What's new

Torn between petrol and diesel

Wrong, 2.4s are notoriously thirsty, despite what some owners might claim.

And, using your friend's logic, an Accord with a 7.0L V8 would be even more economical!.

Not sure I'd say the 2.4 is more economical than the 2.0, but I imagine it has more low end torque, which might be what your friend is referring too. Considering its size, it has the potential to be relatively economical. Expect to average about 27-28mpg with mixed driving, up to 35-36mpg motorway cruising and below 20mpg when you're booting it :unsure: .

From a 65 litre tank, I've almost hit 450 miles before the fuel light has come on. Not bad for a 2.4 that weighs nearly 2 tons (I'm in the Tourer). But on other fills I've managed 250 before the fuel light has come on :blink: . I'm averaging about 380 miles from fill to fuel light of late. Mine's a manual by the way. I know a guy with 2.4 auto, does mostly short trips and never gets above 250 miles from a tank. Personally, I don't know how he affords to run it!

:lol: You never miss an opportunity do you Jon ;) .

Will mentioned in another thread he's likely to be quite low mileage with his planned Accord.

I would love a diesel have had them in past, but I don't think I will use it enough to warrant one, we don't use the car everyday as we both work from home and at the moment are doing around 10k a year mostly city driving with about 1 run a month down the M6 to Liverpool and back.

I do love the torque of a diesel and another friend of mine has a lovely diesel tourer, I have only been a passenger in it but it does move very swiftly, was speaking to him last night and he said he is very happy with his, no issues, just services it puts tyres on, fuels it and changes bulbs, its been great.

In someways I wish I could get a diesel it was my first choice but looking at what I actually do I don't think it would be wise, there are quite a few nice diesels available right now :(

I wouldn't go diesel. We have had them at work and nothing but problems. Engine management light, turbos, limp mode, egr valve, manifold.

If you don't do the miles then 2.4 is a great buy at the moment.

Stevearcade said:
:lol: You never miss an opportunity do you Jon ;) .

Will mentioned in another thread he's likely to be quite low mileage with his planned Accord.
Steve, I was just following up the comment you made, honest!

However, I do think diesels get a bad rap... it's mostly because owners are scared to fix them themselves and so take them to incompetant garages who then change expensive parts (like the fuel pump) unnecessarily until they 'magically' start working again. Even Honda rip you off by not selling individual fuel rail and fuel pump sub-***emblies (even though Bosch do make and sell these parts quite cheaply) so you end up spending £1,000s instead of maybe £100. With a little knowledge (from a forum like TA or Civinfo) you can save a fortune.

In almost 5 years/70k miles I've spent only £93 on diesel-specific (non service) parts. I'll stick with a diesel for now, but I would avoid one with a DPF as I only do shorter journeys these days... and I don't accept 12k miles as the oft-quoted (on TA, anyway) cut-off for petrol/diesel decisions! Mine is quite happy on short journeys and returns at least 40 MPG whatever. Neither diesels nor petrols do well on short journeys... if anything, bore wash on petrols from the rich mixture during warm-up is the most serious concern of all,

I say all the above as someone who has also owned a petrol Toyota MR2 for nearly 11 years. Which I really enjoy driving, as it's a lot more fun than an Accord!

If I could only have one car it would be a very tough decision, I admit,

Plasma said:
I wouldn't go diesel. We have had them at work and nothing but problems. Engine management light, turbos, limp mode, egr valve, manifold.

If you don't do the miles then 2.4 is a great buy at the moment.
You can't count EML and limp mode as problems, they're the result of other problems. Cheat!

PS: Steve - I can now include quotes in my replies!

Glad the quoting's working for you Jon, we're getting there (although poor old Alan has quite a long list of things to work through :( ). It will be worth the effort he's putting in once it's all finished.

Anyway, regards the Diesel, I agree with you John, I think the Diesel Accords get a bad rep at times (mostly from Eric :lol: ), and undeservedly so. They are more prone to a few things, but that's not to say they will go wrong. Your car is testament to that. £93 in repairs and how many miles is yours on? I imagine it's near if not more than 100K.

I used to own a 1993 Diesel Golf that was a great runner and returned good MPG, even when I thrashed the granny out of it. Eventually the gearbox died and I decided on the Accord, but don't get me wrong Jon, I've owned and loved Diesels ;) .

As for 12K a year, I think 12K is still petrol territory, or at least it would be for me. My personal cut off point for Diesel would be nearer or even a little above 15K. But that's just me. It's not right or wrong, just my personal Petrol/Diesel Threshold. But there are many people here on this forum who don't do that much a year and love their diesels.

I think it's simply a case of try a petrol, try a diesel, see which you prefer. Do the maths on how much you think each will cost to run. Weigh up the cost versus feeling and make your decision. Then buy one that's been well loved and looked after.

As I said before I bought a diesel because I prefer the way it drives, same as Jon I'm on short journeys (<5 miles usually), about 9k per year. I don't understand why everyone says if you do less than 12k-15k you MUST get a petrol, just change the oil on the diesel more often.

Jon_G said:
Quoting's stopped working for me again!
John are you signed in as I can't see you on the members list at the bottom

I can see you now

I usually stayed signed in. Maybe me appearing to not be signed in is related to the glitch? Weird how the issue comes and goes.

Jon_G said:
I usually stayed signed in. Maybe me appearing to not be signed in is related to the glitch? Weird how the issue comes and goes.
That might be the reason John I will monitor this and try and make some sence of this.

Ohh and no rear wiper. Need a new one . Possibly a motor as couldn't see what's left of the wiper arm moving. Unless fuse gone. Will check that tomorrow