What's new

Too much oil?

flam3

Members
Reaction score
Car
07 EX i-VTEC 2.4
Hi Guys,

I've just got i-VTEC 2.4 Accord and noticed that oil level is above the upper dot on the dipstick. Dealer must have overfilled it.

Do you think that might cause an issue and better to drain it?

Thanks

Funny that, after I spent 2k getting my engine sorted at my dealership I checked the oil when I got home and they too had overfilled it by miles. I didn't take it back and just kept the revs down till it eventually was correct on the dipstick. They must know these k24 engine's drink lots. Talking of drinking day 24 dry Jan!!

Oh and yes it was a Honda dealership!!

Accords said:
Funny that, after I spent 2k getting my engine sorted at my dealership I checked the oil when I got home and they too had overfilled it by miles. I didn't take it back and just kept the revs down till it eventually was correct on the dipstick. They must know these k24 engine's drink lots. Talking of drinking day 24 dry Jan!!
Hey Accords, how long did it took you to 'burn it down' to the normal level?

Not long about a 3 weeks. I was trying to take it easy but you know what its like with that engine. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it. I try and do a oil check
every week.

I haven't found my K24 to use a lot of oil at all. In fact it's only needed one top up of around 750mls since I changed the oil last April. Will be changing again soon.

I'd definitely recommend removing excess oil if the engine is overfilled rather than attempting to burn it off.

Oil consumption in the k24 tends to be directly related to how much vtec you use ;)

Agreed that waiting for excess oil to burn off is a bad strategy

The dealer (belgium!!) did it with mine too. As my accord doesn't burn oil, i don't check it regularely. So took up to 2500 miles before i noticed. Glad i drive like a grandad...

I've overfilled by about half that in the past and not had any problems but never that much.

Up to you but if you're bothered why not roll up at the garage and show them - it would only take 5 mins to put the car on a ramp and drain the overfill.

Personally if was that much I would do something about it - but others may disagree.

At the end of the day the garage have not done their job properly so a little polite ***ertiveness wouldn't be out of order.

Cliffordski said:
I've overfilled by about half that in the past and not had any problems but never that much.

Up to you but if you're bothered why not roll up at the garage and show them - it would only take 5 mins to put the car on a ramp and drain the overfill.

Personally if was that much I would do something about it - but others may disagree.
Yes, I think that's exactly what I'll do.

Thanks all for the help

F6HAD said:
Oil consumption in the k24 tends to be directly related to how much vtec you use ;)

Agreed that waiting for excess oil to burn off is a bad strategy
Totally agree I use about 0.5 l every 6k but I do love the Vtec.

I will have to agree the others on this one. That's a massive overfill compared to mine. They must have got the new boy to do yours. Sorry I should have asked you how much of an overfill it was. My bad!!