Torn between petrol and diesel

ATA

Members
Reaction score
Car
gen 7 tourer
Hi , ,my first post was here
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/15303-hi-from-manchester/

been looking around the forums and my initial opinion was to look for a diesel accord , mainly due to the fact i need a car with decent boot space so either the saloon or the tourer. Dont realy matter as long as i can get a minimum of 2 bseiling kit bags in there along with ropes for abseiling :)
Reason my initial thoughts were diesel as since the rx8 ivea astra sri ctdi of which the mrs has taken the astra she loves it
I also had a audi a4 tdi sport but sold that when when the instrument cluster decided to fail.
. The guy i sub contract to said he would pay diesel costs for runing from job to job and not all petrol expenses..
Then we do 600 mile minimum when visiting the mrs, parents near Stranraer, try and get up every other month atleast.

ive heard mention of faults lists for both the diesel and petrol models, but aint found any actual lists as such, just various threads as been looing more at the diesel faults

at the end of the day i suppose im just wary of buying a dud , and a with a few years of rx8 ownership i heard of horror stories :(, luckily i wasnt one of them - though i did sell one to buy a newer one with only 18k miles.. the one i sold with 41k miles needed full engine rebuild t 43 k miles apparently , yet sold with brillian compression
But i loved the rex and before that i had a few years of dont laugh :) i had a few ford probes :)

miss the petrol cars so now im torn :)

Looked at a few accords ( not to buy ) just when passing and for the price you pay there is alot of car for the money :) along with comfort :)

Every car needs maintained as it should but can any one guide me on what to look out for on a petrol accord ? as i think i know what im looking for on the ctdi model , plus the petrol models seem to be quite a bit lower in price

budget isnt huge, id say max 2500 and hopefully looking to buy before the weekend

thanks

dave

Diseasel is for tractors and soaking rusty nails in .

Diesel is for warships

Petrol is for lawnmowers and arson.

Petrol is for Formula 1

Seriously, it all depends on the mileage. Petrols are by far more reliable than their diesel counter parts as they are simpler (mechanically). This is particularly important as the car gets older as DMFs, turbos, timing chains, VSA modulators, EVR, EGR, IMRC, etc all bear out in the diesel.

The big reason to take the diesel over a petrol now, especially with a budget of £2.5K is the MPG that the diesel can return. But a blown turbo will wipe those savings quickly. I do between 15-20K miles per annum in a 2.4 petrol, it's a 04 so while I visit the petrol pump more often than it's diesel equivalent, I know it'll just keep running.

Both petrol and diesel have their common faults on older models, e.g. droplinks, bushings, abs sensors, etc. But these are relatively cheap fixes.

Welcome to the forum.
My advice is have a good look on the forum and buy what will suit your needs.
If your doing under 12k a year them a petrol might be the way to go.
If it's up and over 15k then a diesel might be better

Budget 2.5k? I'd only consider a petrol, no matter what the make of car. Then again, I'm somewhat biased even if your budget was 12.5k I'd still say petrol.

DECISIONS DECISIONS :)

Thanks for replys but still i dunno what to do lol

a few diesels about but just spotted these 2 :)

seen a nice 2004 2.4 i-VTEC TYPE S , dont like the spoiler on the back though, way too big for me :p 113k miles , close to me but only part service history . ( grey )

or
55 plate 2.0 I-vtec ( white ) 138k miles with full comprehensive service history

It's true, both have their merits and drawbacks. Personally, I'd put the diesel mileage at nearer 15,000 a year in order to justify driving diesel. As Jason says, modern diesels, regardless of Honda or not, will return much better mpg, but they're technically much more sophisticated and therein lies the potential for more issues as these many more technicalities age and/or wear out.

That said, with the advice around here, many issues can be sorted for less money than might first seem. Basically, unless you're in the super high mileage club, it's a tricky decision. Thankfully, I'm borderline 10K a year, so petrol was a no brainer when I was car shopping. I'd hate to be in the undecided camp. There are win and lose factors on both sides.

So what mileage are you doing per annum?

