent whole day doing that coolant changing lol,I will go to local Honda deal to get the coolant and some o-ring&washer is need?oh, may I take pics while I doing that for forum as future reference:)

Gav after change coolant where is right place to chuck away?recycle centre?

yep in a recycle centre that takes it. the coolant really is one of the simplest changes you can do on the Accord. the white butterfly screw maybe a bit tight, if its use a pair of pliers as leverage, basically have the jaws of the pliers either side of the handles and twist using the plier handles as extra leverage (i hope that is clear?).

also with any of these jobs it not how it done but really what you have to prepare for..what the manual doesn't tell you is that the coolant will probably go everywhere ;) ..so have a big drain pan ready, if it's your first go you'll probably be satisfied at this stage to just get the coolant back in and filled and bled :lol: ..best of luck and ofcourse take some pics and post in the DIY!

Ray, the coolant in your Accord is longlife and should be good for upto 125k miles I believe. How low is it?

not quite sure why you want to change the coolant because its low I would've thought if its low you must have a slight leak somewhere

Hi Alnug thanks for that advice and will follow what u said hope it's smooth job to to
Faddy today I check again I hope it's not necessarily to do coolant replacement but for that distance between MIN-MAX coolant level stay on about 1/3 of that distance where it should be about 1/2 of that, so I think it's unusual isn't it? Where can I check if there's leak somewhere

Hi Alnug thanks for that advice and will follow what u said hope it's smooth job to to
Faddy today I check again I hope it's not necessarily to do coolant replacement but for that distance between MIN-MAX coolant level stay on about 1/3 of that distance where it should be about 1/2 of that, so I think it's unusual isn't it? Where can I check if there's leak somewhere

You can check in the usual places, hoses, water pump, radiator etc. You could also get a pressure test done?

Presure test sounds good idea to know if it's leak somewhere but the car is 6years old now the coolant should need to be replaced anyway is it dear for the pressure test in the garage?

All depends on where you go. Althought I would first check visually to see for coolant dried residue

Hi today I check again the coolant stays the same level if there is leak somewhere it wouldn't had been on this level, I think there shouldn't be any leak in cooling system at all!one man who is mechanic said to me is waste of money to change coolant if the level stays between Min&Max,do I change it or not change it anyone have suggestion?
in order to let everyone know if it's usaul level or not there is the pic taken today..
img0142g.jpg

really i don't think you have a leak anywhere, you will find the coolant level change slightly depending on temperature or even maybe sometimes if you have a bit of air in the system (most likely the case). Anyhow it's a good idea to change the coolant given it's been in the car for 6 years...it tend to acquire junk in it and it's best to give the system a new dose of coolant just as a preventative measure for corrosion.

on a similar note about fluids, sometimes I find the schedules are a bit optimistic...yes the car will probably do the distance the service guide suggests but for things such as transmission fluid you will really feel the difference if changed earlier (and the stuff that comes out even at 30K miles is just gunk), best of luck.

Alnug-thanks for that and I decide I'm going to change the coolant you are right! I bought the car at 66k and now 73k i don't think people had ever change the coolant for her,should be the time to give preventative measure for corrosion! And also thinking the MTF as well! But will do one by one

hi guys, just want to make everthings as clear as possible..i have two pics here, i just need right tool and find the right position of that drain bolt..

coolant.jpg
what tool is for that bleed plug 'B' please..
coolant1.jpg
where about is that, somewhere near the buttfly drain plug?

Ray, if you decide to do the coolant then please take plenty of pics and make it a good DIY for us.

Regarding the gearbox oil - use Honda MTF3 and the procedure is very easy - its even described in your owners manual.

Faddy yes I will do full DIY with pics after I successfully replace the coolant of my Honda at this moment I gather all the equipment and instruction I need then will go ahead to do it! Cheers

B looks like a 1/4" square socket..you can use your 1/4" ratchet if that's the case, as for the other bolt get underneath the car next to where the exhaust comes out near the driveshaft

Faddy yes I will do full DIY with pics after I successfully replace the coolant of my Honda at this moment I gather all the equipment and instruction I need then will go ahead to do it! Cheers

Did anyone manage a DIY for coolant change? I've read the manual, but some hands on advice and decent pictures wouldn't go amiss -in particular the bleed procedure.