DECISIONS DECISIONS :)

Thanks for replys but still i dunno what to do lol

a few diesels about but just spotted these 2 :)

seen a nice 2004 2.4 i-VTEC TYPE S , dont like the spoiler on the back though, way too big for me :p 113k miles , close to me but only part service history . ( grey )

or
55 plate 2.0 I-vtec ( white ) 138k miles with full comprehensive service history

I bought my 2004 TypeS 2 weeks ago with 87000 on de clock , 12 month MoT ,honda history , no rust no dents clean and tidy ..blah blah .. Well under £2000 , infact enough to insure it for the year below £2000 quids .

around 5k on the trips to scotland then there is trips over to see my daughter in cumbria that alone return trip is 300 mile round trip , but she tends to get the train here more often now .

work mileage is variable realy so cant give an exact figure .

quoted very similar price fully comp on both cars , diesel and the 2.4 type s £540 and £650

general wear and tear is just one of thse things , build a bridge and get over it , its gotta be done :)

I'm only guessing here so, 5K to Scotland, visit the daughter 12 times per annum, that's 3,600 miles 8.6K miles and work? 6K miles? 15K miles per annum?

Petrol. As Rob has said, get a 2.4 Type S for less than £2K and you're done.

only seen one type s within budget :) but dont like the spoiler unless can find a new boot in same colour

just personally dont like the spoiler and just part history :(
or the 2.0

DIESEL!!
I only do about 8k a year and still went for a diesel, just because they're awesome.

that one with the A380 spoiler is a no anyway, and you are much better off waiting for a decent 2.4 rather than a 2.0

once you drive a k24 life will never be the same again...!

any k24 you get for less than 2k will be a dawg i am sure and will need more money put into it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310189355545/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/fuel-type/petrol/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/m25db/keywords/type%20s/radius/30?logcode=p

I would go for that one , go to the dealer with cash in your hand and batter him from a starting price of £2300 , but really do not move much from that . That £2989 is a tourists price and is open for serious movement .

:lol: just been told by the mrs. i better not be looking at cars that cost anything like the rx8 did to run :unsure:
better not let her see the fuel bill what i decide on :rolleyes:

It's not the price it's the car and your ability to select the correct bargin .

honda accord parts are expensive, any accords that cost sub 2k might not look that much of a bargain after all.

as for rotary mazdas, forget them. a good accord petrol is much easier to run than one of them.

cant see any reason for someone to get a tourer tbh, slower, too big and cumbersome.

if you got a large family or have several golf bags it might be a reason to get one.

i think this looks better than a tourer :p

9497060472_e28973ff3c_c.jpg

Id go for this one ... Youve got to bear in mind asking price £2300 he probably wants £2k
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311079741011?atmobcid=soc4

Everyone needs a K24 Tourer - regardless of how many kids they do or don't have :rolleyes: I think it looks better than the saloon and it's a not often you see another one on the road.

If you are buying a petrol at these mileages, as long as the service history is up to scratch, then you don't have to worry about the engine. Just be sure the shared parts like suspension are in order. I got stung for a load of suspension parts on this years MOT, it hurt so make sure you get underneath anything you are seriously considering buying.

I don't find the fuel costs that bad on mine. Obviously you're MPG is poor compared to Diesel, but you have a much faster, smoother, quieter, more enjoyable drive and you 'should' have less repair bills should something go pop (as long as you buy sensibly).

Oh, and if you can afford to wait, hold out for a blue one :D

Car.jpg

cant see any reason for someone to get a tourer tbh, slower, too big and cumbersome.

if you got a large family or have several golf bags it might be a reason to get one.

What about if you have two 8 stone dogs?

Hmm, massive car park space overhang... picture submitted to YouParkLikeAC*nt.com

I bought my tourer purely because I wanted it as a load-lugger (not for the looks), but nevertheless it is an attractive car. I find the saloon looks oddly bulky at the rear, as though Honda ran out of design funding when they got to that bit. Despite the superior handling, I guess that's why the saloon isn't so popular?